whistle or horn on lifevests.

Started by Pro Reel, January 06, 2018, 12:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pro Reel

Recent events have reminded me of what I feel is a very important safety item many might not think of. I have a water proof whistle on a lanyard hooked to my life jacket. I urge all of you to consider adding a whistle or small air horn to your life vest. The ability to signal for help could be critical in the cold water.
As I am writing this I continue to pray for the safe return of the co angler in Florida.

Lipripper

For sure a great thing to have on your PFD

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Princeton_Man

I'm beginning to like the Personal Locator Beacons a lot. I don't fish that much big water but that's not to say I won't. PLBs that don't require a monthly fee run between $250 to $400. That's only the price many of us pay for PFDs, a custom rod, or a new reel.

These guys who fish Bassmaster, FLW, Costa, etc. are fishing big water all the time. You'd think they'd all have one.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Lipripper

Quote from: Princeton_Man on January 06, 2018, 12:14:39 PM
I'm beginning to like the Personal Locator Beacons a lot. I don't fish that much big water but that's not to say I won't. PLBs that don't require a monthly fee run between $250 to $400. That's only the price many of us pay for PFDs, a custom rod, or a new reel.

These guys who fish Bassmaster, FLW, Costa, etc. are fishing big water all the time. You'd think they'd all have one.
You would think so PM and since they get out there and fish them Big Waters in all kinds of ruff weather even more so.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: Princeton_Man on January 06, 2018, 12:14:39 PM

I've often wondered why they (the PLB) aren't mandatory for the pro's anyway.  It's one of the basic tools for search and rescue in not only fishing but other activities as well. 
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Sandman7925

In my state a whistle is required by law in your boat.
But as someone who has taken a offshore water survival course multiple times for work I can give some pointers if the worst happens.
1. Obviously a life jacket can make the difference between life and death.
2. Something to signal others visibly. A small mirror is in every life boat kit offshore.
3. As mentioned a noise making device.
4. If cold water is present. Tuck hands in armpits crossing your arms and cross you're legs. If your not alone link arms with the other people but keep you're hands in your armpits. Keep
Knees bent. Kinda like a fetal position but let the life jacket keep you upright.
4. If no life jacket you can turn a pair of pants into one. Probably best to google that as I don't know how to articulate that but it can be done. We were never allowed to fly offshore in shorts for that reason.
5. If not alone tell jokes, sing, whatever you have to do to keep sprits up. It can make a difference in the long run.
6. If some one dies cut them loose. Doesn't matter if they are family or friend. Let them drift away.
7.  If you're in a swampy area and the mosquitoes are really bad. Bury yourself in mud and lay a t shirt over your face. A few hundred mosquito bites and you'll wish you had. And hope a gator doesn't show up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topdsm0138

I have a whistle on my vest. Just a habit I picked up from the men and women from Hero's on the water, for when we go kayaking.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

Princeton_Man

I picked up a couple of these for my pfd's today. They're small, water activated, and 300 hours of operation is great compared to most that I looked at.

I'm still looking at the PLB choices, there aren't many and they don't trigger automatically since a false alarm would still summon help.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

68camaro

Why not both...."one is none and two is one"
Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass

Princeton_Man

Quote from: 68camaro on January 07, 2018, 09:57:49 PM
Why not both...."one is none and two is one"

I like the idea of both. I'm still researching the PLBs. The water activated strobe is very small, light, and activates when it contacts water and flashes for 300 hours. All of the PLBs I've looked at transmit for around 50 hours.

The PLBs require manual activation, something that might be difficult or impossible for an injured person to do. My cell phone is water resistant, has location services turned on, is in a protective case, and on me at all times. According to one article I read, that's how they found Kesiah so fast.

Right now, I'm only looking at the PLBs the do not require monthly or annual subscriptions. Of the ones I've researched so far, I like the Ocean Signal rescueME PLB1 and the ACR ResQLink.Both are in the $250 price range. The ACR unit also sends a homing signal on 121.5 Mhz in addition the satellite signal.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

cport

Quote from: Sandman7925 on January 06, 2018, 02:52:32 PM

4. If no life jacket you can turn a pair of pants into one. Probably best to google that as I don't know how to articulate that but it can be done. We were never allowed to fly offshore in shorts for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They taught us that one in the Navy. Tie the bottom of each pant leg together with a basic square. Then pull the pants out of the water and whip them over your head waist first onto the water's surface to trap air. Hold the waist together with hand after inserting your head in between the pants legs. Keep the knot and legs wet to help keep air in (shouldn't be a problem). Repeat as necessary. If you are wearing those stupid fashion jeans with the holes, you are screwed lo
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣