09 175txw seat posts

Started by djarmy_19, January 06, 2018, 03:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djarmy_19

Help please! I can't get my pedestals out , they are Springfield seat posts. Tried pulling straight up and tried unscrewing but to no avail. Don't want to cut carpet to remove base, what am I doing wrong?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Sandman7925

Spray some kroil in it if you can. Use some large channel locks and unscrew more. Might not have unscrewed enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lipripper

Yelp try what Sandman suggested and would you please stop by here and introduce yourself to everyone.
Let Us Get To Know You

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Oldfart9999

Welcome aboard!!!! Don't forget to try the new members contest, you could win a really nice prize!!! I'm not sure which ones the boat came with but do try get some oil into the base. Let us know how you make out, it could help someone else!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

gatorglenn

That year doesn't screw in. When I bought my 06. I had the same problem. The first owner never took it out, under a covered dock. On a lift. It was rusted in. Took a lot of penetrating oil, and a impact hammer. From the bottom, after taking that front section of deck off.

Take the bow panel off. And you'll find I think it's 12 screws in the carpet. Flip it over and a drift punch and hammer should work. Once it's out run a wire pipe cleaner though the base. And sand off the post pin, and your good as new. There is a hose on the bottom for rain water. It will get kinked. In my case. Then water will just sit in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
06 PT 175 TX
Mercury 60 hp

djarmy_19

Quote from: gatorglenn on January 06, 2018, 06:48:07 PM
That year doesn't screw in. When I bought my 06. I had the same problem. The first owner never took it out, under a covered dock. On a lift. It was rusted in. Took a lot of penetrating oil, and a impact hammer. From the bottom, after taking that front section of deck off.

Take the bow panel off. And you'll find I think it's 12 screws in the carpet. Flip it over and a drift punch and hammer should work. Once it's out run a wire pipe cleaner though the base. And sand off the post pin, and your good as new. There is a hose on the bottom for rain water. It will get kinked. In my case. Then water will just sit in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for your response. Soaked it tonight hopefully I can get it out tomorrow. 

WTodd

After you get it out and cleaned, spray some Alumi-Slick in the hole. Alumi-Slick is for sliding glass door tracks. Available at Home Depot or Lowes

djarmy_19

Quote from: WTodd on January 06, 2018, 09:00:21 PM
After you get it out and cleaned, spray some Alumi-Slick in the hole. Alumi-Slick is for sliding glass door tracks. Available at Home Depot or Lowes

Thanks that's a great tip!

WTodd

No problem; it lasts A LOT longer than WD-40 or alike

SteveTX

Mine were not stuck but if these are the slip in like mine just a heads up. Once you get the post out.
1. Be very careful not to use anything that will take the material out of the base. If you do keep it very very minimal. You want the post to be fairly snug. Not tight but not loose either or the seat will wobble. A very small amount of play at the base can turn into considerable wobble at seat height.
2. My seat posts made groaning and awkward noises at times when swiveled. I posted somewhere asking about this and was directed to try paraffin. Needless to say paraffin is clean and almost no mess. Much much easier to get a few shavings of wax up than oils. Just clean the post stem that gets inserted into the base. Rub paraffin liberally over the post and insert. Mine has been quiet ever since I did one coating. I like the fact its not oily and doesn't run anywhere. Last its very cheap.  :)

djarmy_19

Quote from: SteveTX on January 06, 2018, 10:04:07 PM
Mine were not stuck but if these are the slip in like mine just a heads up. Once you get the post out.
1. Be very careful not to use anything that will take the material out of the base. If you do keep it very very minimal. You want the post to be fairly snug. Not tight but not loose either or the seat will wobble. A very small amount of play at the base can turn into considerable wobble at seat height.
2. My seat posts made groaning and awkward noises at times when swiveled. I posted somewhere asking about this and was directed to try paraffin. Needless to say paraffin is clean and almost no mess. Much much easier to get a few shavings of wax up than oils. Just clean the post stem that gets inserted into the base. Rub paraffin liberally over the post and insert. Mine has been quiet ever since I did one coating. I like the fact its not oily and doesn't run anywhere. Last its very cheap.  :)
Thanks good tip!