Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rod Line Ratings and Line Diameters  (Read 242 times)

fishballer06

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Rod Line Ratings and Line Diameters
« on: January 08, 2018, 12:16:43 PM »

A member of another forum that I frequent posted a question about following the recommended line weight rating according to your rod. I had mentioned that I do not follow them or even acknowledge them at all. To which, another person responded saying that if I'm using a rod rated to 15lb line and I use 65lb braid and my rod breaks, it's all my fault for using to heavy of a line. This person then went on to say that the reason rods break is because we don't follow line ratings for rods and that using to powerful of a line makes your rod the weak point.

His point got me thinking. To some extent, I agree with him, but for the most part, I strongly disagreed with him. Yes, if you go out there with a 5'6" light powered trout rod and put some 65lb. braid on it and bombed a frog out there and the rod snapped on the hookset, then yeah, I'd say that's your fault for trying something so silly. It'd be like taking a Ford Ranger and trying to pull a double wide trailer. Don't be surprised whenever your transmission falls out, right?

To my defense for my side of the argument, I don't pay attention at all to a rods line ratings. In fact, I couldn't tell you the rating for a single rod I own. There's too many variables that go into so many things in freshwater bass fishing. One companies medium power is another companies medium heavy. One companies fast action is another companies extra fast action. 12 pound line from 5 different companies is 5 different diameters. Those same five 12 pound lines have 5 different actual breaking strengths. The list goes on and on...

So I decided to research a few of the rods I own to see what their line ratings were and to see if I'm using the "recommended" lines on them. I also searched quite a few popular line's to see how their diameters and strengths compared. Below is the copy pasted version of what I posted in response on this other forum.

So my question to the UltimateBass guys is this - Do you pay attention to recommended line ratings for your rods? Or are you like me and think nothing of it because there are too many uncontrollable variables? I know we have a few rod builders on this website, so maybe we can get some "professional" opinions.

There are way too many variables in affect to be worrying about line diameter. In general, most fluoro's are thinner than mono. In general, every companies lines have different diameters and actual breaking strength vs listed strength. Because of your point, I went and looked up the ratings for some of my rods and some popular lines that people use. 

Rod: G Loomis GLX 853C JWR

Rating: 12-16 pound line

Trilene XT Mono - 12lb: .38mm

Trilene XT Mono - 14lb: .40mm

Trilene XT Mono - 17lb: .43mm

Trilene Big Game - 15lb: .381mm

Sunline Sniper FC - 12lb: .29mm

Sunline Sniper FC - 14lb: .31mm

Sunline Sniper FC - 16lb: .33mm

Sunline Sniper FC - 20lb: .37mm

Sunline Sniper FC - 25lb: .41mm

Sunline Defier Mono - 15lb: .320mm

Sunline Defier Mono - 22lb: .380mm

Gamma Polyflex Copoly - 12lb: .33mm (Gamma claims 20 lb actual strength)

Gamma Polyflex Copoly - 14lb: .36mm (Gamma claims 23 lb actual strength)

Gamma Polyflex Copoly - 17lb: .38mm (Gamma claims 26.5 lb actual strength)

Sufix 832 Braid - 30lb: .29mm

Sufix 832 Braid - 40lb: .33mm

Sufix 832 Braid - 50lb: .34mm

Sufix 832 Braid - 65lb: .40mm

Pro Pro Braid - 30lb: .28mm

Pro Pro Braid - 40lb: .33mm

Pro Pro Braid - 50lb: .36mm

Pro Pro Braid - 65lb: .41mm

So if I were to worry about what pound line I'm using on my rod, I'd have one heck of a time knowing where to draw the line. If my rod is rated for 12lb. mono and Trilene XT is my favorite mono, I'm looking at a .38mm diameter. However, if I wanted to stick with a .38mm diameter line, I could increase my line strength to 20 pound Sunline Sniper FC or even go up to 22lb. Sunline Defier mono! If I were wanting to use braid, I could use 50 pound Sufix or Power Pro and step down to a smaller line diameter. 

Even using your example, if my rod is rated for 15lb. diameter mono and I like Trilene XT, 14lb. XT gives me a .40mm diameter, which is the exact same diameter of 65lb. Sufix 832. 

The real reason a majority of rods break is:

Manufacturer defect

Damaged (during shipping, stepped on, pinched in a door, jammed into ceiling or truck bed, etc. Could break upon doing so or during extended use)

Locked drag (will cause line or rod to break)

High sticking/boat flipping

Ponson416

• Smallmouth
Re: Rod Line Ratings and Line Diameters
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 01:09:50 PM »

So my question to the UltimateBass guys is this - Do you pay attention to recommended line ratings for your rods? Or are you like me and think nothing of it because there are too many uncontrollable variables? I know we have a few rod builders on this website, so maybe we can get some "professional" opinions.

I go rod shopping with a particular application in mind.  So, more than likely the rod I choose will be rated for what type of line and lure weight I plan on throwing.  I do look at the line and lure weight ratings, but it's usually just to confirm what I already know.
All men are equal before fish

ItsJason

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 03:09:15 PM »

Just a few things I've learned about rods from actually building them:
Line ratings aren't just about strength/breakage of rods. It also has a lot to do with guide size, type, and layout. Smaller diameter, more supple lines flow through the guides in a completely different way then stiffer, thicker lines, and using the right line for a rod Will give you better performance. On most factory rods using braid kind of negates that, since it's so supple. But a builder can sure as heck tune a rod to a specific line type and diameter. How much of this goes on and into a factory rod though, I dunno.
As far as differences in action/rating, there SHOULDNT be. There are industry standards in place for wether a rod is rated medium heavy or fast action and what not. It's established by hanging specific weights on blanks and seeing where and how far a given blank bends in relation to an arch chart.
How bad conventional companies are now deviating from this again I dunno. In the fly scene, it's gotten completely out of control. People are paying a full grand for a 5 weight rod that's faster than some other 5 weight rod, when all they are really getting is actually a 6 weight rod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

fishandkamp

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 03:55:00 PM »

In my opinion the poster that you spoke of totally forgot that in most cases a properly adjusted drag system will protect the rod.  For example, my wife and I were fishing with a pair of G Loomis 6 foot spinning rods rated as fast action light power rods. It is rated for 6 to 10 pound line and lures that weigh 1/16 to 5/16.  We regularly spool our reels with 14 pound Berkley FireLine ( equal to 6 pound mono in diameter) and add a 4 foot 8 pound leader made of PLine CXX..  While fishing for big smallies on Dale Hollow we had to throw Ned Rigs to get a bite ( the big females had just come of the beds).  She hooked an 8 pound cat. I had to loosen the drag a bit more than usual and she fought that fish for a good 10 minutes. I laughed my tail off as she looked like Ike running between the front and back deck.  Anyway she never broke the rod, nor the line since the drag on the reel protected it.  If you notice many of the new rods give a rating for mono or copoly and another for braid.  It is important though to know your equipment and adjust that drag properly. It also means you need to have the proper maintenance done , have your reels cleaned and properly lubed and grease.

analfisherman

• Charter Member
  • HOOKS, LIES AND ALIBIES
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 07:15:12 PM »

FISHBALLER, GREAT RESEARCH!
ItsJason, you are right, it's more about castability than anything else.
f&k, YOU ARE SO RIGHT.......reals wouldn't have drag controls UNLESS there was a reason or use for them.
I've brought in 10lb. Carp when Panning with an Ultra-light and 4lb. test line.

Lastly, when you 'need' to use a rod's warranty...........THEY NEVER ASK WHAT TEST LINE YOU HAD ON WHEN ROD BROKE!  ::)

Maybe Gary or Lee or someone will stop in and tell me differently..........BUT I've had a GLX, Croix Legend and even a Croix custom with an Avid Blank all recieved warranty claims..........NEVER DID THEY ASK ME WHAT SIZE LINE I WAS USING!!!!!!!

what about FLIPPING a big bass into a boat.....it's about 'where/how' the wieght was distributed throughout the whole rod
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 09:39:41 AM by analfisherman »
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 06:05:52 AM »

Personally I look at lure rating over line rating.
If my lure is too heavy for the rod then Iím using the wrong rod.
For example I have a medium heavy rod that fishes about half a power less than itís designated rating. But it also shows in the lure rating. It goes to 3/4 oz when the other MH rods I have all go to 1oz. Line rating usually falls in line with the lure rating and the action/power.
But thatís just me.
Iíve only broken one rod and it was the first freshwater spinning rod I bought. I did something stupid that caused it to break though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 07:43:41 AM »

The only reason I look at line rating is for performance when using straight flourocarbon or mono otherwise I don't really pay it any never mind.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 11:27:42 PM »

My head starts hurtin' if I think about stuff like this.
Just an old, broke-down bass fisherman.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 34 queries.