Need Help Selecting Spinning Reel

Started by Bud Kennedy, January 10, 2018, 01:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

I am trying to select a new spinning reel for the Mrs.  I am planning on putting it on a Dobyns Fury rod that is somewhere in the 6'6" - 6'8" length which will most likely be a 3 power.  The tough part for me is getting her a new reel to go with the rod.  Have been looking at the Shimano Stradic C14, in the 2500 size.  I have no idea what others to even consider but all I know is I want it to be fairly light and of course smooth.  She currently uses Lews but I am not overly impressed with them and think there must be something a bit better that can get the job done.  I would like to hear some of the thoughts of the membership.  FYI, Since I am not a spinning reel user, I would like something that from time to time I could use as well.

SFL BassHunter

Bud I have a Stradic Ci4 and man is it a hell of a good reel! It's pricey but worth it in my opinion. I really do love it. Don't think you'll find many spinning reels better than this one.

Now on the other side of the spectrum on the cheaper end, I really like the Pflueger Trion and I think its on sale at academy for 29 bucks right now. A step above that the President is a well known highly recommended spinning reel by many. I personally have not used it but considered getting it before I settled on the Stradic.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

twocold

Bud,
I agree with Rick I have 4 stradics and the best spinning reels I have ever used

Smallie_Stalker

I have used Stradics in the past and they were always very solid reels IMO. Never had the Ci4 so I can't speak to that specific model.

Currently I use only Pflueger Spinning reels. I use the higher end Patriarchs which are around the same price as the Stradics. I also have some of the President reels and they are very smooth and strong, just a bit more on the heavier side since I am used to the lighter weight of the Patriarchs.

Personally I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

cport

If I had 200 to spend, Stradic Ci4 all the way, based on my previous experience with Stradics.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Oldfart9999

I have 1 Pflueger, a Supreme, it's solid and light. I using BPS PRO QUALIFIERs they are smooth and rock solid but are heavy, for me they balance my rods better, they aren't as tip heavy.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bud Kennedy

OK lets try this a different way.  The information I think I am looking for is what does one reel give me that the others don't.  If I buy the Stratic it is one of the more expensive but I am not familiar enough to know if its performance or design is worth the extra money.  It is like I am asking what do I get for my money with any of these reels.  Do I get better casts, Can I cast ultra light weights, just what is it.

FloridaFishinFool

While I am a fan of Shimano, and a huge fan of the stradic line, I am not a fan of the new drag stack in the ci4 reels and I have seen a number of them come into the shop with the drag washers all torn up mainly from people who crank down the drag so tight it causes the damage we have seen to the top drag washer mostly.

Upgrades and modifications might help.

Here is what the new drag stack looks like as compared to the older stradics which I still have and use and prefer to the newer stradics:

Below is the drag stack I prefer over the newer one shown above. You can see there is more surface area to the drag washers which means more friction and more fish stopping power. And there is nothing in there that will rip the drag washer apart if cranked down too tightly like the new mech has. (Second part from left with 4 upright pins shown above)

Even on regular maintenance ci4 reels, I see more fuzz separating from the drag washers in the new reels in a shorter time than I have ever seen on the older reels after years of use. Simple conclusion is the new drag is tougher on the felt washers and there is less of the washer meaning they can wear out faster than the old mech. I have seen drag washers in the older stradics last well beyond 10 years of use before replacing. Not so with the newer stradics. Just a case of buyer beware...

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

nats

The president XT is lighter than the reg. President and looks cool also, and only 79 retail

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on January 10, 2018, 05:25:44 PM
OK lets try this a different way.  The information I think I am looking for is what does one reel give me that the others don't.  If I buy the Stratic it is one of the more expensive but I am not familiar enough to know if its performance or design is worth the extra money.  It is like I am asking what do I get for my money with any of these reels.  Do I get better casts, Can I cast ultra light weights, just what is it.

I'm not sure exactly how to answer this. I don't think the ability to cast different lure weights has much bearing when it comes to spinning reels because nothing on the reel moves when you cast. Possibly the size of the lip around the spool may affect it some because the larger the lip the larger the loops of line that's going to come off but I'm not really convinced that that makes any real difference.

Performance wise the drag on the Pfluegers is very smooth and I have never had any problems with them  seizing or the like. Again, I can't speak about the Stradic Ci4 because I have never had one. The drag on the Stradics I had back in the early 2000's was rock solid though. Set properly I had no problems there either.

The Pflueger patriarchs that I use are made completely from magnesium - body side plates and rotor so they are extremely lightweight which I like because they don't hurt my arms as much as a reel with an aluminum or graphite frame. The drawback to magnesium is that it seems like  you can't even take it near saltwater or it begins to corrode.

I'm not sure that helped at all but I thought I'd offer it up anyways.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

j102

Bud,
The Stradics are excellent reels. Nothing is smoother than a Stradic. But they are expensive.
I prefer Penn reels which are cheaper, braid ready and with higher line capacity. But they weigh a few ounces more and are a bit less smooth. Not a big deal though.
Each have a strong fan base.

Pferox

I agree on the Penns, pretty good bang for the buck.

Whatever reel you choose, make sure it will handle saltwater, you are close enough to the ocean to get pretty brackish from time to time, and salt can kill a reel pretty quickly.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

SFL BassHunter

Out of all the spinning reels I own the Stradic is the smoothest reel by far. It is well built, it has no flex, it casts great and has a phenomenal drag. I pulled back to back 6lb bass out of Kissimmee last year with that reel. It was powerful and managed those fish well.
The stradic is also a light reel compared to many others.

I have a Shimano Sienna which is cheap and I use it for saltwater fishing exclusively. I have a Trion 25, a Penn fierce and an Okuma Helios. Out of all of them the Stradic is my favorite.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Kurt L

I have a lot of Stradics and Ci4's in 2500-5000 size, but my absolute favorite is the Ci4+ FA models The current FB was a step backwards in my opinion and I will not buy another FK Stradic after multiple junkers, but I have had zero issues with the Ci4+ FA's, I have a 2500 that has landed well over 60 Salmon with zero issues, I get a little bit of fuzz from the drag washers at the end of the season but that's it!. I would also look at the new Daiwa LT series of reels you get more for your money than with Shimano, they are very refined and will be my next spinning reel. 

Just my 2 cents, Kurt

analfisherman

Consider a REVO Rocket

What do you get for the money

Spinning reel
Rocket Line Management™ system provides better control for all types of line
Rocket Spool Lip Design™ offers better control of line coming off the spool
Rocket Gear Ratio for superfast line retrieve
AMGearing System™ has precision machined gears for smoothness and durability
Computer optimized gear design for enhanced efficiency
Carbon Matrix™ drag system for smooth and consistent drag pressure across entire drag range
9 stainless steel HPCR™ bearings plus 1 roller bearing for corrosion protection
K-Clutch™ anti-reverse
Slow oscillation for even line lay with all types of line
Strong and lightweight C6 carbon rotor
IM-C6™ body design combines an X-craftic™ gearbox design with a C6 body for a lightweight construction that houses gears in perfect alignment
Everlast™ bail system for durability
Machined aluminum braid ready spool allows braid to be tired directly to spool without any slip
Aircraft grade aluminum main shaft
Compact bent carbon handle is lightweight and has an ergonomic design
Flat EVA knob for comfort and durability

Reel Model   Braid Capacity (yds/ lb test)   Mono Capacity (yds/ lb test)   Gear Ratio   Bearings   Max Drag   Line Recovery   Reel Weight   Hand   
REVO2RCKT20   175/8       120/8   7.0:1           9+1   11 pounds   37 in/turn   6.9 ounces   Reversible

REVO2RCKT30   182/10   175/8     7.0:1   9+1    11 pounds     40 in/turn   7.7 ounces   Reversible

Can be had for $150.....got mine for $142......Retail $199

Feels as good as my Stradics....maybe slightly heavier but unless holding both side by side...unnoticeable.
Very hard to find ANY NEGATIVE reviews....anywhere.
I have the RCKT20........bought for a specific purpose and rod.
Considering a RCKT30........I like 30s as an all purpose reel.

I use Spinning gear easily as much/often as Casting gear.
Durability..........only time will tell.

Side note my Presidents LEs are some of the sharpest, well built, long casting, durable, reels I have fished......ESPECIALLY for $79!
I know 7 anglers who purchased them AFTER trying mine.........again, not the lightest BUT really not heavy either.
Oh I got 2 LEs being used often..........4 still in box.....BUT I found them new in box for $39....so had to buy........I got 4 grandkids.  ;) :)

Good luck and this post is strictly for information sake..........reels are really a 'personal' decision.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Pro Reel

I might be the odd guy out on this, but I don't much reason to spend a lot on spinning reels. As long as they are of good design, they pretty much cast the same and size of spool is the main thing that affects that. I personally don't like the CI4 reels. I've worked on a bunch. Their main selling point was weight reduction. If an ounce or so is critical, and you can't just go one size smaller to get that, then paying more than around $100 might be important to you. I make no bones about being a shimano guy. The only reels better, in my opinion, might be Daiwa, but at each quality level you have to pay considerably more for Daiwa over Shimano. I also was in the market for new spinning reels this year. I went with the Shimano Nasci and absolutely love them. They are smooth as silk. With spin reels there are a few critical components that affect it's quality and life span potential. I say potential because with all reels it depends on how they are cared for. What I want in a spin reel is two quality bearings on both ends of the drive gear shaft. Many reels use a bushing on one end. The next is two bearings on both ends of the pinion gear. Most reels only use one. Another is quality of gears. Shimano is using a stamped gear that they called this hagane concept. Fancy name but what I see is a precision aluminum gear versus the pot metal drive gear many reels use. Another thing is the oscillating system that moves the spool in and out. The basic design in mid to lower priced reels for decades has been an oscillating gear with sliding parts. I prefer the worm gear design Shimano uses on their upper end reels. Even though the Nasic isn't expensive, they did use all these features in it. The nasci has everything that much more expensive reels has other than the slight weight reduction of lighter materials. one other thing important to me is how well it keeps out water. The nasci is salt water approved because it has additional seals to keep salt water out. I don't fish salt but it's still good to keep out any water. Why go with the Nasci over another Shimano? Price. The nasci has everything that's important to me at $99 bucks list price. You can find them on ebay from good dealers for around $80 bucks. In a nut shell, unless weight is critical to you, and you would notice a very slight difference in weight, then the nasci has everything for a lot less. I use the 2500 size and have had no problem with good sized fish.

WataugaLaker

You're not alone, I don't spend more than $75 on a spinning reel. I've got 2 Presidents and gonna buy a Trion before the spring spawn. Doesn't make sense to me to spend $100+ extra just for a few ounces in weight reduction or an extra bearing or two.

Quote from: Pro Reel on January 11, 2018, 07:34:12 AM
I might be the odd guy out on this, but I don't much reason to spend a lot on spinning reels. As long as they are of good design, they pretty much cast the same and size of spool is the main thing that affects that. I personally don't like the CI4 reels. I've worked on a bunch. Their main selling point was weight reduction. If an ounce or so is critical, and you can't just go one size smaller to get that, then paying more than around $100 might be important to you. I make no bones about being a shimano guy. The only reels better, in my opinion, might be Daiwa, but at each quality level you have to pay considerably more for Daiwa over Shimano. I also was in the market for new spinning reels this year. I went with the Shimano Nasci and absolutely love them. They are smooth as silk. With spin reels there are a few critical components that affect it's quality and life span potential. I say potential because with all reels it depends on how they are cared for. What I want in a spin reel is two quality bearings on both ends of the drive gear shaft. Many reels use a bushing on one end. The next is two bearings on both ends of the pinion gear. Most reels only use one. Another is quality of gears. Shimano is using a stamped gear that they called this hagane concept. Fancy name but what I see is a precision aluminum gear versus the pot metal drive gear many reels use. Another thing is the oscillating system that moves the spool in and out. The basic design in mid to lower priced reels for decades has been an oscillating gear with sliding parts. I prefer the worm gear design Shimano uses on their upper end reels. Even though the Nasic isn't expensive, they did use all these features in it. The nasci has everything that much more expensive reels has other than the slight weight reduction of lighter materials. one other thing important to me is how well it keeps out water. The nasci is salt water approved because it has additional seals to keep salt water out. I don't fish salt but it's still good to keep out any water. Why go with the Nasci over another Shimano? Price. The nasci has everything that's important to me at $99 bucks list price. You can find them on ebay from good dealers for around $80 bucks. In a nut shell, unless weight is critical to you, and you would notice a very slight difference in weight, then the nasci has everything for a lot less. I use the 2500 size and have had no problem with good sized fish.

Eric-Maine

If you are using bait casters why not for your wife as well. Would be a good excuse for you to have several more rods   ;D
My wife uses my CI4s, she is a lefty so we can swap the handle. She learned to cast my right handed curados no problems.......(wished I had learned on left) There is a place in everyones arsenal for spinning. You should both have one. 3000 size

Bud Kennedy

Kevin, since you mentioned Daiwa Spinning Reels, What would your choice be for Daiwa?

Pro Reel

The ballistic is about where I think Daiwas quality equals Shimanos Nasci. The Ballistic is basically twice the price though. The ballistic is made out of lighter material though. If you are dead set on the CI4, or weight is critical to you, I would check out the ballistic first.

Pro Reel

one thing I will warn you about with Daiwa, all of their upper end reels now use at least some of their "Mag Sealed Bearings" These mag seals probably work great while new, unfortunalty the material degrades over time and only a few reel techs besides daiwas warranty and service center are capable of servicing those bearings. The bearings are common sizes and many just simply replace them with normal stainless steel bearings once the mag bearing gets dirty or degraded.

Marc4166

I will also recommend the Stradic's! just research their internal components. I have 3-3000's and about to buy a 4000. you will not regret it!!

SteelHorseCowboy

Seems my wider (longer) spool spinning reels cast easier and further than my shorter ones, no matter the weight.

I'm happier with my beat up, junk store Shimano TX4000 than I am with my brand new bargain bin Lew's.

Got Connie a Pflueger Templar, she's in love with it.

If getting another spinning reel for myself, I'd get another Mitchell, just a bigger one than what I've got. Love it, I've put it through hell, it keeps ticking, smooth as can be. There's nothing I don't like about that little ultra light, and I'd love to have a bigger brother to it.

Oldfart9999

Have you pulled the trigger yet Bud?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 15, 2018, 08:06:48 AM
Have you pulled the trigger yet Bud?
Rodney

Have not pulled the trigger yet, but have decided to go with the Shimano NASCI.  Still waiting on the Monster gift card before I pull the trigger.