Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I am personally getting tired of spammers! We will be aggressively blocking IP addresses  from here on out. If you find yourself  blocked call 318-347-7380 and we will work to correct the issue. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What line for what rod?  (Read 553 times)

Matt_3479

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
What line for what rod?
« on: January 11, 2018, 01:39:13 PM »

Need a little help here gentleman. I just got 3 rods and about too pick up the last reels. I would like to know what line to throw on them. The set ups are

1.) 7í6Ē 13 fishing envy black heavy extra fast with a concept c 7.3:1 for flipping and pitching, maybe some frogs. Thinking of a 50lbs power pro braid

2.) 7í3Ē Dobyns Sierra 734c with a diawa tatula sv tw which Iím looking to use for jigs, and skipping docks, Chatterbait, small swimbaits, spinner baits. Was told to use 40lbs braid with 12lbs fluro leader.

3.) 7í Kistler Helium Medium Heavy Fast Action, most likely throw on another tatula sv. Not too sure what I will use this rod for as i only bought it due to price. Was thinking maybe swimbaits, some crankbaits, probably jigs, but I donít really know yet. No idea on what line to use.

Bud Kennedy

• Charter Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Re: What line for what rod?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 02:11:23 PM »

Matt, your line selection will be determined by the baits you will be using and the conditions of the water you frequent.  If you are fishing in heavy cover as is likely for your flipping product than 50# to 65# Power Pro is a good selection.

For your spinnerbaits swimsbaits etc.  40# might be a bit heavier than you need.  You would have to let us know what types of cover you are encountering.  I for one would lose the leader.  It just really is not needed in most cases

For your crankbaits rod we can ask the same questions but many like to use mono in these cases while some folks today are using braid for almost all presentations.

Depending upon your water conditions you may be able to downsize to 20 # braid quite easily and still handle most species which I would assume is bass.

Lee Smith

• CM Chief Community Diplomat
  • Gotta Love It!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 03:37:53 PM »

Good question, but my first thought is, What does your main water look like?  Clear/Dingy/Muddy mostly?

I use alot of braid, but then I fish trash, I even use 50# braid on my rattle traps, main reason is, I'm ripping it out of hydrilla and pulling it loose from stumps most of the time.

Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Matt_3479

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 08:35:02 PM »

Good question, but my first thought is, What does your main water look like?  Clear/Dingy/Muddy mostly?

I use alot of braid, but then I fish trash, I even use 50# braid on my rattle traps, main reason is, I'm ripping it out of hydrilla and pulling it loose from stumps most of the time.

Well most of the lakes I fish are between  fairly clear to a little dingy. A few of the smaller lakes/ponds I fish more often (as they are local) start off clear and turn more to a dingy even muddy later season. But nothing is brutally dirty.

Matt_3479

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 08:37:43 PM »

Matt, your line selection will be determined by the baits you will be using and the conditions of the water you frequent.  If you are fishing in heavy cover as is likely for your flipping product than 50# to 65# Power Pro is a good selection.

For your spinnerbaits swimsbaits etc.  40# might be a bit heavier than you need.  You would have to let us know what types of cover you are encountering.  I for one would lose the leader.  It just really is not needed in most cases

For your crankbaits rod we can ask the same questions but many like to use mono in these cases while some folks today are using braid for almost all presentations.

Depending upon your water conditions you may be able to downsize to 20 # braid quite easily and still handle most species which I would assume is bass.

What I was informed was going down to a 20lbs braid might cause the line to dig into itself on a larger fish or say a snag. The target fish for these rods are bass. I did mention the lures that will be used for each rod.

Iím mostly concerned with the 734 and the helium as i havenít got the slightest clue on what I want to use for line.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 06:12:14 AM »

If you use the helium just for cranks and spinnerbaits you might want to try flourocarbon or mono, the size depends on what you're trying to do with the baits. I would still try braid.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Kris

• Ol' Skool
  • Dobyns, NuTech, Doc Irv, Monster
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 06:37:41 AM »

I have a Dobyns Fury 734C that I use for jigs, ,TR and other bottom bouncing baits. I use 15lb P-Line CXX for most of them in early Season. Later in the Season I will switch to 30lb braid, most times without a leader. I use Sufix Performance Braid on everything I own.
I also use 20lb braid on all my spinning equipment year round. Most times I do use a leader of 8lb P-Line CX or Seaguar Red Label for finesse baits. Most times two to three feet but longer on dropshots.
All my fishing line is moss green except the Seaguar which I use for dropshotting is clear.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Lee Smith

• CM Chief Community Diplomat
  • Gotta Love It!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 07:23:52 AM »

The lower pound braids will dig in, but that isn't a problem when fighting the fish, it's a problem when trying to cast after you got that fish in  lo  It will make you loose your religion  :shocking:

If you don't have a lot of vegetation or wood your fishing, the plastic lines will work well.  For vegetation especially, use braid, I don't go below 50#, mainly for the dig in issue.
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 08:00:50 AM »

^^ What this man said.   :-*

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

fishballer06

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 09:25:16 AM »

1.) 7í6Ē 13 fishing envy black heavy extra fast with a concept c 7.3:1 for flipping and pitching, maybe some frogs. Thinking of a 50lbs power pro braid

2.) 7í3Ē Dobyns Sierra 734c with a diawa tatula sv tw which Iím looking to use for jigs, and skipping docks, Chatterbait, small swimbaits, spinner baits. Was told to use 40lbs braid with 12lbs fluro leader.

3.) 7í Kistler Helium Medium Heavy Fast Action, most likely throw on another tatula sv. Not too sure what I will use this rod for as i only bought it due to price. Was thinking maybe swimbaits, some crankbaits, probably jigs, but I donít really know yet. No idea on what line to use.

Here's what I'd use, but everyone is different.

1. Because you said frogs, definitely go braid. 50 pound will do.

2. I'd personally be using 17 lb. fluoro for this. But you seem to like braid. 40 pound braid will do, but I'd step up to a 15lb. leader. Single hooks (jigs and the likes) can lead to powerful hooksets at close range and using a braided mainline means no stretch. I just don't trust a thin 12 lb. line in those situations.

3. Sounds like a do everything rod. I'm a fluoro guy, so I'd have 15lb. fluoro on there. A 14lb. co-poly would be a good choice as well.

njpaulc

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 11:57:37 AM »

Your line is only as strong as your weakest link.  40 lb braid with 12 lb fluro leader is 12 lb fluro with a knot (another weak link).  I would use 15 to 20 lb fluro or 20 lb braid on the second and third rod.  Yes, braid does OCCASIONALLY dig in, after a big fish strip some off and wind it back on.

Learn how to tie a quick knot for a leader to improve the versatility of your flippin' rod.

I am one of the few who prefer mono for skipping.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • IBASS 2017 4th place 374.50"
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 10:02:41 PM »

Need a little help here gentleman. I just got 3 rods and about too pick up the last reels. I would like to know what line to throw on them. The set ups are

1.) 50lb or 65lb braid no leader based on the bold words above.
2.) 30lb or 40lb braid for for jigs, and skipping docks, chatterbait, small swimbaits, spinner baits no leader.
3.) 15lb to 17lb mono or fluro or 30lb or 40lb braid no leader. All are very versatile and work with a wide array of lures just as Medium Heavy Fast Action rods have done for many many years. Once you find the baits you like to use it for you can get a little more refined on line choices. I always prefer braid but mono and fluro catch a lot of fish every year just cant beat the sensitivity of the braid. Oh and don't kid yourself that fish magically cant see braid painted black or fluro.  ::) 

FYI On braid I have had no problem digging in on 30lb or heavier PowerPro braid.

UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here

Matt_3479

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 08:43:18 PM »

Thank you everyone!! Still super confused. Iíll go with 50lbs power pro for the 13 fishing 7í6Ē envy. But the other two Iím still confused. Think Iíll try 15lbs fluro for the 7í Kistler. Iím use to using fluro for everything up until 2 years ago on all my spinning gear, and then switched over to braid. So I feel most comfortable with fluro or braid. On the dobyns I might try the 30 lbs power pro with 17-25lbs leader. Iíd like to use fluro for its invisibility but I donít know about it for skipping?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 24 queries.