Heavy duty hook and jig mold ?s

Started by SteveTX, January 11, 2018, 09:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveTX

What pitching style jig mold will hold the bigger hooks? I'm interested in using a hook like the Hack Attack heavy Cover hook by Gammy, or the X-tra heavy Black Nickle No-Jack hook used by Dirty Jigs.

Also can you purchase either of the hooks I listed above and where if possible? If not what is the heaviest wire jig hook available for a pitching style jig?   

Thanks

bigjim5589

Steve, I'm always looking around at hooks, but can't answer your questions. I've never seen those hooks listed anywhere by those names, but doesn't mean they can't be obtained. Unfortunately, if they're special order hooks that those company's use, Strike King & Dirty Jigs, they may not be available to the general public. However, I've learned that some of this "naming" is simply marketing, and may be hooks already being produced to be sold to a different general market. ( Like Japan versus the US)

DO you have a jig style in mind? Most pitching style jigs are basically an Arkie. That would be the first place to start IMO, unless you plan on having a mold custom made. The molds I have, are mostly Do It's and I've modified a few for larger size hooks, but generally a 5/0 is about as large as I'll use for a pitching jig. A Dremel tool and a little time can change that with some molds.  ;)

I'll have to check what hooks I've been using, for the model numbers. I use a couple of brands and with my molds they'll all fit.

Unfortunately, if you want a heavier wire hook than what's available off the shelf, you may have to go bigger, like to a 6/0 to get the heavier wire.  Those I've used are close in wire diameter for the same size hooks, and only way to get something different is have them made which is not often practical because manufacturers want minimum orders.

I'll check what I have. Wish I could give you a better answer!  :(

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

SteveTX

Thanks for the reply. Here is the deal. For no other reason that I want to play with making my own jigs the way I want them so I started researching. As a bonus I figured if I go through with making them I might save a few bucks eventually as I throw a lot of jigs and guys on my boat are as well.   

I just spent the last two evening looking around trying to figure out what jig mold was available that would hold a extra heavy wire hook. I see where barlows actually list the hooks that will fit the mold and man talk about a time consuming hunt. :surrender:

I really like the very heavy wire hooks I mentioned the Hack Attack jig uses like a .077 wire and I really like that super heavy wire. I dont seem to roll the point or bend them out near as much. All the ones I looked up about the heaviest wire was .055 to .062. Sure that is a stout hook I get all that but I want something heavier. :P

If I am going to make them I might as well make what I want and use. I also, like you thought they probably are keeping those particular hooks away from the average Joe as much as possible. Also like you I already thought about modifying the mold if I find the heavy hooks. Just not sure yet I want to tackle that especially if I can get one readily made.

I don't necessarily have to have the head design a super special way for what I do so a Arkie style is fine. Just about any head besides a football I throw. I just pitch them close to everything wood, weeds, grass, rocks, concrete, cattails, you name it I throw at it if I think its where the bass is. I've found (for me) a bunch of this head design hocus pocus isn't near as important to me.   

I figured I would just start a thread and see if anyone may have already done what I am thinking about with the very strong hooks. Thought they may have a little knowledge they might share.  ;D

bigjim5589

Steve, certainly understand wanting to make your own & exactly how you like. That's as good a reason to make your own as any.  :)

Unfortunately, unless you're willing to have custom hooks made, you're like most of us & have to use what's already available. Possible those hooks are custom that Strike King & Dirty Jigs uses.

Yes, Barlows is a great place to check for hooks, and I also like that they do show some wire specs on some hooks. I've found the same as you, that most off the shelf hooks are in that wire size range.

I have another source I can check, so I'll give them a call & see what I can find out as now I'm curious too.  :-*

I also agree with you about head designs. There can be good reason to use specific designs, but for many of us something like an Arkie, works in most places we'll fish. That's why it's such a popular & imitated design.  lo
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Oldfart9999

Steve, I have a Flat Eye Arkie mold, I'm not sure what the diameter of the wire is but it's smaller than .055, same with my Poison Tail mold and I've handled 12 to 15 lb pike with no problem and throw them into some pretty stout cover also. Those hooks were Mustad and like Jim said the largest I had were 5/0. If you check Capt. Hooks you might find larger, by the way, Capt. Hook has the best prices I've found for quantity. I like the Poison Tail, it comes through grass better.
As far as molds compare prices for your best deals. Powder paint I bought from POWDER BY THE POUND, Cadman's Lures sells powder also and his prices are pretty good.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

analfisherman

Look into Saltwater Jig hooks........are you looking for larger than a 5/0?
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

SteveTX

Thank you again Jim and also thank you very much Oldfart I really appreciate the pointers on where things can be purchased.

Anal I have heard that the hook used by SK in the Hack Attack jig is a Saltwater hook. I dont know this just got it through the rumor mill. Dont even remember what fishing they said it was for it has been a while. I wasnt thinking of making jigs back then. I did fine out it is a 30° line tie and the package says its a Gamakatsu.

A 5/0 size is all I would want, but I want that massively over size wire dia.  ;D 

Jared LeBlue

Steve check out lure parts online. They sell all the Do It molds and will reference which hooks will work with that mold. They give the suggested hook but as long as the bend is the same you can almost get away with any hook. So if you hook has a 60 degree bend then find the hook you want with a 60 degree bend and it will more than likely work. I use a wide gap hook on my jigs but I could easily change over to another style hook, lighter or heavier wire as long as I keep the angle right. The biggest thing to me would be finding the style jig you want to pour. There are a bunch of flipping jig molds but all different styles. The hook is really going to be the least of your worries.
Ardent Prostaff

bigjim5589

Steve, I have some Gamakatsu 5/0 hooks that have a 35 degree bend and fit my molds. I haven't checked the wire, but I'm sure they're not heavier than .062. I'll check if I can locate my micrometer.  ::)

bigjim5589

Steve, did some research & found a heavy hook that may work in some of the Do It molds. It's a Mustad Ultra Point XH 32824BLN, and it's a heavier version of their 32786BLN jig hook.

I use some of the 32786BLN & it's a stout hook, so the XH heavy version should be a beast.  :)

Also, as far as a mold, Do It has an Arkie style that takes the Trokar TX800 jig hook, and I suspect will take that Mustad, but depending on the actual wire diameter may have to be modified slightly. Can't say for sure, but that's what I suspect.

These are all 60 degree angle jig hooks. I haven't found any 30 degree or similar that are extra heavy.

Also for reference, I believe that some NuTech jigs are made with Mustad Ultra Points, and I use a lot of them, so it's a good hook.  ;D

Oldfart9999

Steve, you've gotten good advice from everyone here, there is another place to go for advice also, Tackleunderground, like here it's a free membership and like here you can ask questions and get very good answers from folks that have doing this for a long time.
As far as prices for molds, Lurepartsonline, Barlows and Janns carry the molds and while they are competitive there is a bit of a difference in price depending on mold, all are cheaper than Do-It. For hooks I've started using EAGLE CLAW black nickel hooks, they are forged and heat treated, less expensive than most and made in America, the only ones made here.
Rodney

SteveTX

Again excellent info fellas. Thank you very much. I have still been doing some research on this and it seems DO IT does not make a mold for those extremely heavy hooks. I emailed them and they responded with.
QuoteThe arky Jig we carry are item number #3199, 3064, 3387, 3489. Check them out online. The Gamakatsu is going to heaviest we carry. You will more then likely need to modify the molds in order to get that to fit.

That was strait from Do-It Corporation.

I am still searching using info you guys keep posting. ;D 

Thanks

Oldfart9999

Steve, sometimes to do what you want you have to modify a mold, what hurts is when you have to play games to get pours with a mold using what is recommended by DO-IT, it happens. DO-IT's prices are high, sometimes surprisingly high for a manufacturer!
Rodney

SteveTX

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on January 14, 2018, 06:30:21 PM
Steve, sometimes to do what you want you have to modify a mold, what hurts is when you have to play games to get pours with a mold using what is recommended by DO-IT, it happens. DO-IT's prices are high, sometimes surprisingly high for a manufacturer!
Rodney

I have pretty much settled on the fact I will have to modify the mold.
Right now I guess I am looking for the heaviest wire hook I can find to use. I would like a 30° or 60° line tie but I guess I will have to just research whats available.

bigjim5589

Rodney, even though Do It is a mold manufacturer, they're just reselling hooks like any other hook dealer. IMO, they keep their hook prices high so most folks will buy from their dealers instead. I notice the same with their mold & component prices too. No different than other manufacturers who may also sell to the public.

Steve, I'm going to order some of those Mustad XH 32824BLN hooks & see for myself what diameter wire they are & how they compare to the 32786BLN which I already have.

I'll let you know what I find.  :)

SteveTX

Quote from: bigjim5589 on January 14, 2018, 07:42:15 PM
Steve, I'm going to order some of those Mustad XH 32824BLN hooks & see for myself what diameter wire they are & how they compare to the 32786BLN which I already have.

I'll let you know what I find.  :)

Sweet I dont have any of the Dirty jigs hooks to measure but from what I gather they are very similar to the SK Hack Attack. Hopefully the XH 32824BLN will be a chunk of steel.  ;D