WAKE UP CALL!!!!!!!!!

Started by analfisherman, January 13, 2018, 04:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

analfisherman

In 2016, the Coast Guard counted 4,463 accidents that involved 701 deaths, 2,903
injuries and approximately $49 million dollars of damage to property as a result of
recreational boating accidents.

The fatality rate was 5.9 deaths per 100,000 registered recreational vessels.
This rate represents a 11.3% increase from last year's fatality rate of 5.3
deaths per 100,000 registered recreational vessels.

Compared to 2015, the number of accidents increased 7.3%, the number of
deaths increased 12%, and the number of injuries increased 11.1%.
Where cause of death was known, 80% of fatal boating accident victims drowned. Of those drowning victims with reported life jacket usage, 83% were not wearing a life jacket.

Eight out of every ten boaters who drowned were using vessels less than 21 feet in length.

Alcohol use is the leading known contributing factor in fatal boating accidents; where the primary cause was known, it was listed
as the leading factor in 15% of deaths.
Where instruction was known, 77% of deaths occurred on boats where the operator did not receive boating safety instruction. Only 13% percent of deaths occurred on vessels where the operator had received a nationally-approved boating safety education certificate.
There were 171 accidents in which at least one person was struck by a propeller. Collectively, these accidents resulted in 24 deaths and 175 injuries.
Operator inattention, operator inexperience, improper lookout, excessive speed, and machinery failure rank as the top five primary contributing factors in accidents.
Where data was known, the most common vessel types involved in reported accidents were open motorboats (47%), personal watercraft (18%), and cabin motorboats (15%).

Where data was known, the vessel types with the highest percentage of deaths were open motorboats (47%), kayaks (13%), and canoes (9%).

The 11,861,811 recreational vessels registered by the states in 2016 represent a 0.04% decrease from last year when 11,867,049 recreational vessels were registered.

these are just the FACTS folks.

ALL FISHING BOATS ARE CONSIDERED 'OPEN MOTORBOATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rest of the story;
https://americanboating.org/boating_fatality.asp

:-*Best way to help a FRIEND.......is POSITIVE PIER PRESSURE! :-*

So if you know a friend not following safe boating.....be a FRIEND AND LET THEM KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!

And don't KID YOURSELF........I don't have a motor so I'm safer.....my big motor isn't running so I'M SAFER.      WRONG.........."open motorboats (47%), kayaks (13%), and canoes (9%)."

Let's see if we can spend our days PRAYING for big catches and NOT PRAYING THAT THEY FIND ANOTHER COMRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Pacific NW Ron

Great information and good advice.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

creekbasser

All kayak fishing tournaments I have been in and know, it is mandatory to wear you pfd the entire tournament.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ddyyak

News just announced 66 year old man fishing alone on center hill lake here in middle Tennessee was recovered after falling in. No life vest. Not sure in this cold water it would have mattered but at least there would be a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ddyyak

If you don't we're one for you think about you poor families that will have to deal with the loss. They deserve to have you be safe for their well being.

zippyduck

Thanks for the reminder. Something we all need to keep aware of.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Mike Cork

Thanks for the reminder. Always be vigilant on the water. Not only not to mess up our selves but to watch out for the idiots so they don't take us out.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

WTodd

While on the water I EXPECT the other guy to do something stupid so I keep my head on a swivel

Oldfart9999

The Coast Guard Boater Safety Course should be mandatory for all boaters!!! IMHO All boating laws, including safety laws should be enforced!!! IMHO
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

cbburke

That's why I always wear my vest on the boat no matter what
I just want to make sure that I make it home alive.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."