Everglades January Frogging :)

Started by Capt. BassinLou, January 13, 2018, 07:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Went fishing with my BIL out in the Everglades today. We were catching them on plastics earlier in the day, but once I saw they were willing to hit the frog, I couldn't put it down... lol!! Enjoy the pics!!

My fish weren't monsters by any stretch of the imagination, but a couple of FL guys did manage to catch some beauties today as well. I invite you to go check them out in the Florida fishing report forums.

big g

Lou you found some nice ones frogging. ~c~  My first fish was on a horny toad weightless.  The top water bite stopped quickly. 
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: big g on January 13, 2018, 07:39:54 PM
Lou you found some nice ones frogging. ~c~  My first fish was on a horny toad weightless.  The top water bite stopped quickly.
Thanks George. You caught a beauty today my friend.

Princeton_Man

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SteveTX

Nice catches! I've been hit with work so hard I literally haven't been in dang near a month. ~rant Probably closer to 3 weeks but I don't see a end in sight just yet. :'(   Please keep posting up motivation.  ;D

zippyduck

Gotta fish your favorite way and who desn't like topwater.  ~c~ ~c~
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Pacific NW Ron

A good day on the water.  Nice fish.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Smallie_Stalker

Great day Lou!!! ~c~

I've never seen a hook come out of a frog like in that first pic. How'd you manage that?

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

MattT

Nice!   I'm ready to start throwing the frog again  ~cf

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on January 13, 2018, 09:57:29 PM
Great day Lou!!! ~c~

I've never seen a hook come out of a frog like in that first pic. How'd you manage that?

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Thanks Smallie, its pretty common for the frog to slide out from its hooks assembly when it starts to become pretty worn. Believe it or not, although that frog got pretty beat up yesterday, it still works properly. As long the nose doesn't rip it will float.

68camaro

Nice....were you throwing in open water or over pads/vegetation?
Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: 68camaro on January 14, 2018, 08:44:10 AM
Nice....were you throwing in open water or over pads/vegetation?
Thank you. I threw in thick to moderate vegetation.

Lipripper

Some nice looking Frog fish Lou. ~c~ ~c~ Your right there were a couple of Big Fish caught yesterday. ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

j102

basss

Nice hookset, I've always had issues setting the hook when froggin'.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

Princeton_Man

Quote from: basss on February 14, 2018, 08:28:46 AM

Just count to 5 before you set the hook.  :)
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: basss on February 14, 2018, 08:28:46 AM

The little trick that helps me is basically a 3 count.

3 words.

"There she is"
"That's a bass"

You can also just count
"One, Two, Three"

Whatever works for you. A lot of people say a bass will hold on to a frog a LONG time. Down here in our Everglades that is not always the case. These bass will sometimes spit a frog out as quick as they inhaled it. Waiting too long like I waited last month on a hookset resulted in missing a fish that made a BIG boil.

Just my opinion on the matter. I'm no expert though. In most cases I think a 5 count like Princeton_Man mentioned should be fine. I just don't have that kind of patience.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Bud Kennedy

I will only tall you what a Guntersville guide told me a couple of years ago.  Make that hookset like you are trying to flip over the boat.  He was reacting to my less than purposeful hook set.

Now on the other deal.  There is no way on God's green earth I could count to 5 or even 3 for that matter before I set the hook.  I set it when I feel the fish.  Being an older guy I don't move that fast anyway so maybe I have a built in delay.

Capt. BassinLou

Every frogger has there method of when to set the hook, I have learned over the years that the hookset is situational. Sometimes the fish take the frog and spit out out pretty fast or sometimes they hold on to it for a long time. In my case, I set the hook whenever I see my frog is no where to be seen. For how long or what count that is?  I honestly couldn't tell you.

basss

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on February 15, 2018, 05:12:48 PM
There is no way on God's green earth I could count to 5 or even 3 for that matter before I set the hook.  I set it when I feel the fish...

Ditto ... get too excited when I see that thing get hit.  Think that's the cause of a majority of my missed hooksets.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on February 15, 2018, 05:12:48 PM
I will only tall you what a Guntersville guide told me a couple of years ago.  Make that hookset like you are trying to flip over the boat.  He was reacting to my less than purposeful hook set.

Now on the other deal.  There is no way on God's green earth I could count to 5 or even 3 for that matter before I set the hook.  I set it when I feel the fish.  Being an older guy I don't move that fast anyway so maybe I have a built in delay.
Built in delay  ~roflmao
Sounds like that might be it!
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing