New Boat Trailer Ordered

Started by Bud Kennedy, January 16, 2018, 11:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

Pulled the trigger on a new boat trailer this morning.  After considering all the options I have elected to purchase a boat from Charleston Trailer and have it custom fitted to my boat.  I examined a lot of other trailer options and this one seems to be the best fit for me and is built specifically for my boat.  I have ordered single axle trailer rated for 5000#.  It has 15" radial tires, disc brakes and a heavy duty 6000# axle with removable spindles.  This is an all aluminum trailer with stainless steel hardware.  It also will have a step system to allow this old man to more easily climb into the boat from the trailer during the launch and recovery cycle.  I have attached a picture that is not the trailer I have ordered but give you an idea of its appearance and some features.  My trailer will also have a spare tire carrier built in.  Charleston Trailer builds mostly for the salt water environment and has been building more bass boat trailers now than in the past.  It will take about 10 days or so for money from one of my investment accounts to arrive here but after I give them the check the build time will be just over 2 weeks.  I am excited to have a new trailer and provide the reliability and safety that I was looking for.

SteveTX

Congratulations on the new trailer. Sounds like it will be a very nice one. I want a new heavier axle under mine with 15" tires. Hopefully the tires will last more than a year then.

Oldfart9999

Congrats Bud!!! Sounds like a good deal!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Lipripper

Bud sounds like you got a good one that should last a long time.  ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Mike Cork

Congratulations :toot:

Looking forward to a photo of the boat sitting on it  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Ron Fogelson

Pacific NW Ron

Sounds and looks like a nice trailer.  Congrats.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

fishandkamp

Bud Kennedy

All of the final details have been identified and documented.  The only thing I could not get were the steps on the trailer to make entry into the boat easier.  The don't have a product and have suggested that I seek an after market solution.  Once the trailer is finished and the boat installed I will be able to make some measurements and order the steps that I want.  I am currently looking at EZ Step but it looks like there are multiple folks offering products like this.  So far the entire process has been handled very professionally by the trailer manufacturer and my confidence is high that they will deliver a quality product.  The price has escalated a bit but I wanted to make darn sure that I got everything that I wanted on this trailer.  All that is left to do now is go pay for the trailer.  That won't happen until the money is received from my investment account.  This takes about 10 working days but I am not in a hurry but I am still anxious to finalize the purchase.  The last things to do is to get the trailer registered at DMV and to be sure that the insurance company is advised of the new trailer.

Bud Kennedy

Finally received the paperwork from my investment company.  About 7-10 more days and the money for the trailer should be here.  This investment goes way way back about 4 decades.  I am beginning to believe the company has not invested in their own processes due to the amount of time this is taking. 

Trailer manufacturer will be here the weekend of Feb 9th and will be measuring my boat and current trailer to get the final build specs established.  I am really looking forward to getting this whole trailer deal done.  Next steps after the trailer is new carpet for the Ranger.  I am still open to another motor but I would need a real deal to make me take the plunge.  I won't say never but hopefully my current motor will continue to perform.

Bud Kennedy

Just heard from the trailer builder, They will be here at on Saturday to take the measurements of my boat as they prepare to build my new trailer.  I am really excited as this is another step forward to getting this trailer deal resolved.  I have a list of additional questions to ask them when they arrive.  I guess I am letting my Internal Analfisherman take control of my thought processes.   ~c~

Lipripper

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on February 08, 2018, 12:53:56 PM
Just heard from the trailer builder, They will be here at on Saturday to take the measurements of my boat as they prepare to build my new trailer.  I am really excited as this is another step forward to getting this trailer deal resolved.  I have a list of additional questions to ask them when they arrive.  I guess I am letting my Internal Analfisherman take control of my thought processes.   ~c~
Hope you get all your questions answered. After all your paying for it and you might as well get what you want the way you want it.

fishandkamp

Hey Bud check out the pics of my new trailer. I brought it home today. Man those torsion axles pull like a dream. They are quiet and the trailer just sits there as if it had shocks on it, it does not.
Anyway the pics are in a thread in the aluminum boats section.
You can see all the upgrades and  accessories I added.  I can not wait to get it on a ramp.

Bud Kennedy

Saw your pictures and it looks real good.  I had contacted Load Rite and after discussing my requirements they advised that they had nothing to offer me other than their standard trailer.  My new trailer looks a lot like the load rite except for some custom fitting for my boat.  I wanted 15" wheels, 12" disc brakes, and of course a 6000 lb torsion axle with spare spindles for the spare tire.  I also wanted assist steps on the tongue section of the trailer but my builder does not offer and advised me to go to ez step.  I plan on doing that after the trailer is built and delivered to ensure I get the right fit and step rise.  I am meeting with Charleston Trailer tomorrow morning as they are here to measure my boat and existing trailer.  I also have a list of questions to ask while they are here just to be sure of a couple of things.  I have not found any takers for my old trailer that I am offering for free to anyone who wants it so most likely it will just be sent to scrap.  Here is a list showing some details.

2018 Charleston Trailer LLC Single Axle 5000 lb Aluminum Boat Trailer - Model CT T18
VIN# TBD
5 yr. limited warranty from Charleston Trailer LLC, 5 yr. torsion axle warranty. and lifetime frame warranty (aluminum defects only).
Trailer equipped with:
Aluminum I-beam frame
Aluminum cross-members
Carpeted wood rear bunks
Synthetic target bunks
Aluminum tube-style brackets
Stainless steel hardware (including u-bolts) 6000 lb torsion axle with removable spindles
12" Kodiak disc brakes
15" radial tire with galvanized rims Aluminum fenders
Aluminum side guides with PVC Aluminum tongue
Two-speed winch
Drop-leg jack
LED lighting
Sales
Mounted spare tire carrier with spindle and 6-lug hub
Sales
225/75R15 spare tire

Lipripper

Bud that's hard to believe that nobody would take since it was free they could take it and then sell it for scrap themself . I know you have a few questions for the builder tomorrow. Hope everything works out OK.

fishandkamp

Bud I can not wait to see how yours comes out. I bet it too will fit like a glove.  If you are like me this is my first torsion axle and it towed so nice during the 30 mile trip home. Make sure you get your questions answered.  Like me you run tidal water and often times we have to deal with wind and strong tidal currents.  That makes it important to make it easy to launch and retrieve our boats in all conditions.,
This requires a bit more attention to detail than boating on lakes does.  Good Luck keep us up on things.

Bud Kennedy

Trailer builder arrived this morning and took all of the measurements and answered all the questions I could muster.  It has been a really great experience so far and my confidence is growing daily about selecting Charleston Trailer as the source of my new trailer.  Delivery is expected about the first week of March.  It is really nice when the guy that is building the trailer takes all the measurements and can discuss all aspects of the product.  I am really excited now. 

Lipripper

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on February 10, 2018, 10:38:47 AM
Trailer builder arrived this morning and took all of the measurements and answered all the questions I could muster.  It has been a really great experience so far and my confidence is growing daily about selecting Charleston Trailer as the source of my new trailer.  Deliver is expected about the first week of March.  It is really nice went the guy that is building the trailer takes all the measurements and can discuss all aspects of the product.  I am really excited now.
Glad everything went great Bud now comes the waiting game for it to get done.  ~c~

big g

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on February 10, 2018, 10:38:47 AM
Trailer builder arrived this morning and took all of the measurements and answered all the questions I could muster.  It has been a really great experience so far and my confidence is growing daily about selecting Charleston Trailer as the source of my new trailer.  Deliver is expected about the first week of March.  It is really nice went the guy that is building the trailer takes all the measurements and can discuss all aspects of the product.  I am really excited now.

Can't wait to see the pics! ;D
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

fishandkamp

The waiting game is always the worst part.  I was lucky, and maybe you will be too, since we are ordering our trailers at this time of year the factories are not as busy.  My trailer was to be assembled and shipped from the factory in PA (near Philly) to my dealer just south of Baltimore in an estimated 3 weeks time period. It was manufactured and shipped the following week and arrived a total of 10 days after I ordered it.  I bet if I ordered it in May or June the factory would have been running at full capacity and it would have taken much longer.  Maybe yours will arrive sooner than expected too.

Bud Kennedy

The builder quoted me 2 1/2 weeks deliver on saturday.  They fabricate everything at their shop in Charleston, SC.  To me that is an excellent lead time for a custom product.  So just about March 1st I will have the trailer here.  I got in just before his high demand time so my product is being started immediately.  He already has the torsion axle and the brake system so I guess that should not delay the build process.

Princeton_Man

Be sure to update your insurance to reflect the new trailer and value.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bud Kennedy

Yep already in contact.  Cant do anything really until I have a vin number then we will be set.  They have already responded and advised me that the trailer will already be covered the moment I take possession we use need to provide the final details within 10 days.  Will still have to do the DMV stuff as well. to advise them of the scrapping of the old trailer and then to title the new trailer.  No big deal just takes a DMV visit and here in SC that is an easy process unlike a lot of other states.  Just gotta be sure that all the taxes are paid is all they are interested in.  Although we do not need license plates, I have one on my old trailer that will be moved to the new one.

Bud Kennedy

Pulled the trailer title from the safe today.  just wanted to make sure I could find it.  I am now good to go when the new trailer arrives.  Will have to advise DMV of the scrapping of the old trailer and then register the new trailer. 

Not sure if SC issues a new license plate (not required here) or I can arrange just to transfer my old plate onto the new trailer.  Even though the plate is not required, I still like to have it in case I travel out of the state.  Only about another week and a half until the new trailer is supposed to be ready.  I am gonna call them this week to see if I can stop by and see the construction in process.

Princeton_Man

Wish we lived just a bit closer Bud. I'd take the old trailer just to convert to a utility trailer.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club