Chili with Brisket

Started by Wizard, January 18, 2018, 08:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

I hadn't made this before and it was accidental that I used brisket. The wife wanted homemade chili. I got out all the ingredients and realized we didn't have any chili meat. So, off to the store I go. The store has a "Manager's Special" area where they sell meat nearing it's "sell by" date. No chili meat but there was a small brisket staring back at me. We quickly made friends and I took it home with me. The weather is too cold for the smoker or grill. I really had wanted to smoke the meat and thought of the Hickory liquid smoke I can use in my new smoker. I've never used liquid smoke on meat and winged it. I cooked the brisket in the oven with some liquid smoke. After it cooled, I shred it and tried a bite. It smelled smokey but I couldn't taste it. It went into the chili mix and I put a teaspoon on smoke into the chili. The taste of the chili was great, my wife loved it and I accumulated some husband points.
After this long write up. I have questions. Is it ok to use liquid smoke in food? Has anyone tried a similar chili recipe? The reason I ask is the local newspaper has a chili contest every year. The prize is a week for two in Jamaica.

Wizard

Wizard

Lipripper

Sounds like the Chili came out OK. From what I could find you can use it in foods and sometime it is put in BBQ Sauce  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Ron Fogelson

Sounds good man. As far as the liquid smoke I thought that was what it was for. To add to food when you can't smoke it right

Wizard

Thanks guys. I bought the liquid smoke to use in the water reservoir of my new smoker.

Wizard

Lee Smith

Be easy with it Wizard!  Very small line between great and ruined with liquid smoke!
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Wizard

Thanks, Lee. I was wondering how much was too much. I'll try the web for a guide for smoke.

Lee Smith

Quote from: Wizard on January 18, 2018, 03:53:28 PM
Thanks, Lee. I was wondering how much was too much. I'll try the web for a guide for smoke.

Here ya go Wizard

http://rbandmindy.com/grillbbq/the-straight-scoop-about-liquid-smoke/
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Wizard

That was an interesting read, Lee. It told a lot I didn't know. Seems there is no bad way to use liquid smoke.

Wizard

Oldfart9999

That chili sound really good Wizard!!! I haven't used liquid smoke in a lot of years, used to use it things but got away from it.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

coldfront

Wizard,
have been experimenting with barbacoa.  my norte americano version anyway.

roast cooked overnight in crock.  shredded and mixed with williams taco seasoning.  great shredded beef tacos, burritos.

liquid smoke in small quantities should be okay.  but there are some compounds in it that are lined to carcinogens.

not sure where they fall along the lines of cigarettes