Looking for finesse spinning rod

Started by 68camaro, January 18, 2018, 09:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68camaro

Hi, I am in the market for a second Finesse spinning rod, currently I have:

6'10" Megabass Orochi X4 F3-610X4S Aarons Martin Limited - FINESSEE; Med-light/Medium Power,                   Med/Fast Action with
     Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 2500FA 6.0:1

I love the rod and reel but I cannot find the Megabass for sale anywhere. Any recommendations for a comparable or better rod for drop shots/ned rigs/wacky/micro jigs?

I rarely ever fish over 20' water and most 10' or below. My deeper lake has a ton of standing timber, my shallow lake a ton of vegetation?  It will mostly be used in winter and dead of summer when fish become lethargic.

Any thought on Daiwa, Loomis or Megabass destroyer?

Also with my conditions is a medium, fast better than med-light, extra fast in order to control fish better?

Thanks
Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass

WataugaLaker

St Croix Avid 7' M fast action. Made in the USA and lifetime warranty

loomisguy

I throw them on a Denali N2 medium and, if you can still find one the old Yamamoto spinning rods were great .I've got one left and I guard it carefully
Personally, I don't think it requires a high-tech Rod for those techniques , but I used to fish a NRX 822 DSR and it's a fine rod
If you throw the 1/16 oz head or less on the ned I would lean more to the medium light.

Mike Cork

Years ago I used to use a G-Loomis for your listed needs. The GL3 was awesome. Now I can only help with Dobyns versions and the Extreme 742 would probably fit the bill very well. I moved up to the 743 for a little more back bone with all our cover.

I'm very curious what other brands have rods for this though  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

68camaro

Quote from: loomisguy on January 18, 2018, 04:07:28 PM

If you throw the 1/16 oz head or less on the ned I would lean more to the medium light.

I can use my current Megabass for the 1/15 oz ned rigs so I will probably go up 1/2 to one power rating.

Quote from: Mike Cork on January 18, 2018, 07:48:56 PM
Years ago I used to use a G-Loomis for your listed needs. The GL3 was awesome. Now I can only help with Dobyns versions and the Extreme 742 would probably fit the bill very well. I moved up to the 743 for a little more back bone with all our cover.

I'm very curious what other brands have rods for this though  :-*

I like the shorter Extreme's like the DX702 but prefer sub-7'.  They are in strong contention.
Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass

zippyduck

I use an ABU Villain in Mh for Erie because I want the sensitivity in deep water. Yes it doesn't cast great but it controls 6# smallies great.

I also use a ML villain for most of my dropshotting which acts more like a M action.

Both are great at feeling goby bites and smallie pulls.

7' rods are my favorites for dropshotting since it is not an actual hookset a sweep on a 7'er always burys the hook.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Oldfart9999

A BPS CARBONLITE, 6'9" ML or 7'2" ML are very good finesse rods.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.