Gander Outdoors

Started by analfisherman, January 18, 2018, 11:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

analfisherman

Just a heads up.

As most know, Gander Mt. went bankrupt and was purchased by Camping World which also owns Overtons.

Well the stores are starting to open up.
Ours opened yesterday with a 'soft' Grand Opening scheduled for Sat.

Well, being anal and wanting answers to many questions.... I went there today and met with a store manager.

This is what I found out.
First off, OUR locations Fishing dept. is easily as well supplied as the old Gander was if not better.
The manager said they have yet to even get started to stock up yet and said soon there will be a lot more.
Pricing.....fair...but not really mind boogling.
Some items were easily better than Bass Pro/Cabelas...which basically are one interprise now too.
Other items were pretty much the same....again, didn't really do a bunch of price shopping.

Firearms was fairly well stocked with a claim to be the best ammo and firearms prices anywhere.
(Ammo was very well priced but didn't have time to really do a lot of price shopping.

Now they had bikes and Kayaks and camping gear but not NEARLY as much clothing as the old Gander had and CAB./BP does.
BUT nothing like a Dicks or Academy cover Tennis, basketball etc.

I asked about price matching, which Gander Mtn. was famous for.......and they/he (the manager) said are still deciding on but that thier goal was to be fair priced from the get go (retail) so other places would probably have to 'price match' them instead.

Don't be fooled by the Grand Opening wording.
I was told the early stores were actually doing a 'Soft' GO and after the majority of stores are up and going...target date, first week of May 2018......they were planing a HUGE Grand Opening nation wide SALE.
And that's when the great 'Sale Pricing' will be happening.

First impression, surprised but by no means floored by the experience.

Definitly better than Gander Mtn. but only time will tell if it's just another Big Box store.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

SteveTX

Thanks for the heads up.

I had one of these Gander Mt not a long ways from my Bass Pro that are both well over a hr drive. I think the Gander Mt building was up for sale the last time I went by it though. I hated the location as far as how you had to do like some trick driving to get in the parking lot. It was backed up to I-30 and I-635 intersection making it a b to veer off into.  lo

I'll have to look next time I am up that way.

Oldfart9999

Looks like they aren't reopening our store.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

fishballer06

They built a brand new store here in Pittsburgh and opened it in August 2016. Decorated the outside and inside to make it look like a giant log cabin. Beautiful store. And it closed one year later.

And now they're relaunching and not even opening that store back up. It's still sitting there empty. Whoever buys/leases that place is going to have to either live with the log cabin look or remodel the entire brand new building.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

topdsm0138

They were supposed to reopen our Palm Beach Gardens store, but no word on when that will be.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

Polaris425

Our's is still sitting empty with a big FOR LEASE sign on the building...

The camping world place was supposed to open up but, I guess they decided not to.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

analfisherman

"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."