Need yall opinion

Started by Blacknredflake, January 19, 2018, 06:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blacknredflake

I have a chance to get this 16.5' Lowe at a really good price for my first rig. Everything is in good shape and runs fine.

Anyone by chanve have experience with this model? Think it would be a decent starter boat to fish weekend tournaments with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

Princeton_Man

Reminds me a lot of my early model Bass Tracker. It looks a little short of real estate up front. Is the pedal for the TM in that recessed compartment?  I've fished out a many Lowe boats, never had any complaints.

I guess it depends a little on how big the lakes are that you'll be fishing tournaments on. Nice thing about a rig like that is you'll be able to get in some pretty skinny water without damaging it.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

At least on smaller lakes I don't see why you couldn't fish tournaments with it as long as the live well will keep your fish alive. You'll be at a disadvantage in the speed department but like Jim said, you'll have an advantage in shallow or tight places. I fished with a tin and held my own.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Kris

I started fishing tournaments in my Starcraft V-hull 14 footer. But in most cases I didn't venture out of creeks or small rivers into the Chesapeake. Even on the Potomac River I never went out into it or only short distances. That changed when I switched to my first fiberglass bass boat, 17.5 feet.
The biggest thing you want to do is make sure you and any one around you will be safe when you operate your boat in a tournament. For example, years ago my boat captain partner and I fished Pomonkey Creek off the Potomac River most of the last half of the tourney. Weather getting there was overcast with a little wind but four footers on the River when we came out. Luckily, I was in a 20 foot Gambler bass boat and we made it back to Mattawoman safely. There is no way in this World I would have attempted that in any aluminum boat.
You're boat would be fine in smaller waters and hours of fun just getting used to being a boat owner. Be careful and this would be great for your entry into competitive fishing.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Pacific NW Ron

Lowe builds a good boat.  I don't see why that one wouldn't work.  The motor would be my biggest concern.  I'd be sure and put it on the water for a test run. 
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Blacknredflake

The original motor for the boat was a 40hp johnson that he took off and replaced with the 88 for some reason. Od prefer the 40 as many lakes round here has restrictions.

The trolling motor isnt foot control and given the lack of deck a foot control could be an issue but I could build an extension of the deck to accommodate.

Im 6'3 300+ and I love to flip so a bigger deck would be ideal but the seat is removable.

The boat is around my pruce range of 2500 so its on the top of my list. Plus being aluminum and me driving a Ford Ranger it helps with pulling. An older Fiberglass like I would want for deck space may be an issue to pull out the water. My truck is a V6 so this boat shouldnt be a problem.... just waiting on W2 to see what kind of money im workin with.

Hard to find something ready to fish when ya budget is only 2k'ish.

This boat wouldnt really see toledo bend or big choppy lakes. But theres plentt smaller lakes round me to join a local club amd hit those weekend tournaments.

Bank fishing just isnt cutting if for me anymore.

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

SteelHorseCowboy

You're in about the same boat I'm in, pun intended.
Considering your tow vehicle and the smaller waters you're considering, I'd snag it up myself.

Blacknredflake

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on January 19, 2018, 10:39:54 AM
You're in about the same boat I'm in, pun intended.
Considering your tow vehicle and the smaller waters you're considering, I'd snag it up myself.
Just hoping Uncle Sam does me right this year like he been doin!!

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

Donald Garner

That's a nice looking rig right there.  Hope everything works out for ya in the $$$$ department.  You mentioned Toledo Bend and fishing out of that boat.  There are numerous places you could fish safely  on Toledo Bend with that boat  ;) 

I wouldn't want to make a run across the lake in thought.  The weather really changes fast on that lake.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Princeton_Man

For $2K you can't go wrong. One BIG concern I might have it I were in your shoes is; what is that boat rated for HP wise. If 88hp is more than the boat is rated for you could have issues with DNR as well as some tournaments.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: Blacknredflake on January 19, 2018, 11:06:37 AM
Just hoping Uncle Sam does me right this year like he been doin!!

Oh I'm expecting it myself. But...
Our daughter is probably getting a car, and we have a wedding to pay for.
It seems a bass boat isn't in my future this tax season.
However, I do expect to have enough to build another pirogue, and build it tough. Thinking I may even make it a flat back and add a tiny mud motor made from this spare weed whacker.

Blacknredflake

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on January 20, 2018, 08:56:03 AM
Oh I'm expecting it myself. But...
Our daughter is probably getting a car, and we have a wedding to pay for.
It seems a bass boat isn't in my future this tax season.
However, I do expect to have enough to build another pirogue, and build it tough. Thinking I may even make it a flat back and add a tiny mud motor made from this spare weed whacker.
Now ya thinkin!!!!!

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

coldfront

Quote from: sportsmansfriend on January 19, 2018, 09:02:41 AM
Lowe builds a good boat.  I don't see why that one wouldn't work.  The motor would be my biggest concern.  I'd be sure and put it on the water for a test run. 
Ron

ron, all, hope this doesn't come off as disparaging toward Lowe.  solid boats.  thinking the few I've been in are a little 'tippy' and do best if you stay centered.

Deadeye

Decent boat, but I'm not going to lie to you. At your stated 300+ lbs then you add gear and another angler your going to really be pushing the limits of that boat. It will be very tippy and set very low in the water.

The Johnson 88 had a pretty strong following, but it is an older motor. Expect not so good fuel milage and you will either pre-mix the gas or take the chance of the Johnson "mixing unit" going bad without you knowing it. And that will be the end of the motor running on gas only. Common issue with that style of motor.

If you were half your weight I'd say go for it, but honestly I'd look for a little wider and possibly bigger boat.

Spring is coming up and there will be a ton of used boats to hit the market as guys buy new ones, theer always is every year. Take your time and find the one you want that fits into your price range.

WTodd

Depends on how wide the front deck is. My 2012 ST 175 isn't "tippy" at all; granted I don't weigh 3 bills but I've never experienced anything "tippy".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadeye

Big difference in your 2012 and those older boats. Number one being Foam Filled now, which really makes a huge difference!

Kris

From the sound of it Deadeye has more experience in older aluminum boats than I do. I can tell you, in real World use my 16/48 1973 Ouachita flat bottom, tiller steer, a bit different than your modified V, handled my 300+ butt well. It plowed a bit but has been doing well lately. Now I am a bit lighter at just under 260 but working on losing some more. At this weight it works fine. I know someone a bit heavier than me and his aluminum boat tends to plow running on the bow mount. His boat is longer and wider than mine but he runs a whole lot more weight in batteries, 14-6 volt batteries for his 60 volt Ray motor and a 24v bow mount.
What is the measurement across the floor from side to side?
Is there a Coast Guard limit plate inside the boat? What does it say?
One thing to be careful is what it says for max horsepower. That could cost you
My boat is so old that it does not have that Coast Guard plate. I still watch how much weight I put in the boat. Because of my Maryland Senior Registration I never can operate with more than a 7.5 hp motor on it. You can only be as careful as you allow yourself to be.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

fishandkamp

Go look at this boat! NOW!

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/17-ft-aluminum-bass-boat/6447129247.html

Just add a trolling motor and some electronics and you are fishing.

Blacknredflake

Out of state... aint dealing with that headache

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

fishandkamp

You may have to travel to find what you want in your budget.  Typically what you want costs between $5500 an $10,000 used in decent shape.

WTodd

Quote from: Deadeye on January 22, 2018, 08:02:07 AM
Big difference in your 2012 and those older boats. Number one being Foam Filled now, which really makes a huge difference!
I know all about the foam

When Barry & I installed my Talons, I cut out the backs of small rear boxes and with a spoon I scooped out a tunnel in the foam all the way to the transom. I wanted the Talons as wide as possible so it would be sturdier but the foam was a royal PITA!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk