Double Plopper rod selection

Started by SteveTX, January 22, 2018, 01:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveTX

Picture for drooling purposes only.  lo
I bought a couple of the Double Ploppers today. They claim to be 5⁄8 oz. They also say they have a 2X strong # 5/0 hook.

I am thinking about using my 7' Heavy Moderate Fast Fenwick Aetos with a 7.0:1 Quantum Energy to throw it. They say these come through cover quite well so I plan to brush it against a lot of pads this year. So I was thinking the heavy power would be good but a moderate tip should help with the short strikes I see a lot of folks on YouTube seem to get.

Was curious what kind of action and power would you use on these? What do you guys use in similar situations? And what if any tips on this particular lure have you found to be helpful. And I have already got the trailer hook tip etched into my brain. ::) 

hubcap91

That should work fine. I throw big buzzbaits on an Okuma TCS 7'6" heavy with a Curado IHG and it works great! Fwiw I use braid with buzzbaits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

zippyduck

I've always used a MH mf for buzzbaits. Never had a problem with getting them out of the cover.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SFL BassHunter

You should be good with the mod tip. That thing does not cast well. The mod tip will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SteveTX

Braid is almost all I throw and what I have on the reel. Thx hubcap.

Zippy I can use MH rods as long as I don't get to close to the pads. Our pads have stems like small sticks. Braid don't cut these and if the fish ever gets ya wrapped around one your in trouble. I just prefer the heavier spine when I am near these. I do think a MH would be a better rod when I'm away from these pads though.

Great Rick I didn't think about the lure being crap to throw. I should have instantly known with its size it wasn't going to cast great.

This was just the best rod of my unused ones. I didn't currently have in the line up so at least I don't have to give up any of my other ones for this one lure.  ;D

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: SteveTX on January 22, 2018, 12:01:10 PM
Braid is almost all I throw and what I have on the reel. Thx hubcap.
Great Rick I didn't think about the lure being crap to throw. I should have instantly known with its size it wasn't going to cast great.

It's just not aerodynamic at all. Don't even try to throw it against the wind if you are trying to get distance.
If it was a little heavier say 3/4oz or 1oz it would cast much better. But then it might not float.

So far I have gotten 1 more hit on this than I have the whopper plopper.
Bite Score: Double Plopper 1, Whopper Plopper 0
Fish Caught: Double Plopper 0 , Whopper Plopper 0

~xyz
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SteveTX

Quote from: rickdelprado on January 22, 2018, 01:43:59 PM
It's just not aerodynamic at all. Don't even try to throw it against the wind if you are trying to get distance.
If it was a little heavier say 3/4oz or 1oz it would cast much better. But then it might not float.

So far I have gotten 1 more hit on this than I have the whopper plopper.
Bite Score: Double Plopper 1, Whopper Plopper 0
Fish Caught: Double Plopper 0 , Whopper Plopper 0

~xyz
Good to know info as always  ~roflmao Of course I haven't even got the two Double Ploppers yet they were just ordered yesterday or was it the day before. But I will say my Whopper Plopper scores are eerily similar to yours.  lo I had one about 8" Bass try and attack the 130 Loon one once but he failed miserably bouncing off the back of the Whopper Plopper. I'm absolutely sure he was dared by the other fish to do it. ;)

Lure-->
Whopper Plopper Loon 130Whopper Plopper Powder 110Double Plopper
Fish Caught:
Bite Score: