I pulled the trigger.

Started by Bruce8123, January 23, 2018, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce8123

Yep. I pulled the trigger on a dobyns ive been drooling over for months now. I bought a 685 cb. I bought it for squarebills. I really hope I like it cuz I never held a dobyns before. Hope it cast well and I like the action. The length of the rod and shorter rod handle are ideal for me. I'm excited. Can't wait.  ~c~

Lipripper

I'm sure you will be happy with it and be sure to stop back with a report on how you liked  it after you use it. ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

zippyduck

You won't be disappointed. Every Dobyns I have bought have exceled at what it was built for. They are also the most comfortable production rod I have used. Only other one I like is St. Croix.

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Smallie_Stalker

I'm sure you're going to be happy with your choice. Let us know what you think after you get a chance to put it to work for a bit.   ~sun
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

68camaro

Great rod, congrats, I use the 684 for topwater.
Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass

fishballer06

I've got the 684 and the 705 and I wish I had that 685. Such a sweet stick from throwing into tight spots with larger squarebills.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Kris

Congratulations on your first Dobyns purchase. I agree with Zippy that it is the best balanced and comfortable rods I have ever owned. Let us know how you like yours.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Mike Cork

Quote from: Bruce8123 on January 23, 2018, 05:52:39 PM
Yep. I pulled the trigger on a dobyns ive been drooling over for months now. I bought a 685 cb. I bought it for squarebills. I really hope I like it cuz I never held a dobyns before. Hope it cast well and I like the action. The length of the rod and shorter rod handle are ideal for me. I'm excited. Can't wait.  ~c~

I'm excited for you, you're going to love it. However be honest and let us know what you think after you get to fish with it.  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bruce8123

Bruce8123

Dobyns came in today. Didn't fish it yet but was holding it and it is lightest rod ive ever had. Love the action. Ran a reel with some line through the guides and tied a small squarebill. Felt really good just doing small tosses in back yard. Can't wait for the ice to melt to hook a bass on it!!

Lipripper

Quote from: Bruce8123 on January 26, 2018, 08:09:13 PM
Dobyns came in today. Didn't fish it yet but was holding it and it is lightest rod ive ever had. Love the action. Ran a reel with some line through the guides and tied a small squarebill. Felt really good just doing small tosses in back yard. Can't wait for the ice to melt to hook a bass on it!!
You could try it on the ice and drive them Bass crazy trying to get to it.  lo lo

cbburke

I did that years ago when the lake was covered with ice. I decided to stay there and throw on the ice for practice.

Few minutes later, an old woman came up to me and asked me what I was doing since she can see that the lake was frozen with ice. 

I said: "Oh, it's a ritual of mine brought me good luck during the fishing season"
"The bass is always looking up through the ice, they know what is coming"

She looked at me and said this: "I never thought of that" and walked away :) 
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

Mike Cork

Congrats on getting the rod in hand, just another thing to add to cabin fever though  :surrender:

Quote from: cbburke on January 28, 2018, 07:56:45 PM
I did that years ago when the lake was covered with ice. I decided to stay there and throw on the ice for practice.

Few minutes later, an old woman came up to me and asked me what I was doing since she can see that the lake was frozen with ice. 

I said: "Oh, it's a ritual of mine brought me good luck during the fishing season"
"The bass is always looking up through the ice, they know what is coming"

She looked at me and said this: "I never thought of that" and walked away :) 

~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao

Now she tells everyone the pro's secret

Cork's Reel Service

Gary Dobyns

Champ 685 CB has a good following in parts of the country. It's a decent moving rod for us. I like longer rods myself so we don't push it at all. But still it sells well. In fact we sell a lot of 6'8" & 6'9" rods and I don't understand it  :) :)

This is why we offer so many lengths, powers, and actions. Fishermen want what they want...if you don't build it they'll look elsewhere. I don't think anyone makes as many bass rods as we do. Dealers and marketing people have told me it's DUMB or it's STUPID to make so many. But, the fishermen tell me it's AWESOME getting what they want. I guess I'm proud to be a fisherman in the DUMB crowd!! :):)

Mike Cork

I know it's a lot to manage Gary but us fisherman do appreciate the options and your stopping to help us decide :-*

Cork's Reel Service

Bruce8123

Quote from: Gary Dobyns on January 30, 2018, 06:06:09 PM
Champ 685 CB has a good following in parts of the country. It's a decent moving rod for us. I like longer rods myself so we don't push it at all. But still it sells well. In fact we sell a lot of 6'8" & 6'9" rods and I don't understand it  :) :)

This is why we offer so many lengths, powers, and actions. Fishermen want what they want...if you don't build it they'll look elsewhere. I don't think anyone makes as many bass rods as we do. Dealers and marketing people have told me it's DUMB or it's STUPID to make so many. But, the fishermen tell me it's AWESOME getting what they want. I guess I'm proud to be a fisherman in the DUMB crowd!! :):)
Also one of the few companies that offer full grips :). Which I like. I usually cast two handed and casting two handed with a split grip is uncomfortable to me. I'm weird.

Lipripper

Quote from: Bruce8123 on February 01, 2018, 09:28:55 AM
Also one of the few companies that offer full grips :). Which I like. I usually cast two handed and casting two handed with a split grip is uncomfortable to me. I'm weird.
That's not weird. I cast two handed also and like the full grips too.  ;D

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Bruce8123 on February 01, 2018, 09:28:55 AM

I prefer the full grips myself. Pretty much if I'm not pitchin', fliipin or roll casting tight to cover i'm throwing two-handed. Doing it with split grips is definitely not a natural feeling to me. In fact it can be a bit distracting. It always makes me aware that I need to hold the rod a certain way. Taking those extra few seconds to have to think about something other than the fish adds up over the course of a day.  :-*
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire