Feb 2018 BS'n, Bassin and Valentine's Day

Started by Donald Garner, January 31, 2018, 07:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelHorseCowboy

Hey, I know a fella near Fayettevill who works on boats too, name's Phil somethin or another. Has a mobile marine service. Wouldn't happen to be the same guy?

Don, I know a little something about group punishments. Best school I ever went to was Parris Island, and they were very fond of that absurdly effective method.
As to stall doors, we had none on PI. Too many suicide attempts in the past.
One of the Drill Instructors caught a recruit whistling to himself while sitting on the throne. There were 5 others in the head at the moment, I was one of them. He made us line up in front of him and do pushups until we collapsed. And then until we collapsed again. All the while making him stay on the can and continue whistling his tune; the Andy Griffith theme, I'll never forget.
I'll give it to him though, he sat there bare azzed and humiliated whistling for all he was worth, defiantly trying his best to drown out the DI's barking. Instead of being angry, we all had a bit of grudging respect for him afterward.

So what happened with the shotty is this:
Connie told her mom I was planning to restore it at no charge. Connie's mom made a good judgement call and decided to kind of feel the guy out, mentioned something along the line's of "he'll probably go ahead and do it just because he enjoys it." He made it very clear he doesn't appreciate free services.
But he's getting a new front sight regardless, in addition to the deep clean and parts polishing it needs. That's as per standing orders from future ma-in-law.
A restoration will devalue many collectible guns. This one isn't collectible though, it's a basic Savage/Stevens single shot 20 gauge. I'd give $75 for it myself, and that's generous. In the condition I'd restore it to it'd be worth about $100.

Not much of interest going on here. Haven't been fishing lately, the weather is just too miserable.

Lipripper

Morning SHC and you must have better reception today since you made a longer post.  ;D Hope you can get out fishing soon.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Donald Garner

Good evening to everyone,

Happy Valentine's Day to all the UB ladies out there.  Guys hope ya'll did the right thing and got flowers, candy  ~shade  If not oh well  ~b~

Started the morning off with cloudy skies and light rain.  Finished the day up with partly sunny skies.  Our temps for today were 58 / 69dgrs.  Our professional weather experts have changed the forecast for the next couple days from raining to partly sunny skies.  The temps look like 42 / 71 for the rest of the work week.

Took some different cold med's last night wound up sleeping all night long.  It was kinda hard staying awake at work this morning till mid afternoon  ~shade  We made it through the day with the knuckle heads staying out of trouble for once. 

Stopped by Academy last night on the way home from my dental appointment and picked up my new Lowrance Hook 7.  My box came in from BPS this morning with the Ram Mount and Screen cover.  The only parts / hardware I need is the nuts and bolts to hold the ram mount to the base of the electronics.  Guess this weekend I'll down low the Stratos and make the phone call to the marine dealership for an appointment.  I'm having them install the electronics and may as well have the wheel hubs checked.  That will be one less worry I'll have while driving to Toledo Bend next month to attend the 15th Annual UBCS.   I can't wait to get it out on the water and play with it. 

Rodney;  Glad to hear your outside walk ended with out any injuries.  Funny thing you mentioning cameras.  The principal had a budget meeting today and they're buying and installing more cameras  ~c~  I'm excited about getting the new electronic up and  running.  There's lots of places on Belton and Stillhouse I want to explore more now.

Bud; You are going to love that recess trolling motor pedal tray.  It won't take but just a little bit for you to get used to it.  I love the one I have in my Stratos.  I'm still trying to figure out how to get one in my G3.

Lip;  Your Camel is wondering around with the Free Herding Cattle and my camel over on Ft. Hood buddy  ;)  Guess you'll have to get another one latter on  lo  Tks for the Coffee, juice and donuts this morning. 

SHC;  When I was in Basic and AIT we had open stalls and urinals there was not hiding anything back in those days > Summer of 1975 Ft. Polk, Louisiana.  Tks for sharing the story with us.  I can just picture what you printed.  It had to be a site to see and remember  ~shade  I got one of those old Stevens / Savage single shot 12ga shot guns.  I bought it Fairbanks Alaska at Kmart.  I paid like $ 100.00 dollars for back in 1996.  I used to hunt rabbits with during the Winter time up there.  Those are cool little shot guns.

Guys you all have a great day tomorrow.  Hopefully it will get warmer so all that White Stuff will melt  ~shade 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Oldfart9999

Good morning all!!! 39 headed to 50, cloudy, no sun, possible showers. Yeah I'm sore. ~xyz ~xyz ~rant Might just chill today.
Lip, I started on that reel yesterday, lots of grease and oil, even on the bearings, AR bearing was coated in grease. I left some of the metal parts and all the ball bearings to soak over night, this morning I'll fire up the jewelry cleaner for a few more minutes. I'm not going to tune it, just a good clean and lube for a baseline, we'll see about tuning after that. I wouldn't consider falling on a metal patella to be funny, sorry you fell, hope everything is fine this am!!! Prayers!!!
Donald, you must be getting a bit excited about the Stratos, it's all coming together! Should be a good trip to Toledo Bend for you!!! Good to hear you're feeling better, hope it keeps up!!! Prayers continue!! Sounds like the school is tired of all the damage and figured it would be cheaper to catch them and end it than wring their hands wondering what's next. :-* :-*
SHC, I think I might have, with grudging respect, kicked that guys butt a couple times!! lo It's a shame the guy won't spend the extra bit it takes to bring the whole gun back to like new, oh well, can't fix stupid. When I was at the gun school I was handed a Winnie Mod 12 Pigeon Grade somebody spilled pickle juice on, the receiver was ugly. Acid etch the top of the receiver, hand polish everything else, clean up the checkering and refinish all the wood, it was a beautiful piece when it was done, the original engraving and all. The engraving on the receiver had been done by hand at the factory, while I wouldn't own 1 it was a beautiful gun!!! The stock had a lot of figure, the deep dark blueing, I hot tanked it, just gorgeous to look at.
Bud, won't be long now, the Ranger will be as good as new!!!
Have a great day!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bud Kennedy

Boat is on the charger giving the batteries some exercise.  Today is a beautiful day bright and sunny with a breeze but the temp at this moment is 80.  Is a good day to play with the boat.  Gotta clean it all out and get ready to go to Charleston for the new trailer in a couple of weeks.  I will take some carpet pics today while I have the chance.  The new trolling pedal tray is arriving today and will be installed by the carpet guy.  I suppose carpet will happen sometime in about mid march if all goes as planned.  The new trailer is all paid for and now just waiting for them to finish and ask me to bring the boat down for the transfer to the new trailer. 

Other than these planned expenses, have you ever noticed that February seems to be the month where you have more bills than money.  ~shade  It seems like it has been a long time since I have gotten a pay day.  It just seems like the shortest month is also the longest month in many ways.

Lipripper

everyone and the snow is melting like the wicked witch in th eland of Qz  ~c~ ~c~ It's 43* and it feels like 43*  but it is cloudy and fogy and they say we might hit 55* by Monday  :shocking: I'm not holding my breath on that on just yet.  lo lo If it keeps going like this I'm gong to have to drive around and see if I can find some open water I might be able to cast into.  ;D Rodney I bet this up and down weather has got you joints hurting. It would do you good just to chill today. Sounds like you have been busy with that reel. I wouldn't even try to take mine apart like that cause I just might not be able to get it back together again with all the parts back where they go. lo lo Donald I hope they put them new cameras in the right spots like right out side the entrance to the bathrooms so maybe y'all can figure out who them knot heads are that are doing all the damage. Thanks for the update on my camel and for keeping an eye on him while he's on vacation. Bud sounds like everything is going in the right direction and and soon you will have your new trailer and your baby will have a new look. ~c~  ~c~ Hope everyone has a great day and be safe out there. Oh Rodney my knee still hurts a little and has a skinned spot about the size of a silver dollar but it is already scabbing over and just hurts a little.

Bud Kennedy

Sitting around tonight making old man noises.  Spent all day messing with the boat.  Temps got up to 82 today so it made for a really pleasant day outside.  Got everything unloaded from the boat and stored away in the garage and in my man room.  Hard to believe sometimes just how much stuff one can put into an 18' boat.  Took just a few pictures that I posted earlier in the boat ramp and trailer forums and don't plan on any more until I go get the new trailer.  Before I take the boat for carpet I have to remove some on deck screw on things like rod hold downs and a bracket that holds the front deck electronics.  Also gonna remove both seat pedestals on the front and rear decks so the carpet guy won't have to deal with them.  The R&R trolling pedal tray arrived today so glad that is done.  Last fall I re treated my boat cover with water proofing stuff so I don't have to do that again until this coming fall. 

Now to explain the old main noises.....Today I have exercised muscles that have not been used for quite a while and am experiencing some stiff muscles in my legs and butt.  Now thats something you don't hear everyday.  Each time I get up from a seated position there are lots of moans and groans if you know what I mean.  ;D

Lipripper

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on February 15, 2018, 05:44:46 PM
Sitting around tonight making old man noises.  Spent all day messing with the boat.  Temps got up to 82 today so it made for a really pleasant day outside.  Got everything unloaded from the boat and stored away in the garage and in my man room.  Hard to believe sometimes just how much stuff one can put into an 18' boat.  Took just a few pictures that I posted earlier in the boat ramp and trailer forums and don't plan on any more until I go get the new trailer.  Before I take the boat for carpet I have to remove some on deck screw on things like rod hold downs and a bracket that holds the front deck electronics.  Also gonna remove both seat pedestals on the front and rear decks so the carpet guy won't have to deal with them.  The R&R trolling pedal tray arrived today so glad that is done.  Last fall I re treated my boat cover with water proofing stuff so I don't have to do that again until this coming fall. 

Now to explain the old main noises.....Today I have exercised muscles that have not been used for quite a while and am experiencing some stiff muscles in my legs and butt.  Now thats something you don't hear everyday.  Each time I get up from a seated position there are lots of moans and groans if you know what I mean.  ;D
Bud I know what you mean  :'( I'm still feeling the pain from two days ago when I slipped and fell right on my metal knee cap.

Donald Garner

Good evening to all,

Clear skies 58 / 71 were the temps for today here in Central Texas  ~sun ~c~  Busy day at work, lots of over flowing toilets to clean up after.  We had a major back up today.  I had to call in the plumbers and the motorized 100ft electrical snake to unclog  a pipe.  It took them just about 2.5 hours to get the job done.  Amazing some of the stuff that snake brought back up to the surface.  Just to mention a few items > a small piece of a rug / carpet?  The other items were an Ace Bandage, pieces of a kids shirt, shoe laces, lanyard from ID card chit like that.  They hooked into something the machine couldn't pull up to the top.  They managed to get the 4" inch pipe cleared.  What didn't get pulled up got pushed into the main sewer pipe.  I wound up having to work late till 7pm sure makes for a long day when chit happens  lo

Rodney; Nothing wrong with taking a break from punishing your body there  ~shade  Yep I'm getting excited about getting the Stratos cleaned up and refitted and on the road to Toledo Bend.  Sometimes I get more excited about planning a trip than actually fishing it..... Sometimes  ;)

Bud; Sounds as if you were pretty busy get the Ranger already for the refitting that fixing to occur.  Good luck with getting everything done.  She's going to be a New Boat once everything has been completed.   Be safe in your travels to pickup that new trailer also.  Bud when you get to be 'Our ages' we're expected to make those Man Noises  lo

Lip; Buddy hope the knee is feeling better than yesterday.  You're camel is on his own now.  He's enjoying the company of the other animals and my camel  ~shade

Guys get out and enjoy the warmer weather if you can.  Have a great day tomorrow.
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

Oldfart9999

TGIF!!! TGIF!!! 39 headed to mid to high 20s, precip is about over 'cept for a few possible flurries, highs in the 60s beginning of next week, the rollercoaster lives. lo lo
Good to hear your knee isn't too bad Lip, the back wasn't too bad yesterday and it's not today though I can still feel it, the rest of the joints are pretty well. ;D ;D
Donald, the weekend is here none too soon for you!!! :shocking: :o At the rate you're racking up the overtime you'll be able to afford all new tackle. those kids really need to be taught the meaning of self control, beginning with their parents!!! I know when I went to school if there was trouble of any type I had detention then I had to deal with my Father, if I did do anything I didn't do it again!!! Society really needs to change. When I went to school, a kid with a gun especially during hunting season was no big deal, today we need metal detectors, armed guards and the buildings need to be locked down, something we have here, the armed guards are cops.
Bud, I know those "old man" sounds, I hear them quite a bit, never knew I would be the one making them! :shocking: :o :surrender: At least yours come after an accomplishment. lo I have to change out a battery this spring when I uncover the boat, I also need to change the ends on the charger ends, they are getting old and are in need of repair, I'm eager to see the before and after pics, those old Rangers were really nice boats.
Have a great day and weekend!!!
Rodney   

Lipripper

and It's 33* but feels like 23* with the wind chill and not suppose to get much warmer today an dit's a little cloudy but no  ~rain WOW Rodney after I saw you said y'all was going to be getting 60's next week I had to look and see what we were going to be getting and ours showed a couple of days in the mid 50's  and only one day at freezing and a few 40's at this rate some of that hard water should go away. ~c~ ~c~ I know though that Mother Natures and winter isn't over just yet though but it a good start. ;D Donald sounds like y'all had a real big back up and I bet it was a mess to clean up. I'm not shocked by what the plumber pulled out of there. I am surprised it don't happen more with all them knot heads. SHC how y'all doing down there and hopw you can get out and catch a fish on your next trip out. Bud what you have on the agenda for today or are you going to take it easy? Hope everyone has a great day and be safe out there.

Bud Kennedy

Lip, went to the post office this morning and then to walmart to pick up some prescriptions.  gassed up the expedition on the way back home.  Now I have to put some air in the trailer tire that was the spare then secure the boat cover and get her back to the storage lot.  Then it is time to go get groceries.  That should about do it today.

Todays temperatures will be near record levels in the mid 80s.  It is very windy with some gusty winds that could gust as high as 35mph.  Rain tomorrow with temps only in the 50s but returning to the 70s on Sunday.   The pollen season has just started.  Got a nice coating on the truck.  Probably pine pollen.  The pollen will continue to build until about mid April while all the trees start coming out.  The pear trees are already showing signs of some buds.

Mrs. Bud is running around here today reminding me of a whole bunch of things she actually thinks I am gonna do........"Silly Girl"

Lipripper

You got a busy day going and just how does Mrs Bud expect you to fit anything else into it. lo lo

Donald Garner

Good evening to everyone,

Clear Skies 47 / 71 were the temps for today here in Central Texas  ~sun  It was Quiet today at school  ~shhh  Don't know what the heck was going on but it was  ~shhh ~shhh ~shhh  We got the Special Olympics back at school tomorrow so I'll be in there tending to their needs for 1/2 day.

Bud; Sounds as if you're going to be busy or were busy  ~shade

Lip; The mess the machine made wasn't too bad.  The night shift responsible for the area got the job done.  I checked on it during my early morning walk through  ;)

Rodney; Glad to hear the joints and muscles are getting well.  You should be hitting the gym come Monday morning again.  We have armed community police officers at all our middle schools and at the high school.  The high school also has non-armed security personnel there also.  For sure discipline is something that is very much lacking in today's society.

Guys you all have a very pleasant and relaxing weekend ahead.

Lipripper

Evening Donald and glad they got it all taken care of and you didn't have to worry about it. A quite day at school  :shocking: they must be planing something  lo lo Have a good day helping out the Special Olympics tomorrow. I will be by here in the morning to say good morning but after 1:00 I will be out of touch I'm taking Diana out to do something we haven't done in a long long long time. We are going to the show first to watch the Rock in Jumanji this will be the first time I've been to the show in I can't remember how long and after that we are going to stop at Applebees which we use to go to a lot before I got cancer. Well it's our 40th anniversary tomorrow so I decided to treat her to a evening out and a little break from her 98 year old mom who lives with us.  ;D

Oldfart9999

HAPPY SATURDAY!!!! 21 headed to 36 possible precip but for now sunny.Have some stuff to do at Church then off to the library, we get videos from there and yesterday I returned them, along with season 3 & 4 of DOWNTON ABBY, part of a set she had bought, I need to retrieve it, pay ransom if I must but for peace in the house and for the sake of my marriage, even if it costs me ALL my Spring Fling money I have to get it back. :surrender: ~roflmao ~roflmao
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY LIPRIPPER!!! :toot: :toot: :toot: ~lu ~lu ~lu ~heart ~heart ~heart May you and Diana have a most BLESSED day together!!!
Bud, sounds like Santa is still coming to your house. lo I'm surprised that Mrs' Bud doesn't understand what a busy day is for a retired man, especially one that has the family bass boat on his mind. I think wives consider it their solemn duty to be sure the husband never has a slow moment.
Donald, 2 days of no delinquents, good deal. Do you get to watch some videos while your at work this morning? When I was doing therapy the time I spent on stim and ice I watched Wired2fish videos, they have a lot of good stuff.
SHC, you guys doing alright?
Have a great day!!!
Rodney

Lipripper

Morning everyone and it's 21* but feels like13* with the wind chill but suppose to reach 38*with a few flurries this evening,That's ok cause it's only going to last for a couple of hours and amount to less than 1/2 and will all be gone tomorrow when it gets up to 47* they are still saying it's going to hit 60* on Monday we will just have to wait and see. Rodney I hope you don't have to spend all your Spring Fling money to get it back but if you do anything is worth the price to get peace in the house  lo Just in case I don't make it back on line today hope everyone has a great day and be safe out there. 

Bud Kennedy

Been out this morning looking for a boat storage location.  Visited three spots and and like two of them.  Pricing was similar one was $40 p/mo and one was $45.p/mo.  Both locations had ok security but the $45. location is a bit more convenient.  Probably will select the most convenient spot even though it is slightly more.  Should be able to firm up my selection about mid week after the deals are all confirmed.  As it turns out these kinds of spots are in high demand so you gotta move quick. 

The Mrs is out today taking a super senior out for grocery shopping and a trip to the drug store to pick up their prescriptions.

Donald Garner

Afternoon guys,

Cloudy chance of rain later on tonight.  The temps for today here in Central Texas 46 / 58 not a bad day weather wise.  Spent the morning 8am - 1pm at school the Special Olympics were there practicing their basketball skills.  Got home uncovered the Stratos emptied all the storage boxes out.  Got everything stored in the garage one day this week I'll take the Stratos in to have the new electronics installed.  Nothing else planned for today the wife is out and about somewhere.  She was gone when I got home.
Knock on wood I'm feeling pretty good I think this crud has run its course  ~c~

Lip; Happy Anniversary to you and lovely lady  ~c~ ~c~  Enjoy the time together this evening.

Bud; Glad you were able to find a storage place.  Is it a covered place with lockable doors and electricity?  Sure hope it works out for ya.

Rodney; Sounds as if you had a busy morning.  Hope you were able to get those DVD's back.  While the Special Olympics members were honing up on their basketball skills I watch a couple episodes of the Bassmasters.  I checked out Lake Dardanelle event where Steve Kennedy won and the St. Lawrence event where KVD won.

You guys and everyone else have a relaxing weekend.   

Donald Garner

Good morning to everyone,

We're starting the day off with cloudy skies and 49dgrs.  They're calling for a 60% chance of rain today we'll have to wait and see about that.  Looking at the week ahead we're forecasted for thunderstorms 3 of the 5 days this week.  We can sure use the rain.
We're off to church here in a little bit.  Don't have a clue where our dinner meals going to be at.  She mentioned something yesterday about some BBQ ribs  :food :food ;PEP) ;PEP) 

Hope everyone is doing well this morning.  Get outside and enjoy the day if the weather is pleasant.

Lipripper

everyone and it's 23* but feels like 13* but the  ~sun is out and suppose to get up to 44* today and 56* tomorrow. ~c~ ~c~  We went and saw Jamiji with the frock in it. It was a very funny movie. Donald know you will be happy to get your new  electronics installed. ~c~ ~c~  Bud glad you were able to find another place that was still not a long way from your house and not going to cost an arm and a leg to keep your boat there. Rodney y'all still have snow on the ground ? When we got out of the show last night it was snowing but by the time we got out of the restaurant it had already stopped. We got less than 1/2 inch and that will be gone today along with most of all we had on the last storm we had. Hope everyone has a good day and be safe out there.

Bud Kennedy

She who shall be obeyed is in her glory outside today.  She is subject to extreme spring fever and immediately tries to do more things than possible in her quest to have fun as she calls it.  Upon returning from Church she immediately began washing and vacuuming her car. Then she gets side tracked and pulls a few weeds and then it happened.  She actually thinks I am gonna trim the palm trees.  Whoa there old girl, that is not gonna happen today.  The spring trim of palm trees is a major deal that involves multiple trips to the recycle center to get read of the dead limbs etc. 

She is bound and determined to pry the lid off of my "Nothing Box" on this cool and overcast Sunday.  To distract her I did change the filter in the Air Cleaner in the attic but that had little effect on her to do list.  Now she is babbling something about paint on the exterior of the house.  I guess I have to take the calendar out to her and convince her that indeed it is still February and a bit early for some of these tasks but I doubt that will matter.  I just have to wait her out until she becomes exhausted from her "fun" then everything will be ok.   ;D

Lipripper

Bud  ~roflmao ~roflmao Sounds like your having a fun day. Your right trimming them palms is a job for a full day of labor not half day.  ~sweat

Oldfart9999

Afternoon all!!! 21 when I git up 36 now, we had a a touch of snow last night but it's 80/90% gone. Got the DVDFs back, no problem, they did have a chuckle about it though, we watched a couple of episodes last night and will to night. ;D I got the reel done and tried it out, that flourocarbon has been the reel for a loooonngg time, it came off the reel in coils. I think it'll the reel will do well, the line, not so much. lo lo It'll get changed out. ;D
Lip, sounds like you weather will come through here in a couple of days, weird weather this winter.
Donald, sounds like yesterday and today were relaxing, good deal!!
Bud, good about the storage, bad about SWMBO having spring fever. Hopefully it'll get better.
Rodney 

Oldfart9999

HAPPY HAPPY MONDAY!!! 40 headed to 50 or so, sunny til later when we might get some rain.
I DID IT!!! YAABBAADDAABBAADOOO!!! Back to the gym finally!!! All I did was 30 on the stairmaster but I got er done!!! ~bb ~bb ~bb Maybe now I can get my sugar under control, it's been all over the place. ;D
Hope ya'll had a great weekend!!!
Rodney