Budget Rod and Reel Challenge!!!!

Started by Blacknredflake, February 01, 2018, 07:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blacknredflake

Ok yall given  that Uncle Sam said I deserve a little kick back from being a loyal tax payer this year... Im granting myself a $150 allowance for 2 new rods and reels!

Yes only $150!!!

Heres my challenge to yall!!

Put together the 2 rods and two reels with the given budget!!!!!! Can exceed the limit by a small amount ($10-$20).

Heres what Im lookin for!

Spinning rod/reel for wacky...drop shot...shakey heads..flukes  (stuff like that)

Casting rod/reel for flipping...frogs...punching..jigs  ( yea thats asking alot)

What do yall think would be the absolute best setups for the budget given!

Can be combos already paired or piece together.

SHOW ME WHAT YALL CAN PUT TOGETHER!
BITE THE DAMN WORM!

Lipripper

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Blacknredflake

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

coldfront

Quote from: Lipripper on February 01, 2018, 07:16:52 PM
That's a tuff order to fill  ~sweat

can get one good spinning combo, then wait for next year to get another.
sorry, but life's too short to make do with inferior equipment (stuff that won't last and perform for years)

clearly, I will be of little to no help.

Lipripper

If you have a BPS close by some times you can find some good deals on combo's I have a Bill Dance spinning combo that I pick up from my BPS several years ago for around $60 that I use for my worm set up and have caught several fish on it. They sometimes also have some good deals on Casting rod/reel combos also.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Princeton_Man

When I was on a tighter budget, I fished a lot of Lew's combos. I'm not sure I could squeeze two out of $150. You might do that with Berkley rods and Shakespeare reels.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Blacknredflake

Oh Im not worried bout inferior equipment. If it lasts a year with me its a good buy.

I use a Abu Black Max 3 combo baitcaster and Silver max baitcaster reel with Ambassaduer Tournament edition rod.

Fishing on the cheap doesnt bother me.

Just curious to what yall would piece together with the budget allowed.
BITE THE DAMN WORM!

Blacknredflake

or better yet... what would YALL get if yall had $150
BITE THE DAMN WORM!

zippyduck

Quote from: Blacknredflake on February 01, 2018, 08:01:48 PM
or better yet... what would YALL get if yall had $150

A daiwa Tatula ct then save for a rod.

Honestly I'll look into it and come up with a real answer
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

LgMouthGambler

For a baitcaster, check out the Daiwa Fuego CT. You can get them for close to $70.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

cport

Ok here's for spinning:

Berkeley Lightning Rod, 6'6" M  $28.36 at Wally World online

Pflueger President 3000 $59.99 @ Dick's

Total $88.35, within the 10 to 20 dollars over.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

zippyduck

Cport,

Excellent choices for the price.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Justin62882

Abu garcia silver max combo I just bought 2. For spinning combo abu garcia silver max combo as well nice smooth 5 ball bearing reel and decentbrod as well. 140 for both before taxes. You wont be sorry with these two
Fishing Is not an escape  from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.

SteveTX

Casting

Reel Abu Garcia® Silver Max Low Profile $38.88 MODEL# SMAX3R

Berkley® Lightning Rod™ Casting $33.99
Lew's® David Fritts Perfect Crankbait Speed Stick® Series 7'6" MH Casting Rod $14.98

Spinning

Pflueger® President® Spinning Reel $36.88 MODEL#6940B

Berkley® Lightning Rod™ Spinning $33.99

$143.85 for both ^^^ 

Pre made Combos

Berkley® Lightning Rod™ Spinning Combo $50.99

Berkley® Lightning Rod™ LowPro CastCombo $59.49

$110.48 for both ^^^

Just all kinds a possibilities checking sales and thoroughly shopping the web and local stores for anything from mislabeled to clearance items.
There is a killer deal on a entry crankbait rod for $14.98 was $79.99 if you wanted to throw that in.

Personally I would work on a single combo to start and get a little better casting rod. Next year or later pick up a second setup as funds permit. Otherwise you later will want to upgrade and then you will park these. They wont bring anything used as they are the cheapest ones available pretty much so resale is next to 0. 

Blacknredflake

Quote from: Justin62882 on February 01, 2018, 11:59:15 PM
Abu garcia silver max combo I just bought 2. For spinning combo abu garcia silver max combo as well nice smooth 5 ball bearing reel and decentbrod as well. 140 for both before taxes. You wont be sorry with these two
I use the Silver max on my Worm rod....love it!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

Blacknredflake

Quote from: SteveTX on February 02, 2018, 02:52:42 AM
Casting

Reel Abu Garcia Silver Max Low Profile $38.88 MODEL# SMAX3R

Berkley Lightning Rod Casting $33.99
Lew's David Fritts Perfect Crankbait Speed Stick Series 7'6" MH Casting Rod $14.98

Spinning

Pflueger President Spinning Reel $36.88 MODEL#6940B

Berkley Lightning Rod Spinning $33.99

$143.85 for both ^^^ 

Pre made Combos

Berkley Lightning Rod Spinning Combo $50.99

Berkley Lightning Rod LowPro CastCombo $59.49

$110.48 for both ^^^

Just all kinds a possibilities checking sales and thoroughly shopping the web and local stores for anything from mislabeled to clearance items.
There is a killer deal on a entry crankbait rod for $14.98 was $79.99 if you wanted to throw that in.

Personally I would work on a single combo to start and get a little better casting rod. Next year or later pick up a second setup as funds permit. Otherwise you later will want to upgrade and then you will park these. They wont bring anything used as they are the cheapest ones available pretty much so resale is next to 0.
Where can that Lews 7'6" be found.  For that price Ill buy two

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

Oldfart9999

BPS 7' med action PRO QUALIFIER spinning rod with a PRO QUALIFIER reel combo, buying the combo saves about 30$.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

LgMouthGambler

Abu Garcia has a Revo X combo for $149.95. Thats a solid combo.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteveTX

Quote from: Blacknredflake on February 02, 2018, 05:50:55 AM
Where can that Lews 7'6" be found.  For that price Ill buy two

Academy

SFL BassHunter

Berkley Lightning Rod for both your spinning and casting. That's about $80 (39.99 each at full price)

Pflueger Trion 20 at walmart $29.99 for your spinning

That's 110
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with any casting reels I would recommend at a price point of $40 dollars.
But if you go with the suggestion the other guys mentioned you could go with the Silver Max and fall into the budget.

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SteelHorseCowboy

I love Steve's suggestions.
Berkely Lightning Rods. I love 'em, but I just bought a whole set of Fuji guides from the tackle shop that came off a Dobyns that was broken during shipping. I'd worn grooves into my tip after less than a year.

I love my Abu Garcia Vigilante. 7' Medium, same MSRP as a Lightning Rod I believe, not taking sales into consideration.

Reels: I'd start at pawn shops, yard sales and thrift stores, I've had great luck lately at picking up entry level reels for mere pocket change. $15 Shimano Caenan, $10 Ambassadeurs, $3.99 for an older Shimano TX4000 spinning reel WITH a rod. Nothing high end, but good equipment, albeit a little older, for a fraction of the cost of buying new.

Actually, the owner of the pawn shop I frequent told me a few days ago that he should have some more tackle coming out of hold today. I'm already planning on swinging by during my lunch break. I'll let you know if I find anything nice.

Blacknredflake

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on February 02, 2018, 10:54:56 AM
I love Steve's suggestions.
Berkely Lightning Rods. I love 'em, but I just bought a whole set of Fuji guides from the tackle shop that came off a Dobyns that was broken during shipping. I'd worn grooves into my tip after less than a year.

I love my Abu Garcia Vigilante. 7' Medium, same MSRP as a Lightning Rod I believe, not taking sales into consideration.

Reels: I'd start at pawn shops, yard sales and thrift stores, I've had great luck lately at picking up entry level reels for mere pocket change. $15 Shimano Caenan, $10 Ambassadeurs, $3.99 for an older Shimano TX4000 spinning reel WITH a rod. Nothing high end, but good equipment, albeit a little older, for a fraction of the cost of buying new.

Actually, the owner of the pawn shop I frequent told me a few days ago that he should have some more tackle coming out of hold today. I'm already planning on swinging by during my lunch break. I'll let you know if I find anything nice.
Sweet!!

Taking all yalls suggestions under consideration

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

njpaulc

Berkeley Cherrywood rods are cheaper than the Lightening Rods and are very nice, I buy them for my kids and don't mind using them.  I believe they are $29.99.

SteelHorseCowboy

Flake, sorry man, didn't get around to the pawn shop Friday. Not long after I posted that, I got a call from the youngest boy's school, he'd done thrown up all over the gym locker room during PE so I had to go pick him up. I do plan to swing by today. I know they have some newer Lew's gear that's been on hold for a while, I'm hoping to catch those when they hit the sales floor.

I'll also agree with Paul on the Cherrywoods rods, they're pretty decent for the price. But I do think it's worth it to spend a few extra bucks and get a Lightning rod.

cport

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on February 05, 2018, 07:08:10 AM
Flake, sorry man, didn't get around to the pawn shop Friday. Not long after I posted that, I got a call from the youngest boy's school, he'd done thrown up all over the gym locker room during PE so I had to go pick him up. I do plan to swing by today. I know they have some newer Lew's gear that's been on hold for a while, I'm hoping to catch those when they hit the sales floor.

I'll also agree with Paul on the Cherrywoods rods, they're pretty decent for the price. But I do think it's worth it to spend a few extra bucks and get a Lightning rod.
I agree, the Cherrywoods, although a good rod, are kinda whippy.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣