New Problem for my Evinrude

Started by dreamcatcher, February 01, 2018, 10:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamcatcher

Was out today on the Lake, and catching a few Bass. But the Evinrude was trying to ruin the day...
This is a good one.
Started out in the morning and everything was great. The motor started up with two cranks. Sounded great. We ran down the lake for about 15 miles and started fishing.  When we decided to move to another spot after an hour, the engine would not start. It kept turning over for a few seconds then drop out. Nothing. We tried a few things, checked the filters, gas supply etc etc. and couldn't figure out what was going on. We thought it might be electrical ??????  Fished for a while, then tried it again about 1/2 hour later. Same thing.
We flagged down a boat heading back to the Marina and was greatful for a tow almost to our destination. Started back on the trolling motor towards the Marina, We decided to try the big engine again, AND guess what ...it started right up. We fished for another couple of hours and moved often. Starting the engine numerous times without any problem 
??????????????? What happened.  Is there a coil that got hot or something and cooled down or  ~xyz   Any thoughts ?
Motor is an 1992 Evinrude 200XP
The worst day Fishing is better than not fishing

Oldfart9999

I have no clue, it sounds like somehow air might have gotten into the gas line, just a guess. You could have picked up some dirt from the bottom of the tank, just a guess.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Princeton_Man

I'm thinking kill switch circuit or possibly a connector going to the power pack. If it happens a gain, you could try pulling the kill switch lanyard and reconnecting.

I'd probably hook her up to the hose at home, pull the cover off and do some examining. Start her up and move the wires and connectors around. If you find nothing. Look at the connectors closely, maybe disconnect and reconnect. I put a little dielectric grease on the connections to help keep out water and prevent corrosion. 
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Pacific NW Ron

Did you check to see if you were getting power to the spark plugs?  Not really enough information to diagnose.  My guess would be electrical.  Does the marina where you keep your boat have a shop?
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

dreamcatcher

We did check for spark and it was good. There is no shop at the Marina. Will have to take it into town to a outboard mechanics shop. The only thing is that to diagnose a problem, it can't be running like it is now  :-\

dreamcatcher

Princeton_Man....I did mess with the kill switch, pulled it, pushed it in, reconnected the lanyard. Did nothing. Did not go further like checking the connection to the power pack. Not sure how to find that.
I'll recheck all the connections, but we already did that on the water. Good suggestion to put dielectric grease on the connections.

Princeton_Man

I've had a few rudes, I seem to recall there's a mechanism tied to the throttle linkage that has something to do with timing advance up at the power pack. If the advance got stuck and didn't return when you throttled back to stop and fish, it might have thrown the timing off enough to prevent it from starting.  :-\

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

dreamcatcher

I haven't seen anything mentioned about a...solenoid, or coil or anything like that. Could anything like those have an affect on not starting.
I don't know why it didn't keep cranking while trying to start . it would only turn so many times, then drop out.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: dreamcatcher on February 02, 2018, 07:32:12 PM
I haven't seen anything mentioned about a...solenoid, or coil or anything like that. Could anything like those have an affect on not starting.
I don't know why it didn't keep cranking while trying to start . it would only turn so many times, then drop out.

The dropping out does sound like the solenoid was failing after it got warm. You said spark was good and I believe that has a coil pack for each plug, so a failed coil would make it run rough but I wouldn't think it would kill it. Now a power pack would. It is possible something happened up there in the power pack.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

dreamcatcher

Princeton_man That's along the lines I was thinking. It has to be something electrical...getting hot or failing. I will have to start replacing some components I think. Man...I don't want to be stuck out on the lake 20 miles or more from someplace, or someone.  :help:
We were so lucky to get a tow that day.  ~c~   No other boats went by us !!!!  It could have been a night on the lake and hopefully someone could locate us. Cell phone service is very spotty.

coldfront

Quote from: dreamcatcher on February 04, 2018, 10:30:24 PM
Princeton_man That's along the lines I was thinking. It has to be something electrical...getting hot or failing. I will have to start replacing some components I think. Man...I don't want to be stuck out on the lake 20 miles or more from someplace, or someone.  :help:
We were so lucky to get a tow that day.  ~c~   No other boats went by us !!!!  It could have been a night on the lake and hopefully someone could locate us. Cell phone service is very spotty.

exactly the reason I spend $60/year for US Boat Tow services.

SteveTX

I know this may sound stupid but did you double check the neutral safety switch? I've had it happen where I had to move the throttle out and back in neutral to make sure it wasn't just not quite in the correct position. 

dreamcatcher

Quote from: SteveTX on February 05, 2018, 12:27:17 AM
I know this may sound stupid but did you double check the neutral safety switch? I've had it happen where I had to move the throttle out and back in neutral to make sure it wasn't just not quite in the correct position.

Yes I did. Thanks for suggesting something.

dreamcatcher

Well, running out of ideas. Friend of mine said that the engine might have got hot. I did not hear any alarms, water was coming out the pee hole good. He said I might have a worn impeller ...Been about 2 years since it was replaced, but I don't think this is the case. It's due for a new one anyway, so I will replace that.

SteveTX

Quote from: dreamcatcher on February 06, 2018, 06:31:13 PM
Well, running out of ideas. Friend of mine said that the engine might have got hot. I did not hear any alarms, water was coming out the pee hole good. He said I might have a worn impeller ...Been about 2 years since it was replaced, but I don't think this is the case. It's due for a new one anyway, so I will replace that.
Well ya got me. If and when you find the culprit please post back in case we have that issue.

dreamcatcher

Well...going to have to wait a couple of weeks before the mechanic gets to it. He thinks it's a rectifier, if not then he wants to ship the power pack out for testing. It might be going bad.

dreamcatcher

Boat and Motor is now in Lake Havasu City, AZ. She is at my favorite Mechanic...3 hour drive down there from Las Vegas,  ~roflmao  but he is good.
They will start taring down some of the components and testing them. SOOOOO   I will find out soon what was going on with my motor ~xyz $$$$$ ~b~ $$$$

merc1997

Quote from: dreamcatcher on February 01, 2018, 10:51:25 PM
Was out today on the Lake, and catching a few Bass. But the Evinrude was trying to ruin the day...
This is a good one.
Started out in the morning and everything was great. The motor started up with two cranks. Sounded great. We ran down the lake for about 15 miles and started fishing.  When we decided to move to another spot after an hour, the engine would not start. It kept turning over for a few seconds then drop out. Nothing. We tried a few things, checked the filters, gas supply etc etc. and couldn't figure out what was going on. We thought it might be electrical ??????  Fished for a while, then tried it again about 1/2 hour later. Same thing.
We flagged down a boat heading back to the Marina and was greatful for a tow almost to our destination. Started back on the trolling motor towards the Marina, We decided to try the big engine again, AND guess what ...it started right up. We fished for another couple of hours and moved often. Starting the engine numerous times without any problem 
??????????????? What happened.  Is there a coil that got hot or something and cooled down or  ~xyz   Any thoughts ?
Motor is an 1992 Evinrude 200XP
what do you mean by turning over a few seconds and then dropping out???  by that do you mean the engine quits turning over and then you hear a whizzing noice????  if so, you need to lube your starter drive.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

dreamcatcher

Quote from: merc1997 on February 12, 2018, 10:37:27 PM
what do you mean by turning over a few seconds and then dropping out???  by that do you mean the engine quits turning over and then you hear a whizzing noice????  if so, you need to lube your starter drive.

bo
Quote from: dreamcatcher on February 12, 2018, 09:16:58 PM
Boat and Motor is now in Lake Havasu City, AZ. She is at my favorite Mechanic...3 hour drive down there from Las Vegas,  ~roflmao  but he is good.
They will start taring down some of the components and testing them. SOOOOO   I will find out soon what was going on with my motor ~xyz $$$$$ ~b~ $$$$

Well the boat is back and I took it out for a spin. Let it run for a long  time and tried to recreate the problem. It seems fine now'''  ~c~
So they said i had a small hole in the rectifier...I saw it but I don't think that was the problem. I had a new rectifier, Power pack and solenoid installed. Not sure which one was causing problems , so I had them replace those items to be sure.  :-\ 

SteveTX

~c~ great news you can go fishing.  ~sun

Princeton_Man

Thanks for following up here. Glad you've got it back in dependability mode.  ~c~

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

dreamcatcher

Quote from: Princeton_Man on March 07, 2018, 01:41:59 PM
Thanks for following up here. Glad you've got it back in dependability mode.  ~c~

THANKS 

Oldfart9999

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.