Kast King

Started by Power fishing, February 02, 2018, 06:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

analfisherman

JUST TO BACK WHAT MR. PRO REEL SAID SO very well!!!!  ~c~

KastKing and Eposeidon Outdoor Adventure, Inc.     The creation, business philosophy and DEDICATION.
You may want to RETHINK your next Reel Purchase.  ;)

http://www.eposeidon.com/about-us

VERY GOOD POST PRO REEL!!!!!!!!!!!! ~c~

I actually did this research AFTER BO and I talked one afternoon.
He told me HOW IMPRESSED HE WAS with quality, build, and ease of use (he got the Reel for a person who was somewhat newer to fishing........OK,OK....a BEAUTIFULL YOUNG LADY NEWER TO FISHING.  ;) :)
So you all know me WELL.......I had to find out KASTKINGS story!!!
I was very IMPRESSED.......and when a man I have great RESPECT for and an ENGINEERING BACKGROUND tells me to check something out.......I LISTEN.......still have to do my own research  8) ;D

BUT LISTEN NONE THE LESS! lo

BO, PRO....THANK YOU!!!
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

JDV

Quote from: zippyduck on February 02, 2018, 11:51:50 PM
If I was going to start someone on a baitcaster it would be a Daiwa Tatula svtw. The most forgiving reel under $300.
With the right settings it is virtually backlash free.

More like, best reel under $125!  I think I paid $113 for mine.

JDV

Daiwa fuego for $67 or Daiwa Tatula CT for $88.  Don't buy the cheap stuff unless you are ok replacing it often.

Bretts_daddy

I really don't understand all the Kast King haters on this forum! Have you guys ever owned a Kast King or at least fished with one? If not than how can you accurately condemn them...just because they don't cost more? That's just plain silly as just because something costs more doesn't necessarily mean it's better than something that costs less. Now if you do own a Kast King and have had bad experiences with it than you have the right to be critical. I know several respected anglers on another forum who have Kast King reels and feel they are a phenomenal value for their price points and have had nothing but good things to say about them. They are not comparing them to the Curado's and Tatula's of the world, simply saying that you get a really solid reel for the money with many features usually found on more expensive reels. I guess what I'm saying is how can you automatically dismiss/condemn something if you haven't even tried it? Not everyone can afford high dollar reels so a Kast King might be their only option at a certain price point. From what I've heard Kast King has excellent customer service too so if an angler has a problem he/she will be taken care of. I don't as of yet own a Kast King reel but do plan on trying one out in the near future and I will reserve my judgement good or bad until I've had time to fish with it!
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

No matter how much we know about fishing there is always more to learn!

merc1997

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on March 04, 2018, 09:37:59 PM
I really don't understand all the Kast King haters on this forum! Have you guys ever owned a Kast King or at least fished with one? If not than how can you accurately condemn them...just because they don't cost more? That's just plain silly as just because something costs more doesn't necessarily mean it's better than something that costs less. Now if you do own a Kast King and have had bad experiences with it than you have the right to be critical. I know several respected anglers on another forum who have Kast King reels and feel they are a phenomenal value for their price points and have had nothing but good things to say about them. They are not comparing them to the Curado's and Tatula's of the world, simply saying that you get a really solid reel for the money with many features usually found on more expensive reels. I guess what I'm saying is how can you automatically dismiss/condemn something if you haven't even tried it? Not everyone can afford high dollar reels so a Kast King might be their only option at a certain price point. From what I've heard Kast King has excellent customer service too so if an angler has a problem he/she will be taken care of. I don't as of yet own a Kast King reel but do plan on trying one out in the near future and I will reserve my judgement good or bad until I've had time to fish with it!
i like mine so far.  they cast very well.  my wife threw a crank bait all afternoon on one, and never did get a back lash.  they are very smooth.  the drags are as smooth as butter.  i've caught several 4 lb. plus bass on them and no issues.  will let you know in a year how they have stood up to hard fishing.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

crankenstein

I also agree that it doesn't take a high dollar rod and reel to catch fish and have seriously debated on a Kast King. I think the issue on that other site is that before Kastking became a sponser of said forum, the mods in particular regarded them as "disposable tackle" and "it might be good to give to your kid". Any review on that forum I would take with a grain of salt and would seek out unbiased results elsewhere.  Like here and Amazon.

SFL BassHunter

After trying out the Piscifun Phantom I would be inclined to try a KastKing reel. If the Phantom holds up.
I suspect they are probably made by the same Chinese company and just rebranded.
Like Crankenstein I would take those kastking reviews with a grain of salt. Their hard push of the reels makes them a bias outlet for information. It's not to say it's wrong info.
Heck they may have changed their minds about them when they tried the reels.

If I find a reel that's 40-60 and works as well as one of my 150 dollar reels you better believe I'm going to be "upgrading" to that less expensive reel when the time comes for a new reel.

My previous statement on the pro qualifier has changed though. The new version seems to no longer go on sale for 50 dollars and it would be the only time I'd get one. Looks like they have raised the price on them and even at the classic price I wouldn't get one knowing I could get a Tatula CT for a similar price or even a Fuego CT for cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Roger_Aye

They are not comparing them to the Curado's and Tatula's of the world, simply saying that you get a really solid reel for the money with many features usually found on more expensive reels.

This is the #1 straw man re kastking/piscifun/favorite/whatever OEM junk parroted across fishing forums.

The Daiwa Fuego CT is 65 bucks shipped on the bay. The Tatula CT can be found for a few bucks more. Shimano has solid offerings in the sub 100 dollar range as well.

Kastking at least prices their reels accordingly (compared to some other OEM brands)...you probably won't find an equivalent reel for 38 bucks. But what you're ultimately paying for is a feature rich POS.

This video illustrates exactly what a previous poster mentioned --- all of these reels are the same internally:

https://youtu.be/H8BvpC3Ld18

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Roger_Aye on March 09, 2018, 09:15:16 AM
This is the #1 straw man re kastking/piscifun/favorite/whatever OEM junk parroted across fishing forums.

The Daiwa Fuego CT is 65 bucks shipped on the bay. The Tatula CT can be found for a few bucks more. Shimano has solid offerings in the sub 100 dollar range as well.

Kastking at least prices their reels accordingly (compared to some other OEM brands)...you probably won't find an equivalent reel for 38 bucks. But what you're ultimately paying for is a feature rich POS.

This video illustrates exactly what a previous poster mentioned --- all of these reels are the same internally:

https://youtu.be/H8BvpC3Ld18

There is a big difference between the Chinese reels like the KK, and a Korean OEM reel from Doyo. Just sayin.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Roger_Aye

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on March 09, 2018, 09:31:08 AM
There is a big difference between the Chinese reels like the KK, and a Korean OEM reel from Doyo. Just sayin.

Very true. I was referring to the Chinese OEMs, of which KK is actually a decent player considering their price point. Still junk, but fairly priced imo.

smithy97

I decided to try 2 this year, a Speed Demon and an Assassin. Initial impressions are that they are super smooth and comfortable to hold in my hands. I'm not a fan of the frames, but we'll see how they hold up over the next couple of seasons. 

merc1997

well, i am 5 months of hard use on a kast king, and it is still smooth as silk.  drag is still smooth as silk, and for the last month, i have been chunking a crank bait.  it throws a wart a mile with very little effort.

this reel has caught a few hundred bass and winches them in with ease.  i've caught a lot of jig fish with the reel and i set the hook hard, and i use braid, and no issues at all.

we will see after a year of hard use, just how it stacks up to use and abuse.  if the kast king will hold up for me, i would say it will do a good job for about anyone.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Bretts_daddy

Quote from: merc1997 on March 20, 2018, 12:07:09 AM
well, i am 5 months of hard use on a kast king, and it is still smooth as silk.  drag is still smooth as silk, and for the last month, i have been chunking a crank bait.  it throws a wart a mile with very little effort.

this reel has caught a few hundred bass and winches them in with ease.  i've caught a lot of jig fish with the reel and i set the hook hard, and i use braid, and no issues at all.

we will see after a year of hard use, just how it stacks up to use and abuse.  if the kast king will hold up for me, i would say it will do a good job for about anyone.

bo
What model do you have Bo?
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

No matter how much we know about fishing there is always more to learn!

merc1997

On Heaven's Lake

Oldfart9999

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on March 05, 2018, 06:16:03 AM
After trying out the Piscifun Phantom I would be inclined to try a KastKing reel. If the Phantom holds up.
I suspect they are probably made by the same Chinese company and just rebranded.
Like Crankenstein I would take those kastking reviews with a grain of salt. Their hard push of the reels makes them a bias outlet for information. It's not to say it's wrong info.
Heck they may have changed their minds about them when they tried the reels.

If I find a reel that's 40-60 and works as well as one of my 150 dollar reels you better believe I'm going to be "upgrading" to that less expensive reel when the time comes for a new reel.

My previous statement on the pro qualifier has changed though. The new version seems to no longer go on sale for 50 dollars and it would be the only time I'd get one. Looks like they have raised the price on them and even at the classic price I wouldn't get one knowing I could get a Tatula CT for a similar price or even a Fuego CT for cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time the PQ was at 50$ was when they were discontinued. The PQ2 is the same price but is lighter and smoother and has carbon brakes. It may not be the best at that price range but it's far from the worse, I just wish they offered different spools, I'd like more capacity for long casts.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on March 20, 2018, 03:00:40 PM
The only time the PQ was at 50$ was when they were discontinued. The PQ2 is the same price but is lighter and smoother and has carbon brakes. It may not be the best at that price range but it's far from the worse, I just wish they offered different spools, I'd like more capacity for long casts.
Rodney

I Bought my PQ 2 years ago or maybe a little more for 50 during a spring classic. They were nowhere near being discontinued at that point. 
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on March 20, 2018, 03:00:40 PM
Rodney

They do, its called the Titanium or something like that. Its that blue reel.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteveTX

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on March 20, 2018, 03:15:49 PM
Titanium 8 I had one and sold it. Its a decent reel.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on March 20, 2018, 03:15:49 PM

I think it's discontinued, it was something like 50$ more, 40 or 50, I wonder if the spools would change out or if they would with a Revo.

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on March 20, 2018, 03:04:17 PM
I Bought my PQ 2 years ago or maybe a little more for 50 during a spring classic. They were nowhere near being discontinued at that point. 

That must have been an introduction deal, I was thinking about the gen1. I think for the money the gen2 is a good reel.
Rodney

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on March 21, 2018, 07:35:04 AM
I think it's discontinued, it was something like 50$ more, 40 or 50, I wonder if the spools would change out or if they would with a Revo.

That must have been an introduction deal, I was thinking about the gen1. I think for the money the gen2 is a good reel.
Rodney

The Gen 1 is the PQ isn't it?

Gen 2 is the PQ 2?

I'm confused now.

I have a Pro Qualifier from 2 years ago maybe even 3. For a few years straight I'd see them go on sale for 49.99 during the spring classic. Then the PQ2 came out and the PQ went on sale again for 49.99 and then got discontinued for the new PQ2 which was something like 79.99 or 89.99 during the classic.
I'm sure the PQ2 got some good upgrades, I know it's a lighter reel. The PQ was a heavy reel at 8.8oz. The new one I can't remember if it's high 7's or 8oz exactly.

Anyways none of my babbling even matters, I am just trying to unconfused my brain. lol
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on March 21, 2018, 10:14:00 AM
The Gen 1 is the PQ isn't it?

Gen 2 is the PQ 2?

I'm confused now.

I have a Pro Qualifier from 2 years ago maybe even 3. For a few years straight I'd see them go on sale for 49.99 during the spring classic. Then the PQ2 came out and the PQ went on sale again for 49.99 and then got discontinued for the new PQ2 which was something like 79.99 or 89.99 during the classic.
I'm sure the PQ2 got some good upgrades, I know it's a lighter reel. The PQ was a heavy reel at 8.8oz. The new one I can't remember if it's high 7's or 8oz exactly.

Anyways none of my babbling even matters, I am just trying to unconfused my brain. lol

Now ya done it,  ~b~

Oldfart9999

I be sorry! :fishy
Bad Oldfart

IKfish

As far as I know, some of the high priced big brand reels or rods are made in china, probably the same OEM who makes the cheap ones. When it comes to big name companies, you pay more for the addition value instead of the product itself. Do you really think that a $500 reel will really be worth it? Or you just pay much for something else. Remember new products to the market are beyond cheap till they get a foot in the market. Then they will raise the cost little by little once they can. What's new and cheap today will be expensive tomorrow.
Choose the one that fits your budget. Feel it yourself and see whether it's great or not. ~beer~

Antrigen

I agree a lot with what ProReel said. If you go to Aliexpress, the Asian Amazon, you can see many examples of the same reel being branded by many different vendors. Some suppliers will put your "brand" on it for orders of 500 units or more. I bought a Kast King Summer spinning reel off Amazon for $19.95 that is just as smooth as my Pflueger President reel and is a tad lighter. Will it last as long as a Plueger? I doubt it but I also doubt that the Plueger will last 2 or 3 times longer. Imo the most important thing about buying a reel is that its one you like and have confidence in.

D.W. Verts

Welll... After readin' all this hoo-rah I went an ordered one, and it came in today. Extremely fast shipping.

I got one of the white ones that's like 5.3:1... I figure that I'll put it on a big crankin' stick meant for DD-22's and such, where it WILL get a workout. But that'll be later on in the summer so a performance review will have to wait.

I've used my old round reels for so many years, and they've performed almost perfectly. But I decided to save a little weight and use some low profile "modern" reels for things like the big cranks, and maybe on my jerkbait rods. They way I fish jerkbaits is hard on a man, so a little saving in weight may help me out. We'll see.

As far as out-of-the-box, this thing is pretty okay (which really doesn't mean much). But it's light (not ultra-lite, but again when compared to my 4600's it's pretty nice), and man is it SMOOOTH. I mean, like really SMOOOOOOOTTTHHHH. Wowee, it's effortless to turn the handle. Never seen anything like it.

11+1 ball bearings. Hmmm. Try to figure where they PUT them all, and in my opinion the ball-bearing race got out of hand. But maybe that's why it's so SMOOOTH...

Anyway, the HATE and LOVE war about these reals made me buy it 'cuz I gots to know. I paid $28 for it on eBay with a 20% discount applied. Pretty cheap experiment anyway, and since I don't have a dog in the fight as I own no modern Diawas or Shimanos (just the one Pro Max) I reckon I can give a pretty fair shake down on this thing. And if it don't work at least fair (I know it's not their top of the line reel, but KK brags on it to be great) I'll say so, and then I'll chunk it with nothing really lost.

We'll see.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff