Kast King

Started by Power fishing, February 02, 2018, 06:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Power fishing

I was watching some reviews about the Kastking reels, not sure how accurate reviews are on YouTube. They were comparing against Shimano curados an Abu Garcia I forget what model. Wondering if anyone has tried one. $35 for a Kastking legend royale. Might be something to think about for the man on a budget. Definitely like to hear from someone. Thinking for my sons to get them started on baitcast reels

Ddyyak

I own several. If you don't have much in terms of funds they work well for a $35 reel. With that said I have 2 tatula sv's and I get to spent much more time fishing instead of clearing backlashs as compared to using the last king. No comparison to curado, so that's just dumb. I'd save up an additional $50 and get a 99$ lews or fuego

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveTX

Personally I wouldn't consider one. They did a huge push giving reels and stuff away from my understanding to get them out there. Most anyone I know that has any other reel besides the KK uses it and the KK sits.

You can pick up a decent aluminum framed Lews or some of the others for under $100 if you shop.

If you want a cheap reel with a pretty reputable history from a name brand these Abu Garcia Silver Max Low Profile reels are on sale at Monster Tackle for $49.99 and the Black Max is a decent inexpensive option as well. I know quite a few that have fished these for years. 

Not to mention Monster Tackle is a sponsor that helps keep the lights on.  ;D

DonM

One of the best reels ever for the money is Bass Pro's Pro Qualifier.  I've bought a couple on sale for $50. before.  Right now the PQ2 is on sale for $69.  Great reel!
DonM

Justin62882

Abu garcia silver maxx for 50 i think is a good deal.
Fishing Is not an escape  from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.

zippyduck

If I was going to start someone on a baitcaster it would be a Daiwa Tatula svtw. The most forgiving reel under $300.
With the right settings it is virtually backlash free.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Justin62882

Quote from: zippyduck on February 02, 2018, 11:51:50 PM
If I was going to start someone on a baitcaster it would be a Daiwa Tatula svtw. The most forgiving reel under $300.
With the right settings it is virtually backlash free.
I havent used many baitcasters but I got 2 silver maxx I can cast a mile and not even thumb the spool when It hits water. Hasn't backlashed yet.
Fishing Is not an escape  from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.

ItsJason

I tried one and wasn't that impressed. Yes they have a ton of "pro"staff out there flooding the internet.
The best budget reels I've tried so far are Piscifun.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

cport

Quote from: DonM on February 02, 2018, 11:02:31 PM
One of the best reels ever for the money is Bass Pro's Pro Qualifier.  I've bought a couple on sale for $50. before.  Right now the PQ2 is on sale for $69.  Great reel!
I concur, I like mine, very durable.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

LgMouthGambler

Get a hammer. Now, smack yourself in the forehead with it. Dont think about this again.  lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteveTX

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on February 03, 2018, 06:30:11 AM
Get a hammer. Now, smack yourself in the forehead with it. Dont think about this again.  lo
You said that so elequent.  ;) I like your thinking too.

SFL BassHunter

I would also go with a Pro Qualifier over a KastKing any day of the week. A few bucks more and you will have a very good reel for the money.

The Tatula SV is probably the easiest baitcaster under 200 to learn with. It really is hard to backlash. It can happen, but rarely.
Never used the KastKing, but I've used enough reels that aren't made of aluminum frame and I always find myself hating the fact that they flex. I can not stand that feeling when reeling in a big fish.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

merc1997

Quote from: Power fishing on February 02, 2018, 06:25:57 PM
I was watching some reviews about the Kastking reels, not sure how accurate reviews are on YouTube. They were comparing against Shimano curados an Abu Garcia I forget what model. Wondering if anyone has tried one. $35 for a Kastking legend royale. Might be something to think about for the man on a budget. Definitely like to hear from someone. Thinking for my sons to get them started on baitcast reels
i bought one to see what they were all about, and they are a darn good reel.  throw a mile, smooth as butter, and the drag is smooth a butter also.  a friend of mine that has a $400 shimano and a couple of $180.00 lews tried it, and had me order him a couple, because it preformed better than his high dollar reel.  i bought three more of them myself.  i tore the first one completely apart to see if it was junk inside, but it has brass gears, good bearings and springs.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

mikebass22

Not sure about there baitcasters but there spinning reals aren't very good, I would stay away, you just never know with a new company until they are proven.

merc1997

Quote from: mikebass22 on February 12, 2018, 06:08:08 PM
Not sure about there baitcasters but there spinning reals aren't very good, I would stay away, you just never know with a new company until they are proven.
someone always has to be a guinea pig.  right?

bo
On Heaven's Lake

LgMouthGambler

They'll work, but they are budget pieces. Tolerance and longevity are not the key points.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Oldfart9999

Being a PQ fan I'll stay out of this one, especially since I don't own a KK.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

cport

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on February 13, 2018, 07:15:21 AM
Being a PQ fan I'll stay out of this one, especially since I don't own a KK.
Rodney
I own both, fished the KK Royale or whatever its called until I got my PQ. Haven't touched it since I got that and my two Shimanos.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: cport on February 13, 2018, 07:55:20 AM
I own both, fished the KK Royale or whatever its called until I got my PQ. Haven't touched it since I got that and my two Shimanos.

Is that because you don't want to be seen using a KK or because the PQ, and Shimanos were that much better?
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

cport

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on February 13, 2018, 08:23:16 AM
Is that because you don't want to be seen using a KK or because the PQ, and Shimanos were that much better?
The latter. If something works, I don't care what others think.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Lipripper

Quote from: cport on February 13, 2018, 08:25:57 AM
The latter. If something works, I don't care what others think.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Me either if it works for me it works. I haven't owned a KK so I won't make any judgement on it other than to go by what my fellow UBers who have used one say and after reading everything I don't think I would get a KK.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

SFL BassHunter

With anything there is a mixed bag of reviews on these things. Some folks like them, others not so much lol.
Florida Bass Fishing

MarkusBett18

I own 3 of KK reels, for the price some of them are very nice.
><(((º>        <º)))><

IKfish

Quote from: MarkusBett18 on February 27, 2018, 03:42:37 PM
I own 3 of KK reels, for the price some of them are very nice.

I haven't used kk reels before. But i was sent a reel for field test from a new brand Runcl. I didn't expect much on this 30$ budget fishing reel at first. Actually when it comes, it's very smooth and seems to be well made. The only thing I would complain on it is the movable handle which adds a little bit more play to it, I never need to fold the handle down. Other than that it is a fantastic reel. Excellent for the price.
So if you guys have good comments on kk reels. I'd buy and try it out.  lo

Pro Reel

You guys are going to start seeing a lot more of these and other similar reels under other names. What you don't understand is that for the most part they are all the same reels. Shimano and daiwa and Okuma are the only big name brands that still own manufacturing plants and build their own reels with their own employees. All other well known brands are just companies that have  corporate offices and warehouses. Those other brands, and I won't or shouldn't need to list the names, buy prebuilt reels from large fishing tackle manufacturing wholesalers in Korea and China. These oversees companies have their own design engineers and own the patents for the parts designs of all the other brands not listed. Companies that sell reels either just pick designs and components from the oversees companies website and catalogues and then submit their own logo and packaging requirements. The reels get built then shipped here where they are then sold as your favorite brand. Another way to do it is to work with their design teem to have them build a new version of a reel or component that you have an idea for, such as large paddle handle knobs that look similar to the reels from a long time ago by the company you bought the name of. Now, to get to the point, Kast King reels are coming directly from these oversees companies, so are piscifun reels. If you open up any of the reels that I don't have listed above, and then compare them to any other of these new brands you will see that most of the parts are identical and will swap back and forth from one brand to another as long as it's the same frame platform. the key to buying a decent and durable reel now is to just avoid the bottom levels of any brand name, unless that's all you can afford, with casting reels try to at least get the reels that have aluminum frames. Poly frame reels will flex and parts will get out of alignment. That means that a reel that felt smooth as silk when new can get grindy in a short time period.