Point one GPS

Started by 7TCU, February 03, 2018, 08:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7TCU

Any recommendations where to mount? Bow stern or helm?  I am thinking about mounting near the helm would have the least interference

68camaro

If your talking about the Lowrance Point-1 GPS, I was told by Wilson Frazier (sonargpsuniversity.com) who was Lowrance Tech Dir for long time best place is above transducer, this will give you greatest accuracy in location. Even better would be to have two Point-1 units so they average together for better accuracy.

I haven't got one yet but plan to.
Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass

analfisherman

Wilson knows his stuff!  ~c~

I did all four of his 4 disk training CDs.
AND I USE HUMINGBIRDS.  lo

Talked with him numerous times before and after I got the disks.
Great guy!

For those who don't know the name.....he came up with 'Braid Aid' line conditioner too.
He has some other products I use too.

You may think you know your electronics.......you just be amazed what you don't?
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

fishandkamp

His "homework is eye opening isn't. Things that you think you know where they are by looking at your screen just aren't always where you think they are.
His exercise to drive by a bridge abutment and see how far you travel till it shows up was interesting.
I have his cd set too.

analfisherman

I don't want to Hijack but it amazes me how folks will pay thousands of dollars for a sonar......and won't pay a hundred to learn how to use it?
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

THfishing

I mounted my Point-1 at the bow. People said the magnets in the trolling motor would interfere with the antenna which I didn't have any problems. I like the antenna mounted at the bow because that's the most common area that will be moving left and right. It makes fishing waypoints easier because you can stay inline to make the right cast. Having the antenna at the bow will also position the antenna right above the trolling motor transducer.   

7TCU

It looks like I will put one at the stern for marking way points under power at the stern and down the road add a second at the bow for offshore fishing on the trolling motor. Now I have to get out and set things up learn the new system and then look for some further instruction and training.

Mike Cork

Please keep us posted on how it works for you, everything from installation to use. I'm very interested in getting this myself.  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

coldfront

Quote from: THfishing on February 05, 2018, 01:52:01 PM
I mounted my Point-1 at the bow. People said the magnets in the trolling motor would interfere with the antenna which I didn't have any problems. I like the antenna mounted at the bow because that's the most common area that will be moving left and right. It makes fishing waypoints easier because you can stay inline to make the right cast. Having the antenna at the bow will also position the antenna right above the trolling motor transducer.

my Point-1 is on the stern, above my transom 'ducer.  this allows me to accurately identify, mark key issues out to the side, below and have them transferred up to the bow.

My bow unit, which is places within 18 inches of my bow 'ducer is accurate enough to get me on spots at that point.

different way of approaching it I guess

Mike Cork

Since I want to cast at the waypoint it seems to make sense to me that I put it above the unit I do the most waypoint marking with. This way the point is accurate and as I approach with the trolling motor I can cast to it before I'm on top of it.  :-\

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

coldfront

Quote from: Mike Cork on February 12, 2018, 12:15:03 PM
Since I want to cast at the waypoint it seems to make sense to me that I put it above the unit I do the most waypoint marking with. This way the point is accurate and as I approach with the trolling motor I can cast to it before I'm on top of it.  :-\

Mike, the other key is where your sonar unit is in relation to your bow transducer.

if the sonar unit is not further away than the point-1, not sure you gain significantly by the add.

I use the internal antenna on my bow sonar, which like I said, is within 18 inches of vertical on the 'ducer.

My transom 'ducer is about 8 feet away from my console unit.  the use of an auxillary antennae and the gains it gives me on accuracy are way different when contrasting the two set ups.

if I only had one point-1, I would personally go with a stern location.

the other key is this:  IF you locate those key points by cruising and scanning at the console, that's where I think the key need for accuracy goes WAY up.  Optimized/improved accuracy at this point drives improved accuracy at the bow.

transferring those WP's to the bow unit, which should be positioning based of it's own internal antenna still put you right where you want to be.

the other key in how I use my electronics?  my unit maps are always 'north up'  I always know exactly where I am in relation to the point of interest.  for a slow guy like me, it seems much 'more simpler'.

Wayne P.

The proper use of the compass in the Point1 is to stabilize the GPS AND indicate the direction the bow is pointed. Using the Head Up setting, the map will be oriented to the direction the bow is pointed.
Don't have to have the position icon pointed in various directions on the Chart View.
You can even be "slower".
Humminbird SOLIX 12 SI, SOLIX 12 SI G3, SOLIX 10 SI G3, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G3N, Helix 12 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 10 CHIRP DI+ GPS G3N, Helix 8 CHIRP SI+ GPS G4N, Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL

coldfront

Quote from: Wayne P. on February 12, 2018, 05:11:22 PM
You can even be "slower".

you're not the first to say that.   :)

THfishing