BPS Pro Qualifier bearing replacement

Started by phred, February 11, 2018, 01:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phred

Has anyone replaced or upgraded the bearings on a BPS Pro Qualifier? I have no clue how to or which size to buy. HELP

Thanks,
Scott
Want to help returning vets? Check out the site.

www.armybassanglers.com/returningheroeshome/

Mike Cork

I'll have to look but I think there are three total bearings on the spool shaft. Each is a different size. I've got one here in the office and I'll measure them....

If I don't post back soon, shoot me a measage

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

What is it that you are trying to accomplish with replacing them? A good flush and lube can do wonders. 3x8x4 and a 5x11x4 are the spool bearing sizes for it.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike Cork

LGM, doesn't this reel have a bearing on the spool?

Cork's Reel Service

cbburke

Yes it does have a bearing at the spool -

Just took it a part for fun. It became a struggle for me to put it back together :)
Lesson learned.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

phred

Is the lesson not to take it off the spool?

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Mike Cork on February 11, 2018, 03:29:25 PM
LGM, doesn't this reel have a bearing on the spool?
Yes. The 3x8 is on the sideplate, the 5x11 is on the spool. There is one under the spool tension cap, but that has nothing to do with the casting of the spool in a sense, it's more of a "load" bearing.

<")))>{
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Oldfart9999

They make a nifty tool to remove that bearing, it's easy to do. Matt can tell you where to get one, being old I forgot where I got mine. As Matt said, cleaning and relubing with a good lube makes a big difference in the performance of the reel.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Pro Reel

Every PQ I have done has had a 3x10x4 in side plate and under tension cap. As stated the tension cap bearing is only for spool shaft stability and doesn't turn during the cast. The other spool bearing is on the shaft behind a pin and it's a 5x11x4.

Mike Cork

Palm side plate is the 3x10x4 Spool shaft 3x10x4 and the handle side or under the tension cap 3x10x4.

You can order new ones from BPS or look them up on BOCA I'm not sure what kind of up grade you're looking for.

As far as the bearing under the caps worthiness, well I've got reels in the shop that this bearing was completely seized from rust and casting was only mildly hampered if at all.

Cork's Reel Service

phred

Thanks for the help, I'm going to clean one set and get a shaft pin pliers from Boca or TW.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: phred on February 12, 2018, 03:29:24 PM
Thanks for the help, I'm going to clean one set and get a shaft pin pliers from Boca or TW.

PM sent

phred