Boat Rehab coming together

Started by Bud Kennedy, February 13, 2018, 03:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

All the details are finished with having a new boat trailer built.  Final stuff agreed to today with regards to installing the boat onto the new trailer and the builder has agreed to scrap my old trailer for me.  So, all I gotta do is drag the boat down there in about two more weeks and get this all done.

Made all the arrangements today to also have the Ranger re-carpeted and have a recessed trolling motor pedal tray installed at the same time.  I am providing the tray and willard is doing the work. 

Future plans include having the boat wet sanded and and polished to rehab the old gel coat.  All this is something we have been wanting to get done for a long time and it is exciting to finally make the arrangements to make it so.

Lipripper

Good for you Bud give the old girl a new look. ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Donald Garner

Good for you on getting the boat refitted  ~c~  Make sure you take some before and after pictures ;)  You know us we got to have pictures  lo
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Smallie_Stalker

It's like getting a whole new boat without having to take out a new mortgage on your house to afford it.  ~c~
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bud Kennedy

You know how us old guys roll.  We don't do loans, mortgages or payments.  I just hope I get to fish enough years to make it pay off.   lo.   OH yeah, this probably explains why I have a 27 year old boat, a 13 year old car and a 11 year old truck.  We are living in an old house with an old wife and an old dog.

Lipripper

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on February 13, 2018, 06:57:19 PM
You know how us old guys roll.  We don't do loans, mortgages or payments.  I just hope I get to fish enough years to make it pay off.   lo.   OH yeah, this probably explains why I have a 27 year old boat, a 13 year old car and a 11 year old truck.  We are living in an old house with an old wife and an old dog.
They don't make em like they use too. Nothing last that long anymore. ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: Donald Garner on February 13, 2018, 06:24:13 PM
Good for you on getting the boat refitted  ~c~  Make sure you take some before and after pictures ;)  You know us we got to have pictures  lo

I plan on having the boat here tomorrow.  I will take a bunch of before pictures and save them until I can take the after pictures so you can compare.  It was too cold today and it is supposed to be warm and dry the rest of the week.

Oldfart9999

Gee Bud, it' might be too purty to use!!! lo lo I'm sure she'll be really nice when you're done!!!  ~c~ ~c~
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

mygreenihc

Bud Kennedy,

Have you ever had a boat with a recessed trolling motor tray?  You will like it a lot,  but you need to consider some things about placement.  Rangers are known for their big front deck,  but with yours being older this may not be as big of an issue as it is with the newer bigger boats.  The bigger the front deck the more this becomes a potential issue.

My Blazer has a recessed tray and it was placed for the previous owner who happened to have legs three foot longer than mine apparently,  because I cannot reach my tray while on my bike seat.  It is great for standing up,  but I can't use it sitting down because it is too far away. 

I assume that with your age (no insult intended) that you would do more fishing from a pedestal seat,  so it might be in your best interest to show him where you want it mounted.  If you stand a lot,  you don't want it right by your seat,  but if you sit most of the time,  you will want it within reach.  Basically,  what I am trying to say is that you should make sure you fit yourself for the boat so that it is in a comfortable position while you are fishing.  The whole point is to reduce fatigue.

Brad

Bud Kennedy

Not a whole lot of room on my front deck.  These older boats tended to be a bit more "pointy" in the front.  I placed the tray in position yesterday just to examine where it would go and I gotta tell you not a whole lot of options.  Basically it will be a dead center in alignment with the pedestal seat.  I got a couple of inches of fudge factor but will be easy to run while seated.  Because of the limited space, I usually stand a bit to the side anyway.  Currently I only run the troller from a seated position.  My old body does not have the balance it used to have so standing and trying to run the pedal is very uncomfortable for me.  Perhaps when it is recessed it will be a bit easier. 

As you know I am not a drinker and often laugh that if I ever got pulled over for a  dui check, I doubt I could pass.  I could walk the line but not that stand on one foot thing...LOL   

I have always wanted the recessed tray but just could not bring myself to cut the deck.  I am pleased the carpet guy has agreed to do it.  I know there is a support structure under the deck but all should be ok for the pan.

Skunked again

I put a recessed tray in a couple years ago, it's hands down , the best thing I've done.
Happily married. Two kids. Two dogs.

mygreenihc

Bud, 

You will like the tray once it is installed.  It will be much more comfortable standing when one foot is not elevated. 

You need top post pictures of all this upgrading that you are doing.

Brad

Bud Kennedy

I will post pics when possible.  The trailer builder promises to send some pics as the build progresses and that should be very cool.  The carpet and tray will just have to be a before and after deal.  I did post some before pics of the carpet and also one of the trailer.  I guess I will be covering a lot of miles making this happen.  The trailer builder is 100 miles south of here and the carpet guy is 100 miles north of here.  At least the detail guy for the rehab of my gelcoat is close by.