20.6% Property Tax Increase. Time to Relocate

Started by Pacific NW Ron, February 13, 2018, 08:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific NW Ron

Just received a notice that our property tax is taking a 20.6% increase for this years taxes, plus they lowered the maximum income to qualify for tax exempt.  We qualified for tax exempt for last year and would of with the old income level but now it looks like we'll have to pay, and on top of that I don't think we can deduct it next year because of the new tax act.   ~xyz ^-^ ~beer~ ~beer~ ~beer~
Maybe it's time to relocate?  Any of you getting property tax relief for being old and on fixed income?
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Bud Kennedy

Ron, I was under the impression that the new tax act was amended to still allow a fairly significant number that could be claimed on your federal for state and local taxes.   Most are not really affected here in SC since our property values and tax obligations are still quite low by the standards experienced in Blue states like yours.  I of course have no idea of the value of your property but I see the west coast cities are quite high priced.  My property tax bill this year was just over $400 for the year and had personal Property taxes of just under $400 for the year.  Granted we live in the cheap seats but it suits our retirement budget just fine.  There of course is some resort style properties located near Charleston and a few near Greenville that are very high end but certainly not for a typical retirement income.

Champriderz

Our property taxes and assessment seem to go up every year.  I live about thirty miles from the Alabama border which has much lower property taxes plus the insurance rates are almost half ours because we have to subsidize insurance for people who insist on building as close to the Gulf and Atlantic a possible.  If it weren't for my wife I would have already moved.

analfisherman

a new $10,000 limit on deductions for state and local taxes will take effect in 2018. That $10,000 limit combines both local property and income taxes,

So a little depends on whether you are still in a taxable income situation?????

Trust me WISCONSIN is no Tax Haven!  :(

$120,000-$140,000 home/lot.......$2800 dollar property tax bill
add
$120 dollar a month 'waste water disposal fee'.....that's not WATER BILL.....THATS A SEWER BILL.

That's $353 a month for a bought and paid for 100+ year old home.
Add State Taxable Income to the equation..... :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

caddyjoe77

Quote from: analfisherman on February 13, 2018, 09:35:03 PM
a new $10,000 limit on deductions for state and local taxes will take effect in 2018. That $10,000 limit combines both local property and income taxes,

So a little depends on whether you are still in a taxable income situation?????

Trust me WISCONSIN is no Tax Haven!  :(

$120,000-$140,000 home/lot.......$2800 dollar property tax bill
add
$120 dollar a month 'waste water disposal fee'.....that's not WATER BILL.....THATS A SEWER BILL.

That's $353 a month for a bought and paid for 100+ year old home.
Add State Taxable Income to the equation..... :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

Illinois is worse I think.  Seems like the midwest is going the way of the west as far as tax bills. 

one of these days I am moving south....
BeerMe

Oldfart9999

Sissies, you should live here, the highest taxed State in the Union. 90% of Upstate New Yorkers won't be hurt by the new feds tax plan. The Governor is whining and crying blaming the feds for going after the New York economy because the wealthy that will be hurt by the new law are his biggest supporters. We have embedded in the State Constitution that the budget HAS to be balanced, on paper 4.4 billion deficit last year and more proposed spending this year without raising taxes and with businesses and people leaving. Our wonderful Governor spent over 8 million on signs for the thruway, a federal road, federal DOT says you can't put those signs up, it's a safety thing, Cuomo refuses to take them down, the state is fined 14 million and we the taxpayer are on the hook for it.
I wish my wife wanted to move and we could afford to. ~xyz ~rant ~xyz ~rant ~xyz ~rant ~xyz ~rant ~xyz ~rant
Rodney   
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Lee Smith

Come to Mississippi!  You may have to live in a camper, but, it's cheap!  ;D  ~roflmao
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

basss

Uggghhh taxes !!!!!  Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em ...
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

Wizard

I believe we are the highest taxed country in the world. By the time you add all taxes together including sales tax, it is an incredible percentage of your income. I had a school tax increase so the high school could build a pool and have a water polo team. It is sport specific and that will be it's only use. When I was young, we had a gymnasium and you had to buy your own "Chuckies". And we were in better shape than today's children.

Wizard

Jared LeBlue

Well if you can put up with the heat, humidity, and mosquitoes then come on down to Louisiana. Sales tax is 10% or better depending on where you are but the property tax is pretty low.
Ardent Prostaff

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: Lee Smith on February 14, 2018, 07:22:20 AM
Come to Mississippi!  You may have to live in a camper, but, it's cheap!  ;D  ~roflmao
Man, all I need's a job and I'd be back home in a heartbeat.
Quote from: Jared LeBlue on February 14, 2018, 09:12:13 AM
Well if you can put up with the heat, humidity, and mosquitoes then come on down to Louisiana. Sales tax is 10% or better depending on where you are but the property tax is pretty low.
As a transplant from the Sipp, just the car insurance rates alone is enough for me to go back across the river. My rates more than doubled when I moved here. NOT fun at all, moving in the middle of a divorce, taking a lower income, and just your liability insurance on an old clunker going from $35 per month to $90 per month.
Full coverage on my car is $120 per month. My agent told me it'd be about $60 if I moved back home.

SteelHorseCowboy

MS also has constitutional carry now too. I like that. I think it's BS I have to ask permission and pay the state for that permission to carry a gun concealed. Criminals don't.

jocko

New Jersey was rough.  My taxes on my house were $13,000.00  a year (1000.+ added to my principle interest and insurance)  and NJ has state income tax too which sucked.  Talk about going broke.  We were going in the hole every minute we stayed. 

My Brother in Law lived in New Hampshire and his taxes were high too - not as bad -but they had NO state income tax which is a bonus.   I think states like FL / PA / TN and others have no state income tax,  so I can understand why the real estate tax is high. 

NJ has the claim for the most ridiculous high taxes. 

Moved to Georgia,  and saved $7000.00 immediately.  GA Still has state income taxes tough.  When I retire,  I plan to move to a state without state income taxes, and hopefully get a break on my real estate taxes due to age / fixed income?  Savings alone should afford me a nice used bass boat - I deserve!

Lipripper

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Pacific NW Ron

Thanks for all the replies.  About the cheapest place I've lived as far as housing costs was Arkansas.  Homes and property tax were cheap but then they added income tax and personal property tax which then it wasn't so cheap anymore.  We really like AR and have considered moving back there but at our age unless there is a big savings we're not moving. 
Sounds like there may be a few places a little cheaper cost of living but also a few that are higher. 
After we get our taxes done and have a conversation with our CPA about how we will be for next year we'll have a better idea if we stay or go.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Captsteve

Texas lowers property tax a great deal at age 65

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

tooboocoo

Quote from: Pacific NW Ron on February 13, 2018, 08:18:10 PM
Just received a notice that our property tax is taking a 20.6% increase for this years taxes, plus they lowered the maximum income to qualify for tax exempt.  We qualified for tax exempt for last year and would of with the old income level but now it looks like we'll have to pay, and on top of that I don't think we can deduct it next year because of the new tax act.   ~xyz ^-^ ~beer~ ~beer~ ~beer~
Maybe it's time to relocate?  Any of you getting property tax relief for being old and on fixed income?
And that is why Kent's school levies failed yesterday.  Suffer the children.   :help:

Oldfart9999

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on February 14, 2018, 10:09:06 AM
MS also has constitutional carry now too. I like that. I think it's BS I have to ask permission and pay the state for that permission to carry a gun concealed. Criminals don't.

You need a lawyer to help you get a concealed carry here and renew it every 5 years.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Wizard

Ron, the taxes may be higher than you want but you live in a great area. If the crime rate is low and you have the things you need and want, I'd trade you places. You could be living in the state of Misery(Missouri) where the tax is high, crime rate high and lots of schools well below the national average. If you are retired or poor, Missouri isn't a place to move. Our Governor this year took away medicaid, food aid, tax abatement, everything the elderly or poor need to live.
The wife and I are really considering moving to Costa Rica. A large group of retired agency people have a compound in a beautiful area. The cost of living is low. You can live like a King on your pension. Plus, you don't have to worry about crime living in large compound of agency boogymen.

Wizard

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: tooboocoo on February 14, 2018, 02:52:14 PM
And that is why Kent's school levies failed yesterday.  Suffer the children.   :help:

They seem to think if they over spend or waste money more taxes will fix the money shortage but many times it does more harm than good.  I heard the feds are talking another $0.20 nationwide gas tax too. 

Quote from: Wizard on February 15, 2018, 07:08:40 AM
Ron, the taxes may be higher than you want but you live in a great area. If the crime rate is low and you have the things you need and want, I'd trade you places. You could be living in the state of Misery(Missouri) where the tax is high, crime rate high and lots of schools well below the national average. If you are retired or poor, Missouri isn't a place to move. Our Governor this year took away medicaid, food aid, tax abatement, everything the elderly or poor need to live.
The wife and I are really considering moving to Costa Rica. A large group of retired agency people have a compound in a beautiful area. The cost of living is low. You can live like a King on your pension. Plus, you don't have to worry about crime living in large compound of agency boogymen.

Wizard

Yes you're right.  I live in a pretty area and like it.  Everything I have is paid for and everything we need is within 10 miles. 
Occasionally over the last year we have looked at other country's to move to.  I have some friends in Costa Rica.  That would definitely be one to consider.

creekbasser

Michigan doesn't have awful property taxes but honestly it mostly matters where you live in Michigan

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk