New Top of the Line Dobyns Rod

Started by Mike Cork, February 14, 2018, 02:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zippyduck

I have to go with what works in my other rods.

754c
755c
723sf

Those three rods would cover most of my bottom contact applications.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Down4ttown

Just one finesse casting rod is all I need....☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bucketmouth 87

The champion line is about the most I want to spend on a rod but I would go with the following. 

723sf
754C
755C

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

bassmanstan

I'm using Tapatalk so I can't see the poll if there is one, but if I had to pick 3 it would be:
684 for skipping
734 for an all around, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and so on
And a 735 frog rod also could be used for punching and heavier stuff

I'll be very interested to see what he comes up with, however I don't know if I'll be able to fork over what's needed for that caliber of rod.

SteveTX

Id be interested but not positive I would purchase as I never have spent major $ on a rod.

I voted for these because they cover 80% of what I fish with:
753c - Flukes / Horny Toads / Jigs / Spinnerbaits / Spooks

754c - Horny Toads / Buzzbaits / Jigs / Senkos / Spinnerbaits

755c - Heavy Jigs / Frogs / Pitchin'

analfisherman

OK.....ANAL TIME!   ;D 8)

To start, if you've never 'Finesse Fished' (Ned Rigs, Drop Shot etc.) with a High End Premium Spinning Rod.........you have NO IDEA WHAT YOUR MISSING OUT ON.....not just FUN but probably fish too.

So,
722SF
723SF

I use high speed Spinning Reels;
2   GoldSpins a  TL 3000H 6.1:1  36IPT  and a TL 2000 6.2:1  34IPT
and a couple of Rocket Spins
1  REVO2RCKT20    7.0:1   37IPT
1  REVO2RCKT30    7.0:1   40IPT

I could maybe/probably be talked into/convinced to trade up 'either' for 75s......BUT
But I have been advised/told that the real advantage to going 7'5" and above usually lies in casting distance.......and I an a habitual LONG CASTER and have NO challenge matching distances of my buddies who use 7'6"s and up and feel I have better accuracy with my 7s and 7'2"s.

The other minor advantage to length is line recovery rate.....reels deal with that for me.
BUT I have a 7'6" 2 weight   Custom being made.
This was a rod I didn't need 'per say' but I JUST HAD TO TRY A 7'6"......and I LOVE DRIVING THE GUY WHO MAKES MY RODS CRAZY!  ;) lo

So final is a 754c.....for FROGGIN and FLIPPING.

Gary THANK YOU for all you bring to the SITE and the INCREASED JOY your fine rods bring anyone who has had the PRIVLEDGE to handle and fish your fine CRAFTSMANSHIP!
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

pbandjabame

724, 754, and 755. Been liking longer rods lately, and these would cover the majority of my favorite techniques.

Love my 806 fury and 867 champion xp, will be trying some of the Dobyn's traditional tackle rods in the very near future.

Princeton_Man

I chose 723C, 753C, 754C and ultimately my next top shelf rod will probably be the 753.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

cport

I voted what I need for casting, a 723C, and 722SF and 723SF for spinning. I love using my spinning gear for flukes.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: bassmanstan on February 14, 2018, 09:13:29 PM
I'm using Tapatalk so I can't see the poll if there is one, but if I had to pick 3 it would be:
684 for skipping
734 for an all around, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and so on
And a 735 frog rod also could be used for punching and heavier stuff

I'll be very interested to see what he comes up with, however I don't know if I'll be able to fork over what's needed for that caliber of rod.

You could always use a browser on your phone to open the site and see the poll if you want.  :-*
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

bobsquatch13

Not sure if I could make myself buy any spinning rod, and they are by far my favorite, under a 4 power with the 5 power preferred easily. But no 754SF or 755SF shown so picked below as could use the lower power spinning the rare time I fish lakes, but for Calif. Delta only 4 & 5 power rods for me. The 755C casting was an easy choice. Also love the 7 1/2' size rods and only have one shorter and its a 7' 3" casting, others are all 7' 6" spinning rods - I favor over 90 % of the time, when health allows me to fish anymore.
755C
753SF
752SF

68camaro

I like shorter rods and would have liked to have seen a 5 power shorter rod. I am good on spinning rods but chose:

723c
724c
744c

Of the three the 724 looks like I could slip it in rotation the easiest.

Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass

CraigP83

722sf
724c
755c

It breaks my heart that the 722sf doesn't have many votes as that one tops my list. It would be an amazing finesse rod for northern smallmouth.

fishandkamp

Well as I have said in the past, my boat only stores 7 footers, so obviously if I was going to purchase a top line rod I would be looking at a 7 footer.. However that is not what was asked here.
So my choices would be the following. I prefer top of the line rods for bottom contact baits mostly.
Here is what I voted for.
724C
754C
723SF

Of course if I won one I would find a way to put it to good use. LOl

Captsteve

I voted
723 c
724 c
755 c

but it will be a while before I go high end

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Steve
Headed for the Lake

SteveTX

Quote from: fishandkamp on February 19, 2018, 11:03:59 AM
Well as I have said in the past, my boat only stores 7 footers, so obviously if I was going to purchase a top line rod I would be looking at a 7 footer.. However that is not what was asked here.
So my choices would be the following. I prefer top of the line rods for bottom contact bais mostly.
Here is what I voted for.
724C
754C
723SF

Of course if I won one I would find a way to put it to good use. LOl
My boat is capable of a 7'11" rod but if I won a high dollar high end 8' rod. Like you I will make it work.  lo

BigFitz

I really like the idea of a 724c. Since I fish from a kayak, I dont like really long rods over 7'2 or 7'3". These are the sweet spot for length and my comfort level. I've bought four fury series rods in the last year and only need a jig rod( bottom contact) to round out my arsenal. I want something more sensitive than a fury so was looking at a champion 744. If there was a 724c, I'd be more interested in that for the shorter length. Tax returns are allowing me to get this higher quality stick.

kingmotorboat

724c - pitching jigs
753c- finesse flipping on my tidal river
755c- for when I need to drop the hammer on them

These setups here can pretty much cover everything for me, heck the 753 rigged with 14 pound fluoro makes perfect finesse flip and pitch/ spinnerbait rod

Mike Cork

This has slowed down guys, I know a lot more of you have an opinion. Remember I totally get that this could be hypothetical in most of our budgets but if it were doable or someone was going to straight up give it to you, which would you want?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Blacknredflake

Since Im a budget stricken guy its u likely I could ever afford such nice rods. But heres my picks if I could!

DC 703C

DC 734C S/H

DC 702SF

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
BITE THE DAMN WORM!

Donald Garner

I don't own any Dobyns Rods and have only fished with (1) once.  That was on a guided trip on Lake Fork a few years ago.  We fished Shaky heads and Deep Diving Crankbaits.  Having read through the postings my style of fishing is some what like SteveTX does.  So I'd take his recommendation and chose these rods below.

753C
754C
755C

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

SteveTX

Quote from: Donald Garner on February 27, 2018, 07:43:39 PM
I don't own any Dobyns Rods and have only fished with (1) once.  That was on a guided trip on Lake Fork a few years ago.  We fished Shaky heads and Deep Diving Crankbaits.  Having read through the postings my style of fishing is some what like SteveTX does.  So I'd take his recommendation and chose these rods below.

753C
754C
755C
lo Man first person I ever knew that followed something I did. Your living dangerously.  ~roflmao

Donald Garner

Quote from: SteveTX on February 27, 2018, 08:38:56 PM
lo Man first person I ever knew that followed something I did. Your living dangerously.  ~roflmao

Brother been living on 'The Edge' for so long I don't know any different    ~shade
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Dink Dawg

I'm curious.  Will the 722, 723 SF's have the full handle ?   That's always been my personal preference. Just asking .

Ron Griffin