BPS Carbonlite 2.0

Started by jfergus7, February 14, 2018, 03:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfergus7

I am really curious if anyone has one of these yet and what your thoughts of it are.  While at BPS this morning looking at a boat I ended up getting one from my GF for a Valentines gift!!!  So excited to get out and give it a shot in about a month when the ice clears.  I already had planning on going this weekend to pick up the Carbonlite 2.0 combo that they have on sale for the fishing classic but I was in need of another quality rod anyways so will end up with two of the same which I am totally good with assuming the rods are as good as I am hoping them to be.

jfergus7

The rod that I got today is a 7' Heavy.  I have a family cottage on a lake that is crazy thick with weeds all spring and most of summer.  I have fished the weeds some in the past but always had a hard time dragging  the 5-6 pounders out that this lake is fulled with.  Hoping the heavy will really help in making that easier and give me opportunities to really fish the thick stuff considerably more then I have in the past.  When I purchase the combo this weekend I am going to get it in a 7' Medium Heavy.

Bud Kennedy

OH BOO HOO, I feel sorry for you having to drag out those 5 or 6 lb bass.   ~roflmao

jfergus7

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on February 14, 2018, 03:21:48 PM
OH BOO HOO, I feel sorry for you having to drag out those 5 or 6 lb bass.   ~roflmao

Ya it really is a pain!!!  lo

Polaris425

I'm going this weekend as well, to pick up the combo. Never had a JM reel, and probably would never have bought one but, I've been wanting another carbonlite rod and getting a reel free with one, is worth waiting... lol I'm just glad I didn't buy one 2 weeks ago when we were there looking at them.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Lipripper

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on February 14, 2018, 03:21:48 PM
Me too Bud and maybe the water will stay hard up there all year.  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Polaris425 on February 14, 2018, 03:44:55 PM
I'm going this weekend as well, to pick up the combo. Never had a JM reel, and probably would never have bought one but, I've been wanting another carbonlite rod and getting a reel free with one, is worth waiting... lol I'm just glad I didn't buy one 2 weeks ago when we were there looking at them.
Yes you have. You fish Lews dont you? Same thing, both made by Doyo.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

zippyduck

Bought my wife one last year for dropshotting and it helped her a lot till she leaned on it and it snapped in two the she wedged the rest of the rod under a cleat and broke that in two pieces. Now she is going to settle with ugly stiks because she hasn't broken one of them yet.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: zippyduck on February 14, 2018, 07:31:32 PM
Bought my wife one last year for dropshotting and it helped her a lot till she leaned on it and it snapped in two the she wedged the rest of the rod under a cleat and broke that in two pieces. Now she is going to settle with ugly stiks because she hasn't broken one of them yet.
Thats just awesome! Not the breaking of the rods part, but the resolution to the problem. Lol

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

jfergus7

My girlfriend is really getting into fishing and I already see that exact same thing coming down the road.  Really hoping I am wrong because I would like her to have some real nice gear just gonna have to wait and see how she does with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polaris425

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on February 14, 2018, 07:08:18 PM
Yes you have. You fish Lews dont you? Same thing, both made by Doyo.

<")))>{

In that case, I'm going to love the reel. Guess I'll keep it!  8)
Fishin' Alabama

jfergus7

I just found out they have a spinning rod too in this model.  Might be buying two combos this weekend

jfergus7

Going to try to get over and pick this up in the morning.  Really hoping I can get out of the store for under $300 this time!

Polaris425

I'm not spending that much lol. I'm just going for the combo, and some gamakatsu hooks, they are BOGO free. So I'm gonna stock up on worm hooks.
Fishin' Alabama

jfergus7

Did alright got out of the store for about $220.

Polaris425

WELL. I struck out. Per the usual BPS style, they didn't order that many combos, and all they had left was a bunch of LH reel combos... Sucks b/c I"m a Righty. The guy at the counter said the RH combo's were sold out by lunch yesterday.

They only had 1 left that was a 7' M which is what I Wanted. I almost bought it anyway, and then could sell the reel and at least make me feel a little better. The guy said they should have more in sometime around the 26th but, It's an 1.25hr drive from here, and I dont really want to waste the time.

I'm gonna have to keep watching the website to see if they reload it, right now the only thing available is the MH.

I did buy some Trokar hooks though, price per hook was better than the Gamakatsu's, but, These aren't NEAR as sharp as the Gama's though.. So I dunno if I will like them as much. But, I got 3 times as many hooks for only double the price, PLUS, 15 more hooks for free.

G's are $5/5pk and Trokars were $10/15pk and it was buy 2 get 1 free.
So $20 would have bought me 20 G's, but it bought me 45 Trokars. Again, they aren't ANYWHERE near as sharp feeling as my Gama's. but... i can always let the wife use them.
Fishin' Alabama

Kawidaddy

Didn't have much luck on the combo myself. Was looking for 7' med/mod,but the 2 stores I checked close to me only had fast action.

jfergus7

I went early yesterday and was able to pick up my 8.0 heavy.  Thought I was going to get through this Classic in good shape after leaving the store yesterday only spending $220.  Well went back today which wasn't a good financial move.  This sale has now run me about $500 but thankfully I can say I am done! I will be back next weekend though for a few of the seminars

jfergus7

Had an opportunity to try this out for a few casts today in a 15' wise gap in the ice.  Must say rod is unbelievably comfortable.  The Winn grips on it are awesome!  Glad I bought two rods might end up getting a few more now that I will be getting an employee discount!

DonM

I went to get a rod for the reel I ordered from China.  I went for the Carbonlite 2 combo.  For the price of the rod, you basically get the reel free.  If I don't like it I'll take it back later.  I don't need another reel but. . . .
Also got some rod gloves--buy 2 get 1 free.  And PowerPro line was on sale. 
I'll be ready when the doc releases me to fish!
DonM

jfergus7

Quote from: DonM on February 28, 2018, 04:52:02 PM
I went to get a rod for the reel I ordered from China.  I went for the Carbonlite 2 combo.  For the price of the rod, you basically get the reel free.  If I don't like it I'll take it back later.  I don't need another reel but. . . .
Also got some rod gloves--buy 2 get 1 free.  And PowerPro line was on sale. 
I'll be ready when the doc releases me to fish!

So far I have really liked that combo.  Actually thinking I might grab one more while still on sale.  Surprisingly my store still has some.  I have never used those rod gloves before either and have to say they are pretty awesome.  I bought about 10 of them for all my rods and will for sure buy one from now on every time I buy a new rod!

Oldfart9999

I bought one, 6'6" medlite for a finesse style reel and it pairs well. I like the CL 2.0 but for me the PRO QUALIFIER actually feels better, I just wish they had cork handles, while I can't complain about the Winn or the one on the PQ there's just something about the feel of good cork.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.