1999 pro team 175 speacial edition

Started by multispecies1, February 15, 2018, 08:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

multispecies1

Obviously new here, Glad I found an area with guys who actually own my type of boat. So... the problem I have is my 99 pt175 leans in the water pretty hard. I assume because of 2 batteries and myself on the same side of the boat. Even with a full tank of gas (other side of the boat). I saw the post on relocating batteries and had thought about that. Just wondering if anyone else has notice there boat leaning like this and what they may have done to remedy.
1999 Bass Tracker Pro Team 175 special edition

Princeton_Man

Welcome aboard! Be sure to make the rounds and get to know everyone.

Are you noticing the lean just sitting in the water or when your running?
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

multispecies1

Thanks for the welcome, I notice it both ways, running and sitting. I find myself sitting in the middle seat while running high speed, other wise it can create spray and I get wet...lol

Princeton_Man

Quote from: multispecies1 on February 15, 2018, 08:44:58 AM
Thanks for the welcome, I notice it both ways, running and sitting. I find myself sitting in the middle seat while running high speed, other wise it can create spray and I get wet...lol

Eventually some of our current Tracker owners will probably chime in. I owned an older Tracker 175 that would lean most noticeably to the right while running without being trimmed fully. Fully trimmed it wasn't noticeable. It was only really noticeable when I was alone.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

multispecies1

I fish alone a lot due to a swing work schedule. My brother bought the boat new in 99 and upgraded to a 40hp merc. Wish he would have went to the 50 or 60. Anyhow, He never really used it after the first 3 yrs. Then I started using it about 4 yrs ago, basically paid for numbers and kept up the maintenance. Well he decided he was ready to sell it. I have been thinking of buying the new targa, but wanted to wait till the new design had some used ones on the market. So.... He told me 3k and its yours. I think it was around 10k back In 99. I transferred the money to his account immediately. lol The fish finder only had 146 hrs on it 4 yrs ago when I started using it.  Now that its mine I am doing some upgrades to the TM and electronics. Ill post a pic tread when I get some of the projects going...

Pacific NW Ron

Welcome to UB.  You will find a lot of information on UltimateBass and there are a lot of opinions available. The members on this forum will treat you like family. If you have a question about anything, just post it and you'll get lots of answers. If you have a hint or an idea we would love to hear it. If you have a fishing story to tell post it, we all love a good story.  Sorry I can't help with your issue but I'm sure the great guys and gals on UB will be willing to help.

Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Princeton_Man

Relocating the batteries is probably the best option. You might check into adding trim tabs. I haven't seen them on a Tracker, but they should work. Check Nauticus, they make them for smaller boats.

Look at the SmartTabs. You may want to call and talk to them directly. I used their selector tool and came up the SX9510-30.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

multispecies1

Quote from: Princeton_Man on February 15, 2018, 09:37:00 AM
Relocating the batteries is probably the best option. You might check into adding trim tabs. I haven't seen them on a Tracker, but they should work. Check Nauticus, they make them for smaller boats.

Look at the SmartTabs. You may want to call and talk to them directly. I used their selector tool and came up the SX9510-30.

Copy.... Ill try the relocate and go from there...

Oldfart9999

Before spending any money or cutting the boat up check how you stow your tackle, that may make a difference. Balance it out or bias the weight to the port side.
Welcome aboard!!! Don't forget to check out the New Members contest, you might win a cool prize!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

scbassfanatic

I own an 05 PT 175 with a 50 HP Merc. With just me in the boat, it does lean to the right at rest and while idling. While running and trimmed properly, it levels out. I am currently running 3 batteries (added a 24 volt TM) and all WERE mounted in the rear compartment on the port side of the boat. I am a big fella so the boat still leaned despite 2 group 27 DC and a group 24 starting batteries. I am in the process of relocating my DC batteries to my front compartment. I will know, hopefully this weekend, how that affects the boat. I expect that it continue to lean to the starboard side but I hope that it will bring the nose down when at rest and the added weight in the front will help with addressing the affects the wind has on the boat. I would note that my relocation of the batteries was not because of the lean. The boat has always done that. I made the relocating because I would like to add another DC in the rear for my electronics and lights and simply had no more room back there. I have owned my Tracker since I bought it new in 05. They are great boats. A few quirks here and there. But all in all, they are a great platform. After I get this relocation done, my next project will be extending the front deck and re carpeting the entire boat. If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate. If I can not answer your questions, someone else can. I have gotten a lot of help from these guys over the years.

multispecies1

I have considered extending my deck also, but Doing the TM upgrade and electronics upgrade this year I just cant bring myself to recarpet the boat. Did you have to make many changes to your system when you went from 12v to 24v?

scbassfanatic

Quote from: multispecies1 on February 16, 2018, 12:20:09 PM
I have considered extending my deck also, but Doing the TM upgrade and electronics upgrade this year I just cant bring myself to recarpet the boat. Did you have to make many changes to your system when you went from 12v to 24v?
No sir. Most will tell you to upgrade the wiring to 6 gauge all the way back. I consulted a boat shop who said it would be fine. There is 8 gauge front to rear and a 50 amp circuit breaker in mine. Worked like a charm for me. No issues.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

multispecies1

Quote from: scbassfanatic on February 16, 2018, 07:42:45 PM
No sir. Most will tell you to upgrade the wiring to 6 gauge all the way back. I consulted a boat shop who said it would be fine. There is 8 gauge front to rear and a 50 amp circuit breaker in mine. Worked like a charm for me. No issues.

I need to add a circuit breaker to mine, Never had one. I assume because its a 12v???? I'll have to look around to find one that isn't open. I'm afraid of sparks if the poles aren't covered.

Kris

I found that Minn Kota recommended a 60 amp breaker on my 12v, 55 lb thrust bow mount when I redid my boat. Just for reference, my 70 lb, 24v MK recommendation is 50 amp. Yours might be a Motorguide but I would check to make sure. BTW, I have 8 gauge wire bow to stern on my 16 footer.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Down4ttown

I have a 96 Tracker PT175 with a 60hp four stroke on it. I have three batteries  in the boat on the driver side and my gas tank is located solely on the left. My storage is located mostly down the center of the front deck minus the one rod locker on the left side my the passenger seat.

That said, my boat doesn't really lean one way or the other. The only time is when two of us are fishing to one side close to the lip of the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

multispecies1

Quote from: Kris on February 17, 2018, 05:22:50 AM
I found that Minn Kota recommended a 60 amp breaker on my 12v, 55 lb thrust bow mount when I redid my boat. Just for reference, my 70 lb, 24v MK recommendation is 50 amp. Yours might be a Motorguide but I would check to make sure. BTW, I have 8 gauge wire bow to stern on my 16 footer.

Mine has been upgraded to 12v minn 55. Where should the BRKR be located? I would think Tracker would have had that as standard equipment.

scbassfanatic

Quote from: multispecies1 on February 17, 2018, 05:51:30 AM
Mine has been upgraded to 12v minn 55. Where should the BRKR be located? I would think Tracker would have had that as standard equipment.
Mine was in line on the positive lead about 12" off the positive terminal connection at the battery. A little box about 1 1/2" square maybe.

scbassfanatic

Quote from: scbassfanatic on February 17, 2018, 06:03:47 AM
Mine was in line on the positive lead about 12" off the positive terminal connection at the battery. A little box about 1 1/2" square maybe.

BTW it was factory installed for the 12 volt TM. It has  red cover the secures over the posts to protect them. The reset button is on the side about the size of the tip of a ball point pen.

Oldfart9999

Mount it in the most convenient place under cover, back by the batteries, up front under the front panel, etc.
Rodney

Kris

Quote from: multispecies1 on February 17, 2018, 05:51:30 AM
My recommendation with fuses and circuit breakers is to put them as close to the battery as possible. With trolling motor circuit breakers I agree with Rodney, "Mount it in the most convenient place under cover, back by the batteries, up front under the front panel". Major difference with circuit breakers for trolling motors is they have to be easily accessible but protected from the water. I know they say "waterproof" but I still keep them under cover.
I have two battery boxes in the rear of my reservoir rig and there is a circuit breaker mounted in each one. One for the bow motor in parallel (12v w/60 amp cb) one for the stern motor in series (24v w/50 amp cb). I have to undo the safety strap on the cover and the cb are mounted at opposite ends.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

multispecies1

So I got the 24v 70lb PD MK. Need 50 amp bkr . What do you guys recoment? also adding a third (cranking) battery. Should that have a bkr too? and should all electronics be run on the cranking battery and on the TM on the 2 27 series?

Oldfart9999

Go with a 60 aqmp, the TM batteries should only run the TM, no electronics hooked to them, they won't handle 24 volts and being used by the TM may have a lot of interference. Use the largest batteries you can, 24 volt, positive of the first hooked to negative of the second, positive of the second hooked to TM, negative from TM hooked to first battery negative. I would use the largest cranking/deep cell battery you can fit in there.
Rodney

Oldfart9999

I solder all battery connections then shrink wrap them.
Rodney

multispecies1

So you don't think I should follow MKs recommended 50amp bkr? What are some good breakers?