Wiring for front sonar???

Started by 97s281_27, February 16, 2018, 01:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97s281_27

Should my 2018 Tracker 190 TX have come pre-wired up front for hooking up a sonar on the front deck? I thought they told me it was when I bought it but today pulled off the plate where the trolling motor plugs in and where the trim switch is and didn't see any extra wiring. I seem to remember when I bought the boat they told me the boat was pre wired and there would be pig tails behind the plate that I could use to hook up a sonar unit up front. I didn't have a flashlight with me and couldn't really fit my hand in the hole where the plate was so it's possible the wiring is just further up under there.

Does anyone have experience with hooking up a sonar in front on one of these boats? Are they already wired up for one?

multispecies1

I think I would call the salesman you worked with now. He will tell you if it is, and if not you can remind him what he told you. Either way Im sure youll have it. I know a guy whose brother works for a large car retailer and they tell fibs a lot. He said only once in a while do they come back, but when they do they take care of it. Shame things work that way but.... if you call back Im sure they will make it right.
1999 Bass Tracker Pro Team 175 special edition

Princeton_Man

Some have been pre-wired. You may want to reach in and feel around, they have been tucked in a crevice. Like Multi suggested, if the salesman told it was, they may make good on the claim.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Pacific NW Ron

If the dealer is reputable they should make it right.  It's a shame that car, boat, appliance, elctronics etc. sales people these days will tell you what they think you want to hear.  It would be interesting did the sales person volunteer that information or did you ask him about it.  I'm betting you asked and he knew what you wanted to hear so he said of course it does.  I hope he's honest and doesn't deny he said it.
Good luck.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

scbassfanatic

Quote from: 97s281_27 on February 16, 2018, 01:02:52 PM
Should my 2018 Tracker 190 TX have come pre-wired up front for hooking up a sonar on the front deck? I thought they told me it was when I bought it but today pulled off the plate where the trolling motor plugs in and where the trim switch is and didn't see any extra wiring. I seem to remember when I bought the boat they told me the boat was pre wired and there would be pig tails behind the plate that I could use to hook up a sonar unit up front. I didn't have a flashlight with me and couldn't really fit my hand in the hole where the plate was so it's possible the wiring is just further up under there.

Does anyone have experience with hooking up a sonar in front on one of these boats? Are they already wired up for one?
I have an 05 PT 175. Mine was prewired for front sonar. It was tucked under the front deck behind the access panel.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kris

Quote from: 97s281_27 on February 16, 2018, 01:02:52 PM

I would think a 2018 Tracker would come pre-wired for a front sonar. I am sure it would not come from the trolling motor wires but from the other side, starboard, of the boat. Sometimes trolling motor operation can affect the operation of them so they are usually wired with other electric parts like light and pumps.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

97s281_27

It wasn't the salesman that told me it was pre-wired, it was the service tech that went over the details of the boat with me when i picked it up. I'll take a closer look where the guy said it should be when I get a chance.

Anyone have tips for installing my sonar on front? My boat came with the Hook-4x but it doesn't have the GPS mapping capabilities so I ordered a regular hook-4 to use at console and want to install the 4X up front. I bought the Ram mount bracket and riser plate to install it but What dobyou use to plug the hole where your wires come up through the deck at to ensure no water leaks through?

Princeton_Man

I use rubber wire grommets whenever possible and GE 5200 silicone sealant. It's available in clear, black, or white. 5200 is meant for long term exposure to moisture and use below the waterline. It won't discolor or deteriorate over time. 
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Kris

I use wire grommets whenever possible and 3M 5200 sealer for anything I don't want to take off again. It is very good at its job like Jim said. I have it around the rivets on the bottom of my boat and sealing the plastic block against the transom for my transducers and such.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Goldstar225

I just installed a helix 7 on the bow of my 2018 PT 190.  The wires are there but you probably can't reach them by just taking off the small plate (I couldn't).  I had to remove the entire front panel which gives better access.  The wires already have the butt connectors installed.  You just have to crimp your leads and you have power.  Mine already had a 3 amp fuse in the fuse panel.

Oldfart9999

I've heard you may have to move the whole panel, just be careful and remember where all the screws go.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

WCWV

My 2018 pro team190 TX came pre-wired.
I pulled the panel off and it was right there, put my Garmin 73sv up front.
😁😁

jyu87

Yup. You have to remove the front panel. I just hooked up my HDS12 the other day. I would also recommend a little socket to run through wires through the panel. Very clean install.
2018 Tracker 190TX
Mercury 115 ProXS
Lowrance HDS 12 & 9 Gen3