BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK

Started by multispecies1, February 17, 2018, 05:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

multispecies1

I'm in the market to upgrade the electronics in my boat. Still has the cute little hummingbird that cam with it in 99. I want GPS maps for sure. I am trying to stay as close to 500.00. Any suggestions are appreciated. Does anyone ever buy others when they up grade? (not mine of course... lol) I was thinking maybe I could get a 1200.00 price point used if someone was ever to up grade.
1999 Bass Tracker Pro Team 175 special edition

Down4ttown

I bought two helix 7's this summer from amazon. GPS and chirp sonar and they are the new G2 models. Got them for 280 each on prime. There are deals to be had if you are patient and look.

That said I do like the helix. Good picture and easy to use. They have been awesome upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kris

Electronics is one thing that you need to shop to find deals on what you want. I purchased my Lowrance Elite 5 HDI from Gander Mountain for under $250 before they went away. It was a fully loaded model a couple years ago.
I have been thinking of upgrading and looking around a little. At work we have Lowrance Hook 7 with GPS, Chirp and Down Imaging for $300. We also have some Hook2 models but don't have GPS.
Good luck in your search.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Oldfart9999

For the difference you might want to look at an Elite 7.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

multispecies1

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on February 17, 2018, 07:45:01 AM
For the difference you might want to look at an Elite 7.
Rodney

I will struggle with this purchase, I'm use to the hummingbird that came with the boat. You know the one with the little fishys on the screen...lol I guess I'll have to take some time to figure out whats going to serve me best. I really know nothing about these modern electronics.

Down4ttown

I think both products are great. I went to humminbird after my lowrance elite quit working. I sent it to them and they didn't offer any help. I opened it up and water poured out of it. A unit meant to be used on the water, must have gotten rained on and that was it. Now I really like the HDS 3 so they all offer good products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donald Garner

There are a lot of great deals out there right now on all of the electronics.  I'm in the process of upgrading my electronics on my Stratos.  I still have the original Lowrance electronics from 2004 and they're on their last leg.  I'm going to go with the Hook 7 and have it mounted on a RAM mount next to the console.  Up on the front deck I'm thinking about mounting the Hook 5 up there.  But I might change my mind and go with another Hook 7.  I'm still thinking about that one.

I got my Hook 7 from Academy it was on sale for $299.00.  They have the Hook 5 there also for $ 299.00.

Good luck in getting your new stuff.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

multispecies1

Quote from: Donald Garner on February 17, 2018, 04:04:53 PM
There are a lot of great deals out there right now on all of the electronics.  I'm in the process of upgrading my electronics on my Stratos.  I still have the original Lowrance electronics from 2004 and they're on their last leg.  I'm going to go with the Hook 7 and have it mounted on a RAM mount next to the console.  Up on the front deck I'm thinking about mounting the Hook 5 up there.  But I might change my mind and go with another Hook 7.  I'm still thinking about that one.

I got my Hook 7 from Academy it was on sale for $299.00.  They have the Hook 5 there also for $ 299.00.

What is the difference between a hook 5 and hook 7 and a 7 elite??????????

Good luck in getting your new stuff.

Donald Garner

You can click on the link below and it will show you the difference in the Electronics. 

The Hook 5 is smaller in size to start with. Its a Mid/High/Downscan Fishfinder/Chartplotter with Insight Pro.  The screen size is 5 inches. 

Hook 5

The Hook 7 is a Mid/High Downscan Fishfinder / GPS Combo.  The Screen size is 7 inches.

Hook 7
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

CaptainSolo

Ive been messing around with the Lowrance Hook2 and EliteTi units lately, and both have great offerings below $1200.  If you want touch screen, the EliteTi's are the way to go, but if you dont care about that as much, you can get a bigger Hook2 unit for a really fair price. 

Right now you can get a good unit with a Navionics+ card bundled with it.

https://www.navionics.com/usa/charts/navionics-plus/bundles

SteveTX

Man I am in the same hunt as you. Sad part is I have been looking for quite some time and I just never seem confident when I see the price if its low in my range I feel like it is missing features or something that I will be told or find out later about. Like Hey you could have had #$%^&* for that kind a money. Seems to happen every time I buy something. It really sucks to not know all about these things when your trying to buy one.

I want the 7" screen and I am still wanting side imaging even though I have been told its not that useful. But on the same note I keep seeing and hearing people using it. I really don't care what brand as long as its a popular name brand.

I keep seeing those Hook2 units and they seem really inexpensive what is the deal with them?

Oldfart9999

It looks like the Hook would be in your price range and they offer what you're looking for. The Lowrance site should be able to tell you the difference in the units. Another option are factory remans, they usually are about half the price of new and come with a warranty. I bought an HDS 7 Touch Gen 2 that way 3 or 4 years ago and am pleased with it, paid 700 for a 1200 dollar unit.
Let us know what you go with.
Rodney

Skunked again

Have you looked at Garmin? The striker series has the same screen quality of the echomap, same transducer also. It comes with GPS, and a basemap.
The new, striker plus units, are quick draw capable.

The order for the echomap series is as follows, (im borrowing this from someone else) -
1. Echomap (gen 1)
2. Echomap chirp (gen 2)
3. Echomap plus (gen 3) chirp plus touch screen.
Most all of the echomap series come preloaded with lake maps. 17000 lakes, 13000 of which have 1' contours. If I'm not mistaken, the echomap's also all have a microsd card slot also. You can get a echomap chirp (gen 2) for about what you're wanting to spend, with di - SI - and a card slot. If you still need a map card, you buy one for the whole country.
Look for some deals on the older strikers, and echomap chirp units, as they've been replaced by the plus units.
I was in the same situation as you. Was looking at the used stuff. You really have to know what you're looking for with used. Have the seller send you lots of pictures, and pics of the serial number, that way you know you're getting what you've paid for.
I wound up with two echomap plus 73 sv units. Love them.
Happily married. Two kids. Two dogs.

Princeton_Man

I used mostly Lowrance most of my life and didn't know much else. Always came on the boats I bought and unless they quit, I never changed. I was never 100% happy with my Elite which made me want to upgrade.

I'm currently head over heals with the Garmin EchoMap CHIRP units. I have a 73SV at the console along with the LakeVu HD Ultra card. I hope to eventually put a second EchoMap up front. It's possible to get 73SV and 73DV for about $1200 if you find them on sale or buy through an outlet.

Like Down4ttown mentioned, price of a Helix is tough to beat. I currently have a Helix CHIRP G2 up front on the bow because I couldn't swing a second Garmin at the time. I haven't played with the settings much but it doesn't seem to ID fish as well on the display as the Garmin although it get the job done.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

No Excuses

I just bought a Garmin Striker Plus 5CV. Very happy so far. None of my local lakes are on any of the map programs. The Garmin has Quickdraw Contours where it allows you to make your own map with 1' contour lines as the sonar scans while you fish. Holds enough data to do 2 million acres. It has Traditional Sonar and ClearVu Down Imaging as well as GPS. Great little unit, for only $299. It does not have an SD port. But if you upgrade to the 9 I believe it does have one as well as the Active Captain app that allows you to share data/maps with other users.

Here's a couple screenshots, only drawback is having to take pics of the screen with a phone.

No Excuses

Wizard

During most of my fishing era, I told anglers to buy the best electronics they could afford. Price DID make a difference. Looking at today's electronics with all the reasonably priced innovations, I feel you no longer need the best or costliest unit. Pixel count and the resolution of the image means more than some enhancements. The lower priced units do not have the pixel count or screen size to see what is needed. The large, expensive units have the best screen view, resolution and enhancements. But, you get the detail and enhancements at the expensive of trying to mount them on your boat. I had 10 inch units on my old boat. They definitely reduce room on the bow. I believe the 7-9 inch mid cost electronics are the way to go. You have good pixel count and screen size. Good enough for side and direct scan to show their value. Yet, the units are small enough to not interfere with your fishing. Chirp or similar technology makes a big difference and you need GPS on at least one unit. Several times throughout the year, Cabelas  and other big box stores put electronics on sale at greatly reduced prices. Every time I have decided to buy electronics, my body falls apart. I'm still using the original color Lowrance from 2006. They are 5 inch units and while very good in their day, the detail isn't there and their day has passed. Soon, I will  buy 7-9 inch units with down scan as I don't need side scan. They will have GPS mapping and should cost me $400-$700 each when on sale.

Wizard

multispecies1

multispecies1

apparently I don't know how to make a link......

Princeton_Man

That's a good looking package. I found it for 509.00 at the GPS Store.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

multispecies1

Quote from: Princeton_Man on March 21, 2018, 05:45:56 AM
That's a good looking package. I found it for 509.00 at the GPS Store.

I have a 200$ cabelas card....

Princeton_Man

Quote from: multispecies1 on March 21, 2018, 05:40:29 PM
I have a 200$ cabelas card....

You should try to see if Cabela's will match it. Doesn't hurt to try.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Princeton_Man on March 21, 2018, 07:17:26 PM
You should try to see if Cabela's will match it. Doesn't hurt to try.

Dittos!!!
Rodney

Skunked again

What did you wind up getting?
Happily married. Two kids. Two dogs.

multispecies1

Quote from: Skunked again on April 25, 2018, 06:56:49 AM
What did you wind up getting?

I went with Helix 7 DI gps combo. Still learning it and need to tweak ducer. Not getting high speed readings at a wopping 26mpg