Deep cranking line

Started by SpankysRods, February 19, 2018, 02:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpankysRods

Just wandering what size line you all use for cranking in the 15-20ft range

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Polaris425

Floro cause it sinks (doesn't float like mono) and I would say 12-15lb would be my go to.

Others may prefer something different but, that's what I would throw.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

coldfront

flouro.  10-12 pound cause it goes deeper and on the offshore ledges, there's very little stuff for those fish to get in trouble with.

loomisguy

8 or 10lb. Invisx.  It has a bit more stretch than sniper or shooter and casts really well.

Oldfart9999

8 to 12 florocarbon but I'm seriously thinking about switching to 15 lb braid.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Smallie_Stalker

I fish my cranks on braid almost exclusively. If I'm fishing shallow and there are a lot of laydowns and branches I may switch to mono to help finesse the bait through the tangles. That's about it for me. I don't use flouro much anymore.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SpankysRods

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on February 19, 2018, 04:51:26 PM
I fish my cranks on braid almost exclusively. If I'm fishing shallow and there are a lot of laydowns and branches I may switch to mono to help finesse the bait through the tangles. That's about it for me. I don't use flouro much anymore.
What are the benefits to using braid? And do you notice less strikes due to the fish being able to see it? Just wandering because I fish a lot of clear water like Table Rock. I'm sure you've got some clear water up there

earldogg

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: SpankysRods on February 19, 2018, 05:23:29 PM
What are the benefits to using braid? And do you notice less strikes due to the fish being able to see it? Just wandering because I fish a lot of clear water like Table Rock. I'm sure you've got some clear water up there

For me the benefits are smaller diameter to higher strength ratio allows me to get my baits deeper but I don't have to worry about breaking off a big fish. Smaller diameter helps the bait get down to it's max depth faster. Also more sensitive so I can feel what my bait and just as importantly my line are doing at all times. Less problems with knots than flouro. Don't have to worry about line memory like flouro or mono. Don't have to respool as often.

As to visibility I don't buy into the theory that line scares or spooks the fish. I fish gin clear glacial lakes some of which you can see bottom in 30 feet. Because I am older and my eyes aren't what they used to be I use Hi-Vis yellow braid and I have not noticed any difference in my catch ratio.

I should point out that my personal preference for braid for deep cranking is Spiderwire Ultra-Cast Floro Braid. Even though the name says floro it actually doesn't have any flourocarbon in it. It has 8 strands of Gore fiber that helps it sink similar to floro so you don't get the bow in your line that you would get with normal braid. Suffix 832 also has Gore fiber but it is only a single strand so it sinks a little better than regular braid but not as much or as fast as the Spiderwire stuff.

I may have left something out but that's about the gist of it for me.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SpankysRods

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on February 19, 2018, 05:46:26 PM
For me the benefits are smaller diameter to higher strength ratio allows me to get my baits deeper but I don't have to worry about breaking off a big fish. Smaller diameter helps the bait get down to it's max depth faster. Also more sensitive so I can feel what my bait and just as importantly my line are doing at all times. Less problems with knots than flouro. Don't have to worry about line memory like flouro or mono. Don't have to respool as often.

As to visibility I don't buy into the theory that line scares or spooks the fish. I fish gin clear glacial lakes some of which you can see bottom in 30 feet. Because I am older and my eyes aren't what they used to be I use Hi-Vis yellow braid and I have not noticed any difference in my catch ratio.

I should point out that my personal preference for braid for deep cranking is Spiderwire Ultra-Cast Floro Braid. Even though the name says floro it actually doesn't have any flourocarbon in it. It has 8 strands of Gore fiber that helps it sink similar to floro so you don't get the bow in your line that you would get with normal braid. Suffix 832 also has Gore fiber but it is only a single strand so it sinks a little better than regular braid but not as much or as fast as the Spiderwire stuff.

I may have left something out but that's about the gist of it for me.
Awesome thanks for the input. I've always wandered about how much the fish actually care about seeing the line

Wizard

I use Silver Thread co-polymer. For full size cranks use 8, 10,12 lb test. 10 is my standard line. If I want the crank to run 2 ft shallower, I use 12. 2 ft deeper, I use 8.

Wizard

Oldfart9999

I'm finding that braid doesn't matter, I'm catching the same number of fish with braid as I was with mono or flouro, by the way, flouro is round so it bends the light and can be seen in the water. Braid gives me more sensitivity and at my age that's a good thing. Many of the lakes I fish are clear, some you can count the pebbles on the bottom in 20 to 30 fow.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.