Best screwdriver for Daiwa Tatula screws

Started by Fun4me, February 22, 2018, 08:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fun4me

I've been using a regular(flat head) screwdriver to unscrew my side plate for maintenance. It moves around a lot and it looks like there is a certain kind of screwdriver that would be a better shape to fit the screws. This may be a common type of driver, but can someone point me in the direction of what that kind of driver is? Thanks!!

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteveTX

I'm not taking credit for this I just Googled and found this guys post elsewhere. Im guessing this is the screwdriver you are looking for? Watch out when you see the price.  :shocking:
QuoteFound the exact tool for the Daiwa screw. It's the Daiwa SLP Works Special Slot Driver 4.0mm.
Available at eastackle.com. (Yes, only one "t")

https://www.eastackle.com/p-7151-daiwa-slp-works-special-slot-driver-40mm-reel-maintenance-pros-tool.aspx

Eastackle ordering is straight forward, they accept Paypal, and ship super-fast. The options for shipment are many. When you register with eastackle you can pick a US currency option. This is a convenience to show apx dollar exchange - but only that. Your final payment will show in Singapore dollars. Your credit card will convert this to dollars. You'll see this in your CC statement.

Best shipping option:
"Expedited International Courier Service - Small Package Delivery - Insured:(Estimated Delivery Time: 2-6 Working Days)
(NOTE: Do not select this option for shipping fishing rods)"

It's not an inexpensive item to purchase and ship. Apx $80 total. But, it is the right tool for Zillion, Tatula, etc, side plates.

Oldfart9999

Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SFL BassHunter

62 dollars? I say keep using a regular screw driver lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Fun4me

I appreciate the link. Yeah, I'd buy another reel before paying that much LOL!

I found this one. A little cheaper but still not worth it for me.

http://japantackle.com/tog0000048.html

LgMouthGambler

A pocket screwdriver like you get at an autoparts store that has the magnet on the other side seem to fit the most snug on the Daiwas if that helps. Or, you get a good set of precision drivers, and even at that, the pocket one fits tighter. Just dont have shaky hands.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteelHorseCowboy

I second the precision screwdrivers.

Here's one with interchangeable bits and built in torque settings.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/718023/wheeler-engineering-fat-firearm-accurizing-torque-torque-wrench-screwdriver

Same thing, but digital.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/508605/wheeler-engineering-digital-fat-firearms-accurizing-torque-torque-wrench-screwdriver

Ah, but surely something cheaper is preferred?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/220908/wheeler-engineering-precision-micro-screwdriver-set

Here's a cheap, nicely assorted kit. But I can attest that Winchester tools (at least the new ones), SUCK.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/450879/winchester-51-piece-gunsmith-screwdriver-set

I have no experience with Pachmayr tools, but I've used many of their other products with satisfaction.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/776936/pachmayr-31-piece-professional-gunsmith-screwdriver-set

None of these would be a perfect fit for Daiwa's specialty screws, but all of them have a bit that would be a great fit.

There is another option. Find some screws that match the Daiwa screws but have a slot that fits the dang screwdriver! I scavenge small screws from scrap electronics on a regular basis for this very purpose and to replace small screws that get lost or damaged.

Also, flat head mechanic screwdrivers are good for only two things that I can think of; small pry bars, and they can easily be sharpened into a shiv. Wait, you can use the handle end for gently tapping small parts around, and the head can be sharpened into a small chisel. I ain't met a screw yet that fits a flat head mechanic screwdriver well, and I do a lot of screwing. Mostly screwing around and screwing up, but I wouldn't use one of those for any sort of screwing.

SteveTX

If your a reel repair person I say buy the proper tool. Even at $100 in the end there is no substitute for doing something right especially when it's someone else's property your working on.

If it's your own personal reels then use what ever you want or feel comfortable with. But it drives me insane to have boogered up screw heads on anything.

Being that I worked on a lot of customer engines and mine as well back in my racing days I can say adamantly that it just works better and here are a few reasons why. You can work faster with tools that are designed for the job. Your able to work more confidently knowing your tools are the correct ones and won't accidentally make another issue. You also can have less fatigue using comfortable tools that fit and don't requiring extreme pressure or odd angles to accomplish the task. If you never worked with china junk tools and then worked with quality precision tools you need to try it. You will gain a whole new respect for people spending thousands on their tools. A lot like high end rods or reel purchases. And last how many hundreds of $ do we generally spend on fishing stuff and never question the purchase.

Now will I buy one nope. This is just another reason I can ad to the list of reasons I am not a Daiwa fan and don't see becoming one. I clean and repair my own reels but no one else's. And last that the most expensive single screwdriver I've seen I think.  lo

SteelHorseCowboy

I agree Steve. I used to sneer at guys who spent tons on tools, considered them brand snobs buying nothing but the name.
Then I tried the good stuff.
I still collect the cheap junk, only because I sometimes get some as Christmas or birthday gifts. They stay set aside for other folks in the house to use, because everyone else knows to stay the hell out of MY toolbox.

Caught my youngest boy using one of my Snap-On ratchets as a makeshift hammer, I chased that boy all around the house threatening to use it as a hammer on his head. Of course I never woulda done it, but it scared his little azz straight.

cbburke

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on February 23, 2018, 02:07:57 PM
Caught my youngest boy using one of my Snap-On ratchets as a makeshift hammer, I chased that boy all around the house threatening to use it as a hammer on his head. Of course I never woulda done it, but it scared his little azz straight.

Like this ?

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

SteveTX

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on February 23, 2018, 02:07:57 PM
I agree Steve. I used to sneer at guys who spent tons on tools, considered them brand snobs buying nothing but the name.
Then I tried the good stuff.
I still collect the cheap junk, only because I sometimes get some as Christmas or birthday gifts. They stay set aside for other folks in the house to use, because everyone else knows to stay the hell out of MY toolbox.

Same here all the china stuff gets used in places where it will potentially get lost or 5 finger discounted. Like in my work van toolbox.

My good tools are locked in the roll away, in the garage, that is also locked. Guess who has a key, nobody but me. Same with my guns I have the combination and only I have it. 

If its something you value you don't leave it to chance that it will disappear even if the intent was not bad its a pride thing. Certain things I don't loan or share with anyone. Tools and guns are on my list.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Fun4me on February 23, 2018, 07:04:32 AM
I appreciate the link. Yeah, I'd buy another reel before paying that much LOL!

I found this one. A little cheaper but still not worth it for me.

http://japantackle.com/tog0000048.html

Those look great and would work great on my reels!!! I'll stick with what I'm using, they work good and I'm careful with how I use them. ;D
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.