Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Synthetic Oil  (Read 1219 times)

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Synthetic Oil
« on: February 19, 2018, 10:49:46 AM »

My Expedition is about to hit 100K miles.  Just wondering what you car guys say about when to start using synthetic oil or not.

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
  • If you ain't froggin you ain't fishing ;)
Re: Synthetic Oil
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 11:00:39 AM »

Both my vehicles use MaxLife which is a synthetic blend. Never had an issue and both vehicles are way over 100K.

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 11:10:23 AM »

I use full synthetic in everything. The yota is pushing 400K miles and has never known anything but full synthetic Castrol. The White horse had about 99k miles when I got it. I stopped on the way home for an oil filter and Syntec and changed it before drove anywhere else.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

Mike the fox

• Bass Fishing Guide
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 11:11:06 AM »

I run Mobil 1 in all my vehicles starting from the first oil change and typically only change my oil every 8-10k. Of course I drive a Toyota so itís going to last forever anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DonM

• Charter Member
    • DonMasonMusic
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 12:49:09 PM »

197K on my 06 Expedition.  Never used anything but Motor Craft synthetic.  Runs like new!
Had all the coils replaced last week, and gas mileage improved significantly.  :)
DonM

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 12:54:52 PM »

I use full synthetic in everything. The yota is pushing 400K miles and has never known anything but full synthetic Castrol. The White horse had about 99k miles when I got it. I stopped on the way home for an oil filter and Syntec and changed it before drove anywhere else.

bingo.  full synthetic, full time in my vehicles.  might be cheapest insurance a guy can 'get'.

WTodd

• Largemouth
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 01:26:38 PM »

Iíve been using the AMSOIL signature series oil for about 15 years; 1 year or 25K miles between changes and IMO itís the best oil on the market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 06:48:22 AM »

Yep.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 07:07:47 AM »

When to start using it? First oil change after driving it off the lot.

Synthetic oil is, without question, far superior to old dino oil. No need to wait for a certain amount of accumulated wear and tear before switching to it, might as well switch to it immediately.
It's expensive, but cheaper in the long run because it saves in costs in other areas, including gas mileage, and you get longer oil change intervals. My car has an oil quality sensor, not a basic timer/mileage sensor, it actually checks several parameters to tell me when it's time to change the oil. The first few changes were done by the dealership, only because it was the first NEW car I'd had in years, and I averaged around 4K miles per interval. I decided to save my time and money and do it myself, using full synthetic and Boss filters, now I'm averaging 8K mile intervals.

WTodd

• Largemouth
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 02:46:18 PM »

I start when the first change is due but I started using it initially with my first Sierra and I think it had 80K on it

18RangerZ520L

• Smallmouth
  • Isaiah 40:31
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 10:54:31 AM »

2018 Ranger Z520L | 2017 Platinum F250 | (2) Solix 15's w/360

apenland01

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 04:31:21 PM »

If your engine has 100k and you have been running conventional oil, you should probably stick to a synthetic blend or conventional oil.  Switching to a full synthetic now will likely cause you develop oil leaks fairly soon, which can lead to other problems.

WTodd

• Largemouth
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 05:23:17 PM »

AMSOIL guy here for over 15 years.....their Signature Series you change it once a year or 25K miles.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 04:58:07 PM »

If your engine has 100k and you have been running conventional oil, you should probably stick to a synthetic blend or conventional oil.  Switching to a full synthetic now will likely cause you develop oil leaks fairly soon, which can lead to other problems.
Uh huh.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

scbassfanatic

• Largemouth
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 10:05:46 AM »

I have never used synthetic oil. I am purchasing a 2000 Tahoe today that has been in the owners family since purchased by his daughter new. He told me he had been running Mobile 1 Synthetic in it since he had it and changed it every 5K miles. That got me wondering (A) can I switch to conventional? My Dad taught me you never change stray from the oil the engine is used to. So I am leaning to continuing the trend with the Mobil 1, or (B)  could I switch to Amsoil for the once a year 25K oil change?

FloridaFishinFool

• Fisher Person
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 10:14:36 AM »

This is interesting...

I ran into this with my old Yamaha outboard, but "problem" is universal in just about all engines.

I found out that a lot of the rubber seals used in my Yamaha, and toyota 4Runner are "swollen" to seal up with a chemical reaction to petroleum based lubrication.

And when switching to full synthetic, now the chemical reaction that swells rubber seals is now gone, the rubber begins to contract and does not seal as well, and small leaks can begin.

At least this is how it was explained to me back in my Yammy days... so I was advised to use a synthetic blend to get the best of both worlds... the petroleum to swell the rubber seals, and the synthetic to give me the lubrication advantage.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 04:28:00 PM by FloridaFishinFool »
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 12:03:10 PM »

I have never used synthetic oil. I am purchasing a 2000 Tahoe today that has been in the owners family since purchased by his daughter new. He told me he had been running Mobile 1 Synthetic in it since he had it and changed it every 5K miles. That got me wondering (A) can I switch to conventional? My Dad taught me you never change stray from the oil the engine is used to. So I am leaning to continuing the trend with the Mobil 1, or (B)  could I switch to Amsoil for the once a year 25K oil change?
I'd stick with the Mobile 1. If he doesn't already use Mobile 1 oil filters, I'd recommend using them too. As far as I know the Mobile 1 filter is still the best oil filter on the market. One of the few that has a truly functional check valve. I've used Full Synthetic Castrol (Edge and now called Syntec) in all of my vehicles for many years. My Toyota has gotten full Synthetic since it was new and is going on over 500,000.  I believe you get what you pay for.

Someone may know better than me but, I believe the 5000 mile oil change most schedule for most vehicles is based on using full synthetic or synthetic blend oil. I wouldn't think it would be wise to put conventional oil in any vehicle the has a 5k oil change schedule.

As far as Amsoil, I know very little about it other than that it's a synthetic oil. I personally would never leave oil go 25k in any vehicle. If you do try it, I'd suggest changing the filter every 5k.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

apenland01

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 04:17:38 PM »

ou

This is interesting...

I ran into this with my old Yamaha outboard, but "problem" is universal in just about all engines.

I found out that a lot of the rubber seals used in my Yamaha, and toyota 4Runner are "swollen" to seal up with a chemical reaction to petroleum based lubrication.

And when switching to full synthetic, now the chemical reaction that swells rubber seals is now gone, the rubber begins to contract and does not seal as well, and small leaks can begin.

At least this is how it was explained to me back in my Yammy days... so I was advised to use a synthetic blend to get the best of both worlds... the petroleum to swell the rubber seals, and the synthetic to give me the lubrication advantage.

There may be something to that theory about the seals swelling, but it really is more about the additives in the synthetic oil and the smaller molecule size.  The conventional oil over the years will fill and semi-sludge small cracks or openings in seals and gaskets, so you don't have any leaks.  However, once you switch to a full synthetic, the additives remove the semi-sludge that is filling the cracks in the seals and gaskets.  Combine that with the smaller molecules and you get leaks fairly quickly after switching.  It happened in my Ford Explorer and I'm a believer.

If you start with full synthetic in the first 10,000 miles or so, the seals and gaskets are still new and the full synthetic will protect them and give them much longer life.  I'm just not a fan of switching to full synthetic in older high mileage engines.  I would only use conventional and not even a blend, but that's me.

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
  • If you ain't froggin you ain't fishing ;)
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 05:47:36 PM »

My everyday vehicle has over 175K miles on it and I have been going with high mileage oil for quite sometime with 0 issues.

DonM

• Charter Member
    • DonMasonMusic
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 08:45:40 PM »

197K on my 06 Expedition.  Never used anything but Motor Craft synthetic.  Runs like new!
Had all the coils replaced last week, and gas mileage improved significantly.  :)
It's a year later...now going on 210,000 with no problems.  I routinely go 7000 or so between changes. 
DonM
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 5.186 seconds with 23 queries.