Lew's Carbon Fire Combo.

Started by topdsm0138, February 19, 2018, 06:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topdsm0138

So my son wants this Lew's Carbon Fire spinning combo he saw at Dick's. It's a 6' 6" 1 piece Med action rod with reel. Anyone have any input on this setup? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

Mike Cork

Lew's is decent equipment. How old is your son, how well will he treat it?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

pjl63

I use the Lew's Carbon Fire rod 7'0" M/F as my only spinning rig.  It's a very decent rod.  It's IM8 carbon, so it's higher quality than the American Hero, on par with the white Speed rods.  The reels don't have a very good reputation, though, and I opted for a clearance-priced Daiwa.

SteelHorseCowboy

I think he's bout the same age as mine, tween-early teen, and seems a pretty responsible kid if I recall correctly.

Top, my dad got my son the cheaper model Lew's Speed Spin combo for Christmas. Almost identical to the reel I got, but with a Lew's rod. It's a two piece, 6' medium I believe.
I've felt for a while now that one of the biggest disadvantages he's had is that he hasn't had equipment he likes or equipment he can get along with. He LOVES that rod and reel.

The Carbon Fire should be well above my walmart special reel in the quality department, and that rod should be well above my son's rod.
Not to mention, kids the age of ours are gonna LOVE that color scheme! Making it fun for them is part of what's going to keep them fishing, and what's funner to a kid than catching a fish and looking like a total bad azz while they're doing it?

I say go for it. And it seems Lew's wants to give away all the hats they can, try to find him one that matches if it comes with a free one!

topdsm0138

Yup, he's turning 13 in April. I bought him one, but got a 1 piece 7' rod instead. Dicks even gave me a 2yr warranty with it as well. He just wanted something on my level for once and has been taking great care of the Abu Garcia Black Max combo I got him. Thanks for the input, I will post up any issues that arise with it.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

TheLastRodBender

last 3 baitcast reels I've purchased have been carbon fires... had 2 buddies do the same thing since they used mine.  Great reels for and burners at that. 

Bassee

I've seen a lot of positive reviews on Carbon Fire. I'm planning to purchase that too.