Flipping, Pitching, Dragging

Started by Butchy12, February 23, 2018, 08:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butchy12

I'm itching to get into the DX lineup this season.  I currently own a DC 733, 734, 744, and a 735.  My gap I'm trying to fill is 3/4 oz football/swing jig for dragging but also would like to use it for flipping 1oz and an occasional 1.25 oz weights.  I know this is a large task for one rod but I have faith in Dobyns rods!  I could use my DC 735 for flipping but nice to have a couple of options, especially if I have a frog tied on that rod.  With a young family I'm focusing on quality/multi-purpose rods vs quantity.  In my research the DX745 and DX784 have turned up most often.  The deepest I'd be fishing is 25ft so I'm leaning towards the DX745 but would like to hear from the experts. 

BK

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

bhodge

Butchy, you have two choices. Both are the 6 powers. I have had every rod you named and spent the last six months switching from the Champion series to the extreme Dx or HP series.I currently have the 736C for the heavy stuff and it is way stronger than the 745Dx i have. I just recently asked Mike Cort if there was lot of difference between the 736c and the 746DX and he indicated no.
The 784 will fall way short on the over 1 oz stuff. So if your budget will allow for it the 746Dx.

I can say this as well. The 795DX flip is a great open water jig rod as well and may be an option as well.
It can also be a backup A rig rod and of course it is a flip stick

Butchy12

Hmmm...the dx 746 wasn't on my radar but I like the idea.  It kinda fills a void I have for heavier applications.  In the lure weight spectrum (3/8 - 2 oz) is it too much power for a 1/2 to 3/4 oz football jig?  Meaning for castability and sensitivity?

Dink Dawg

The techniques and weights you have described point to the 795. If you threw out the 1 and 1.5 ounce the 745 would be the ticket. I still think the 746 , any 6 power is a head basher. One thing is certain however, the 746 for some reason is extremely sensitive.  This may be the result of the power. I think Gary wanted a power that could reel up a 10 horse outboard that fell off a crappie boat.

Butchy12

I guess the last post begs the question am I asking too much out of one rod?  Do I go with a dx745 and go with a lower end Dobyns model that comfortably handles 1.5oz when heavier applications are needed?  I fish MN so our heavy vegetation I predominantly fish includes rice, reeds, rushes, and milfoil but don't find myself reaching for 1.5 oz very often.

Dink Dawg

Butchy,  no one knows another anglers budget.  You are asking a lot. I think the Extreme 745 is amazing and does so much but when you move above 3/4 ounce you are really pushing the proverbial envelope.The heavy flip and punch could be covered well with a Sierra 766 or a refurbed 805 Flip & Punch to save you some money.

zippyduck

Quote from: Butchy12 on February 23, 2018, 09:31:51 AM
Hmmm...the dx 746 wasn't on my radar but I like the idea.  It kinda fills a void I have for heavier applications.  In the lure weight spectrum (3/8 - 2 oz) is it too much power for a 1/2 to 3/4 oz football jig?  Meaning for castability and sensitivity?

Sensitivity on The DX746 is off the chart. And castability in 1/2 to 3/4 oz wil be no problem especially with a trailer.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Butchy12

That helps guys.  I'm going to sell my St Croix LTB lite flipping to offset the cost of a DX.  Thus the reason to fill a couple of voids.  I may have to make the 745 work dual purpose this summer and take DDs advice move into a flip next year if it's too much.  Is the 745 and 746 equally sensitive?

bhodge

sensitivity wise,they are so close if not the same I do not believe a mortal man could tell the difference. lol
as to casting, the smaller stuff will be a bit easier on the 45 and the heavy stuff a tad easier on the 46.
The real  noticeable difference will be when you have a fish on and 5lbs of salad. That's when the 6 power excels. 

if in a tournament or money on the line the 6 will be awesome.

Mostly it's preference. 

spencerinstl

The DX 745 is sweet 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz jig rod.  If your wanting to move up to 1 oz and above, I would go with the DX 795 Flip, a very sensitive flipping/light punching rod with some tip to it.