Live Target Sunfish

Started by FlatsNBay, February 24, 2018, 10:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

Is anybody as disappointed as me with the Live Target Sunfish? I have 2 of the smaller size and have given them a fair test for the last 2 years. For some of the time the action is incredible! The bait easily walks back and forth and actually pops completely out of the water like a fleeing bait. Other times, it easily fills up with water and sinks like a rock. I have to squeeze the water out on every cast. The most disappointing thing is the hook up ratio. It stinks, even with the hooks bent out slightly. I love frog fishing and have used a variety of frogs and every one of them has a better hook up ratio than the LT Sunfish. I was using the Sunfish the other day and was like 1 fish landed and 6 fish lost even after letting them take it for a few seconds. It seems like they always come unbuttoned! Anybody else share my disappointment or have you really had good success with the bait?

cport

Quote from: FlatsNBay on February 24, 2018, 10:04:52 AM
Is anybody as disappointed as me with the Live Target Sunfish? I have 2 of the smaller size and have given them a fair test for the last 2 years. For some of the time the action is incredible! The bait easily walks back and forth and actually pops completely out of the water like a fleeing bait. Other times, it easily fills up with water and sinks like a rock. I have to squeeze the water out on every cast. The most disappointing thing is the hook up ratio. It stinks, even with the hooks bent out slightly. I love frog fishing and have used a variety of frogs and every one of them has a better hook up ratio than the LT Sunfish. I was using the Sunfish the other day and was like 1 fish landed and 6 fish lost even after letting them take it for a few seconds. It seems like they always come unbuttoned! Anybody else share my disappointment or have you really had good success with the bait?
I've thrown it a few times. Caught one on the second cast, pretty much hooked itself.  Then I had another one where I let it take it and missed. I agree it has a great action, and does attract strikes, but my 50 percent ratio doesn't provide much info I'm afraid

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Lipripper

I think Lou has fish with them also. I think he did a report on them somewhere. I could be wrong but I'm sure he will see this and let us know.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Capt. BassinLou

Flats...yes. I'm highly disappointed with the HB sunfish. They tear easily and the counter weight lip rips easy, rendering the bait useless.  This bait is doing so bad, TW is giving away free HB sunfish, when you purchase LT HB frogs... lol

SFL BassHunter

Don't like them. Have 2 of them one of them took one water almost immediately and thats without catching any fish.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

analfisherman

TW would have to PAY ME to take one off their hands!  ::)

Take a bobber with a clip....paint it green.......clip a Treble Hook on the bottom clip.......YOU'LL HAVE TWICE THE ACTION AND IT WILL LAST 100xS LONGER.

Got two, if I can find them....willing to trade UP for a couple of 'FloatnFly' bobbers.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Deadeye

Coming out of the chute so to speak, they looked great. I had several BIG Blow Ups while using them but can't remember ever hooking a fish with them.

I bought several in different sizes and colors, and even bought a box sized right to hold them in. I thought they were really going to be the Real Deal.

Can't remember when I used one last. Huge disappointment.

nats

The guys at tactical bassn say they sit on top of the water and when a bass comes up to eat one,the push of water knocks it up and causes a bad hook up rate, they say if you put a couple split shot inside it will greatly improve the hookup ratio by keeping it in the water better, if you already have one it's worth a try

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: nats on February 25, 2018, 01:27:49 PM
The guys at tactical bassn say they sit on top of the water and when a bass comes up to eat one,the push of water knocks it up and causes a bad hook up rate, they say if you put a couple split shot inside it will greatly improve the hookup ratio by keeping it in the water better, if you already have one it's worth a try

Hooking up was never an issue for me. I was fortunate to stick several fish with the Sunfish. I enjoyed the way it walked and moved, but sadly that was about it. Something about the design of the bait that makes it susceptible to tearing and taking on water quickly. The area around the counter weight tore so easily, that you had to keep adjusting the counter weight or the bait will take on water and sink quickly.

The only time I have had that issue with the LT frogs is when I have caught a considerable amount of fish  and the frog eventually tears due to the abuse. The sunfish becomes damaged on only a few fish and at $13 per sunfish, you would expect better.

basss

I'm glad I read this, I was thinking about getting one; not anymore.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard