Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Piscifun Phantom Review  (Read 5417 times)

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
Piscifun Phantom Review
« on: February 25, 2018, 07:09:19 PM »

Piscifun Phantom
Initial Review

First of all let me break down the specs for you:
Bearings 7 (6 Stainless steel ball bearings + 1 roller bearing)
Gear Ratio 7:0:1
Retrieve Per Turn 30.3
Max Drag 17lbs
Weight 5.7oz
Mono Capacity 10lb/120yds
Braid Capacity 30/120yds
Aircraft grade aluminum main gear
One piece carbon frame
Dual brake system centrifugal and magnetic
Machined aluminum spool
Triple carbon fiber drag system
Compact bent extended carbon handle

I wanted to test out a carbon reel and this one was inexpensive. I figured it would go well on my 13 Fishing Defy Cranking Rod. I received it the other day and spooled it up with 40lb braid and paired it with the rod. I was happy to find the Carbon frame did not bow when tightening down the reel seat on that rod like the graphite reel I had on there. See what would happen was the reel would bow and line won't come off it. This means I couldn't tighten the reel seat completely and therefore while fishing there was always a little side to side play that bothered me.
The Phantom passed it's first test and showed that Carbon frame was more rigid than Graphite.
I opened up the reel and took a look at the brake settings. The centrifugal brakes work by turning them on the spool. It is a 6 pin system. The magnetic brake is on the outside and is a 0-10, but you can set it to .5 as well. So in reality it has 20 settings. I placed the internal brakes at 0 and magnetic at 5 to start. Today when I took the reel out to play I found I had 5-10 MPH winds coming from my left mainly and gusts from behind me. I was able to test casting out casting sort of with the wind and started off with a spook. It made the long cast with ease and no backlashes. I then dropped the brakes down all the way to 2 without issue.
Then I tied on a spinnerbait oz. I started to chuck it around and then started to make long casts with it as well. My casts were well over 60 yards by the looks of how much line was coming off my spool.
Later on I tied a 1/16oz bullet weight, 3/0 hook and a 4 stick bait. I switched rods for this and put it on a 6'5 Heavy rod. Not the best for this particular test, but the reel surprised me and made very good, long and accurate casts. I then went against the wind with this same set up and found no issues with backlashes or overruns and I was able to cast far enough to hit my strike zones. 25-35 yards away with the right amount of thumbing and a low brake setting.
In all honesty I was expecting to be pulling line out of the reel constantly, and having all kinds of casting issues, but that was not the case at all.
The reel passed test number two: Casting

Test number three is smoothness. The turning of the handle is very smooth and effortless. Retrieving is also extremely smooth. In fact the reel seems to have some serious cranking power. On the Defy rod, I could feel the spinnerbait spinning  yet cranking was buttery smooth and very effortless. I've used more expensive reels that require a workout to reel in a big spinnerbait.
Though I was only able to catch two fish on it and they weren't very big, I did test the drag out by hand and it also felt very smooth for a reel that costs less than 80 dollars. Overall this reel passed this test as well.
The handle as a tiny bit of side to side play and the knobs do as well, but that would not deter me from buying another one if I was looking for an inexpensive reel.
The Piscifun Phantom is a very lightweight reel and it palms nice for me. It does have a somewhat hollow feel to it though which I would maybe attribute it to the weight being so low along with the Carbon Fiber frame. This doesn't take away from the reel in my opinion because the reel does feel sturdy and rigid.
The little things are also all done right! What do I mean by that? Well everything that should click, clicks. There are reels in the hundred dollar range and higher that don't have these details. The thumb bar is sturdy and clicks hard when you push it down. The drag star, tension knob and brakes all click. The handle is 105mm long which I love because of my large hands. The knobs are EVA and thick which makes them easy to hold. The line guide is a large oval shape, much like the older Daiwa Zillion for example.

Ok, ok, so somethings got to give right? What is wrong with this reel? Well I honestly haven't found anything to deter me from buying the reel. However, I am still skeptical about it's long term durability. I am sure if anyone who knows anything about the internals of a reel opens it up, I am sure they will find plastic parts that they may not like, or other materials used they would prefer to be higher quality. How well the reel will hold up will be interesting to see.
I intend fish this reel hard to see what it can and can't do and to see how it holds up.

It's not easy to see in pictures but the Phantom is clearly larger than the Lews Team Lite but weighs the same. Which I think is what gives it that more hollow feel.
The reel is slightly larger of that Tatula CT and palms simlarly to it.
It is slightly smaller than the Tatula Tactical, though difficult to tell in the pictures. It also palms a lot better. The Tactical is a fairly big reel. The weight difference is huge.

After a close inspection of the spool bearing, I noticed it is heavily greased. Probably meaning the reel overall is heavily greased. This might be a good thing for those who never get their reels cleaned and lubricated.

BTW my opinion is completely unbias. I have no affiliation with Piscifun. This is the first reel of theirs I purchase. This is simply a review of a reel for those of you who prefer using a reel as a tool, and don't want or need a high end reel. Or someone who is in a serious budget.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:19:10 PM by SFL BassHunter »
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
  • If you ain't froggin you ain't fishing ;)
Re: Piscifun Phantom Review
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 07:35:12 PM »

Great review Rick!! Thank you for the write up.

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
  • Ultimate Bass Life Member & LSCR Club Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 07:39:32 PM »

Rick tks for sharing this with us.  I've never have heard of or seen this reel.  Where did you purchase it from?
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax
G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat 2 Stroke Yamaha 25 outboard

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 07:43:45 PM »

Rick tks for sharing this with us.  I've never have heard of or seen this reel.  Where did you purchase it from?

I got it directly from their .com. It's on sale and 15% off coupon.
They sell all kinds of fishing gear.
You can get them on ebay and amazon as well. They have other reels and some cheaper options too. But what drew me to this particular one was the weight.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 12:17:48 AM »

Nice review Rick. I also would be interested in how it holds up. Especially since you put the casting to the test and it passed.
It looks like a great starter reel.   
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

DonM

• Charter Member
    • DonMasonMusic
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 01:19:26 AM »

I went to the site and they only had left hand, but that's what I want.  Additional 10% off makes the total including shipping $61.  So I may have one for sale soon.  :)
DonM

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 05:55:58 AM »

I'd be interested in the long term, it sounds like a pretty decent reel though Rick.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 06:12:26 AM »

Nice review Rick. I also would be interested in how it holds up. Especially since you put the casting to the test and it passed.
It looks like a great starter reel.   
Zippy I think it could be a good starter reel if it holds up.
Big if. You never know with Chinese stuff lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
Piscifun Phantom Review
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 06:13:55 AM »

I went to the site and they only had left hand, but that's what I want.  Additional 10% off makes the total including shipping $61.  So I may have one for sale soon. 
Don I actually found it through my Facebook I went to their site and added to my cart. Then went and researched it some. When I logged back into Facebook they had given me a code for 15% off extra.
So I went for it. Thats how I got my 15% off.

First time Facebooks advertisement has got me lol

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 06:17:25 AM by SFL BassHunter »
Florida Bass Fishing

analfisherman

• Ultimate Basser
  • HOOKS, LIES AND ALIBIES
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 09:38:25 AM »

GREAT, THOROUGH REVIEW!   ~c~ ~c~
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 09:59:03 AM »

GREAT, THOROUGH REVIEW!   ~c~ ~c~

Coming from you then I know it was thorough! Happy it meets the analfisherman standards.   ~beer~
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 11:00:53 AM »

Thanks for such a great in depth review Rick  ~c~ I hope it holds up for you and you get lots of fish on it.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

mygreenihc

• Charter Member
  • Roll Tide
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 03:02:29 PM »

Nice write-up Rick.  i have been planning to get one of these just to see what the quality was.  I have seen quite a few different versions of the Chinese reels and they all look good.  I know that the quality will be lower,  but even with higher end reels it is getting to where it is hit or miss.  I bough two new Team Lews lites and one is great and the other is noisy and loose.

Brad

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 03:27:48 PM »

Nice write-up Rick.  i have been planning to get one of these just to see what the quality was.  I have seen quite a few different versions of the Chinese reels and they all look good.  I know that the quality will be lower,  but even with higher end reels it is getting to where it is hit or miss.  I bough two new Team Lews lites and one is great and the other is noisy and loose.
Brad
LMG had to repair my Team Lews Lite. The handle kept coming off. Apparently I'm not allowed to take handles off my reels anymore. Somehow something or another was bent...
Anyways got it back used it and the front broke under the line guide while bringing in a fish. Apparently because I place my finger there I applied too much pressure and this reel isn't solid there, it has those little windows. The thin piece at the bottom cracked.
:-/
Florida Bass Fishing

ItsJason

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 03:32:21 PM »

Coming from someone who doesn't have a lot of money, I've tried most of the "cheaper" reels and Piscifun is by far the best I've come across. Id even go as far to say best for the money, period. Spin, fly, or baitcast. I have some of their reels with literally thousands of hours on them, and never, not once had a problem with any of them. Like anything else, proper maintenance goes a long way, but take care of them and they'll take care of you. I hot rid of my Sage's once I discovered Piscifun.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 03:39:38 PM »

Coming from someone who doesn't have a lot of money, I've tried most of the "cheaper" reels and Piscifun is by far the best I've come across. Id even go as far to say best for the money, period. Spin, fly, or baitcast. I have some of their reels with literally thousands of hours on them, and never, not once had a problem with any of them. Like anything else, proper maintenance goes a long way, but take care of them and they'll take care of you. I hot rid of my Sage's once I discovered Piscifun.

Good to know someone has had good experiences with the brand.
My I ask how often you service your Piscifun Baitcasters and have you found any improvement after cleaning them out and lubricating them yourself? Reason I ask is because I noticed a lot of grease on the bearing. I suspect I would get better performance out of it by cleaning the reel or at least the bearings and using bearing oil instead.
Florida Bass Fishing

ItsJason

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 03:47:12 PM »

I do all of my reels twice a year. Probably more than most people, but I either wade, tube or kayak, so they get exposed/dunked more than most.
Couldn't say if the performance was better vs new, I never serviced a new reel. Definitely better when I do service them, but thats after harsh use so not saying much.
Though, I am going to be ordering another baitcaster (torrent) for a personal custom build I'm working on and am considering trying a supertune.

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 03:51:39 PM »

I do all of my reels twice a year. Probably more than most people, but I either wade, tube or kayak, so they get exposed/dunked more than most.
Couldn't say if the performance was better vs new, I never serviced a new reel. Definitely better when I do service them, but thats after harsh use so not saying much.
Though, I am going to be ordering another baitcaster (torrent) for a personal custom build I'm working on and am considering trying a supertune.

Oh ok. Thanks for the info. Yeah you certainly expose yours to the elements a bit.
I get mine serviced once a year. I do fish them often though. Bank fishing mostly.
Florida Bass Fishing

ItsJason

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 04:00:52 PM »

Oh ok. Thanks for the info. Yeah you certainly expose yours to the elements a bit.
I get mine serviced once a year. I do fish them often though. Bank fishing mostly.
I'm hardest on my fly reels while wading. Tend to dunk the conventional gear a lot in tubes too. Not as bad in the kayak, but they get sprayed, dripped on quite a bit.
The piscifun fly reels are absolutely bueatiful. Not much mechanically to a fly reel, but 100% machined from solid stock and anodized.
I also have the habit of enjoying big carp on light spin gear. Catch a lot of 15 even 20+ pound fish on a little Piscifun Honor 2000, and it does great.

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 05:20:51 PM »

Anyways got it back used it and the front broke under the line guide while bringing in a fish. Apparently because I place my finger there I applied too much pressure and this reel isn't solid there, it has those little windows. The thin piece at the bottom cracked.
:-/

Now you are crushing reels too?? Geesh hulk, settle down!!  ~roflmao

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 06:37:28 PM »

Now you are crushing reels too?? Geesh hulk, settle down!!  ~roflmao

Bro its not me! Weak plastic!

That bottom piece there is thin and weak. Bad design.

Florida Bass Fishing

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2018, 06:40:30 PM »

Bro its not me! Weak plastic!

That bottom piece there is thin and weak. Bad design.

Uh huh.... I have heard this before, right before you go into hulk smash mode.... lmao!!

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Dobyns, Daiwa, LSCR, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 10:50:05 PM »

Uh huh.... I have heard this before, right before you go into hulk smash mode.... lmao!!

Heck his thumb is bigger than the reel. No wonder it broke.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 05:43:58 AM »

Heck his thumb is bigger than the reel. No wonder it broke.
Yeah I got big ol sausage fingers. Good for some things not for others lol.
The lews team lite is a tiny reel.

Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 05:33:50 AM »

Hoping to try the reel again this weekend and hopefully stick some good fish to see how it does.

Florida Bass Fishing
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 24 queries.