Trout Rod and Reel

Started by MarkusBett18, February 27, 2018, 12:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkusBett18

Greetings Y'all! I am going to Cabelas tomorrow and am looking to invest in a nice Trout spinning rod (Ultra Light) and Reel, If you know of one that is under the price of $200, I'd appropriate it! thanks guys.
><(((º>        <º)))><

Lipripper

I've never been to Cabelas but I use an Ugly stick UL with a $30 Browning model BSL500D reel on it. BPS has the reel on sell for $29.99 and I have landed lots of Bass and Crappies on it and some big cat fish also so it should handle a trout. 

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Oldfart9999

Check out the Fenwick HMX series if they have them in stock, really nice rod and you can put a better reel on them for the money you want to spend.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

JDV

I purchased the St. Croix panfish series 6'9" ultra light rod for this exact purpose ($120 at Cabelas) for my 1st season of trout fishing.   I paired it with a Shimano Nasci 1000 reel and 4lb Trilene XL and have absolutely LOVED it.  It's rated 1/32 - 3/16, and I find it casts lures down to 1/16 decent, 1/12 well, and 1/8 to 3/16oz very well.   

I caught over 75 trout, 30 something bluegill and about 100 bass on it this winter throwing small spoons and inline spinners with the biggest bass being about 3.5 lbs down to some little 4-5" dinks.   It has handled everything extremely well, is incredibly fun to fish with and I absolutely would get another or recommend it.  I've actually thrown a Lucky Craft pointer 65 3/16oz jerkbait on it and caught a ton of bass with that as well, so it will be decently versatile, and handles the upper end of it's lure range well.

njpaulc

Used to work in a sporting goods store and this guy came in one night and picked out a 12 lb class trolling rod, with roller guides and an ultra light Ryobi (shows you how long ago) reel for stream trout fishing.  He would not listen to us, swore he knew what he needed,  made his purchase and left the store.  I always expected to see the stuff show up in the returns the next few days but they never did.

WataugaLaker

My wading trout set up is a ML 7' St Croix premier with a size 30 President and 6 lb fluoro or 10 lb braid whichever you prefer. This will handle small jigs, spinners, spoons and 2-4" jerkbaits very nicely. Now, if you fish out of drift boat on tailwaters during generation I like a 7' MH with 10-12 lb fluoro or 20-30 lb braid bc I'm gonna be throwing 4-5" jerkbaits and you'll need more backbone to fight fish in swift current.