Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Reel suggestions needed  (Read 1146 times)

socal399

• Smallmouth
  • Proud Husband,Father of 2, and Hollywood Teamster
Reel suggestions needed
« on: February 28, 2018, 11:37:57 PM »

Hey just bought my fist Dobyns rod. The fury 705cb which I know isnít the most expensive rod but I have heard good things about it. Iím still a somewhat at beginner bass fishing. And have recently fell in love with fishing squarebills. So Iím looking for a great baitcaster to match this rod with but I donít really want to break the bank. Do any of u guys know a bait caster in the $100-$150 range that would be a good match for this rod? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:46:10 PM by socal399 »
Defined by what you love to do not by what you have in life

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Daiwa, LSCR, Dobyns, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
Re: Reel suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 01:24:08 AM »

I really like the Daiwa Tatula svtw in 7.2 to 1 for squarebills.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"

loomisguy

• Lunker
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 05:21:10 AM »

I'd go with the Tatula as well . In whatever ratio suits you. Personally I like something around 6:1.
 In the summer you can't take a squrebill away from them to matter how fast you burn it but when the waters cooler I like to to slow them down some.

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
Reel suggestions needed
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 05:28:04 AM »

the Tatula SV is the way to go if you can find it for 150.
If you canít the Tatula CT is a fantastic reel as well and that can be had for 100-120

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 07:01:47 AM »

Crankbaits, just get yourself a Daiwa Fuego CT and save the extra money for line and baits. No need to get an SV spool for that. The Fuego is the same reel as a Tatula, just no TWS, which I dont care for anyways.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 09:22:35 AM »

Just stick with the big names and you'll be good. I'm a Shimano fan and fish most of my cranks with a Citica. I like the 6.3:1 gear ratio but have found gear ratios are very "personal preference".

If you like a faster reel certain models of the Citica also comes in a 7:1

You can find good used ones for sale in the 80-100 range. They are pretty much indestructible. 
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 09:47:04 AM »

Crankbaits, just get yourself a Daiwa Fuego CT and save the extra money for line and baits. No need to get an SV spool for that. The Fuego is the same reel as a Tatula, just no TWS, which I dont care for anyways.

That's some sound advice there if he's only going to throw crankbaits.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Nutoy

• Largemouth
  • It aint over until the last cast
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 10:02:58 AM »

Like Mike said, any of the tops brands will treat you well. Go to a big box store and see which one "fits" you the best. Then start looking on Ebay or Amazon for a deal.
In this age of super high speed reels, I personally like the slower ratios for cranking. By lower, I'm talking 6.3:1, 6.1:1 and even 5.5:1. It's easy to overcrank a crank bait, especially square bills. If you decide to throw super deep cranks, you won't break a wrist trying to crank them with the lower ratios.

JDV

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 10:05:48 AM »

This was my exact first Dobyns rod and I paired it up with a Daiwa TatulaCT (Type R) in 6.3:1 that I got new on ebay for around $110.  The CT can be found for around $88.   The combo looks amazing and performs great!  Only thing I would prefer is a 7.1:1 ratio, but that, but either will work fine.

mygreenihc

• Charter Member
  • Roll Tide
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 01:22:26 PM »

You have a lot of good advice already and Shimano and Daiwa both make great stuff.  Another avenue that I would suggest would be a Lew's Superduty.  the Superduty is around $130 and it is a good solid reel.  It does not have a lot of bells and whistles,  but it works great and you can cast it a mile.  It is also built for use with A-rigs n such, so it should hold up for years.

Brad

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 02:03:05 PM »

You have a lot of good advice already and Shimano and Daiwa both make great stuff.  Another avenue that I would suggest would be a Lew's Superduty.  the Superduty is around $130 and it is a good solid reel.  It does not have a lot of bells and whistles,  but it works great and you can cast it a mile.  It is also built for use with A-rigs n such, so it should hold up for years.

Brad

No bells and whistles on the Super Duty? Clicking drag, clicking cast control cap, clicking brake adjuster, deep and light spool with a tie in hole for braid, 95mm aluminum handle, 11 bearings, sturdy brass gears, and almost 20lbs of drag. What is missing?  lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

mygreenihc

• Charter Member
  • Roll Tide
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »

OK,  this indicates two issues. 

First,  I apparently don't know as much about them as I am making out to.  And secondly,  anyone who knows that many details about one reel off the top of his head either has a psychological problem or does not have enough to do.

My meaning was that it is not one of their flashier models.  It looks basic and plainer than most and the price range for what you are getting makes it a better beginner baitcaster. 

Are you coming to the Guntersville rally this year?

Brad

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 02:43:27 PM »

First,  I apparently don't know as much about them as I am making out to.  And secondly,  anyone who knows that many details about one reel off the top of his head either has a psychological problem or does not have enough to do.   

Are you coming to the Guntersville rally this year?

Brad

Me?  lo

No, unfortunately I will more than likely be Maine bound this year.

Kawidaddy

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 03:00:55 PM »

First,  I apparently don't know as much about them as I am making out to.  And secondly,  anyone who knows that many details about one reel off the top of his head either has a psychological problem or does not have enough to do

post of the day  ~c~ lo

Captsteve

• Charter Member
  • Captain on Watch
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 03:06:53 PM »

oops

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Kawidaddy

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 03:18:38 PM »

yup. I'm a rookie ::)

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 04:25:13 PM »

Sorry guys, Ive played with a few reels here and there.  ;)

socal399

• Smallmouth
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 04:40:18 PM »

I think I narrowed it down to these two reels .
Lew's BB1 Pro Speed Spool 7.1:1 Casting Reel PRS1SHZ

AND

Shimano Curado 7.2:1 CU70HG Casting Reel

What do u guys think? I have a couple lewd speed spools that I love and i donít really have any experience itís Shimano except for an old Caius I started out with years ago!
But I did love that reel too! And I can get both for a great deal on that auction site. Which one guys? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 06:22:21 PM »

There is nothing you cant do with a Curado 50 or 70. They are pretty versatile in the way they handle. The BB1 was really meant to hold some line and toss some distance. Can hold higher test with enough capacity. The 70 has a more shallow spool to help with lighter baits.

<")))>{

pjl63

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 06:40:28 AM »

I have both the Curado K and the 70. The 70 has a smaller reel and is intended more for plastics and throwing lighter weights. Might be happier with the Curado K for crankbaits. Iím loving the feel of the micro gearing on the K as well. Both reels are excellent though and the SVS braking system is fantastic.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 06:43:31 AM by pjl63 »

1ReelFanatik

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 09:41:14 PM »

12/160 vs 12/85.  Both listed at 6.5 oz.  95mm vs 84mm handle.  In this instance I would go with the Lew's.  I think you would about spool the Curado with some lures.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 12:00:43 AM »

I will just say I use Lew's heavily I constantly use about 10 Lew's reels. For the money many times comparing actual specs of the reels I find them hard to beat. To me they are as good as if not better than the offerings from the other manufacturers at similar price points IMHO.

The Lew's BB1 will more than handle any crankbaits. As has been said it has a large spool capacity 160/12 and the BB1 has always been a reel to cast for distance. The Centrifugal Braking to me was a nice upgrade in recent years as well. Great casting distance just so happens to be what you need when cranking. The deeper your cranking the longer you really want to cast to get down to the strike zone and stay there as long as possible. I know some prefer the low gears and I have some as well but most crankbaits that run roughly 12ft or less I have no problem with the 7.1:1 range gears maybe the larger 95mm handle helps? 

I don't have that exact model of a BB1 I have the BB1SHZ in 7.1:1 and a BB2HZ in 6.4:1 both will cast a mile, are smooth as most any other reel, and have been very reliable for me. The difference in gearing is really arguable as to how much it changes anything. About 3" difference in IPT and that is a varying number depending on where your at with line on the spool.

All that being said if you can get the Super Duty for the same money I would give it the nod first as I just like mine ever so slightly better. It still holds plenty of line and is well built super duty like.  ;D

I do not use Shimano so Ill leave the Shimano guys to offer suggestions on those. I will say as others have indicated stay with a name brand and a popular model and you should be fine.
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here
IBASS CLASSIC 2018 3rd place / IBASS 2017 4th place 

socal399

• Smallmouth
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 12:33:11 AM »

Well guys I couldnít decide lol! I ended up buy the Curado first and then the next day I ended up buying the bb1. But I figured which ever one I didnít like I will just return. The place I got the reels from has a no questions ask 30 day return policy! So I think either way Iíll be able to decide by than lol

1ReelFanatik

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 05:57:04 AM »

Well guys I couldnít decide lol! I ended up buy the Curado first and then the next day I ended up buying the bb1. But I figured which ever one I didnít like I will just return. The place I got the reels from has a no questions ask 30 day return policy! So I think either way Iíll be able to decide by than lol

Good deal and the best way to do it.  I just question the fact that you plan on returning one.  Ain't going to happen.   lo

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 07:24:18 AM »

Good deal and the best way to do it.  I just question the fact that you plan on returning one.  Ain't going to happen.   lo
Aww come on man. Donít ruin his moment of happiness. He will find out itís a addiction very soon.  lo

To the OP not a bad idea you can see what fits your hand, feel the weight difference and see how you like it on your rod.
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here
IBASS CLASSIC 2018 3rd place / IBASS 2017 4th place 
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 23 queries.