A Rig in FL

Started by FlatsNBay, March 01, 2018, 01:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

Any of you guys consistently fish an A Rig or Umbrella Rig in Florida? I got one a few years ago and caught some fish here and there at my neighborhood ponds but nothing great. I just can't get fired up about it for some reason. I may try to fish it some this year in the areas that I get a good crankbait bite on for schooling fish. Anybody else like or use them?

LgMouthGambler

Nah. Too dang taxing to throw all that weight for me. Ill stick to a simple Gambler EZ.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Kris

I figure the Umbrella/A rig is too resistant to throw for any amount of time. Also, State of Maryland only allows two hooks on one line at any time. I bought a Live Target Baitball Spinner close to the end of last Season but have not really given it a fair shake at this point. I think for me it might be a hit during this Season.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

BarryFL

Quote from: FlatsNBay on March 01, 2018, 01:51:23 PM
Any of you guys consistently fish an A Rig or Umbrella Rig in Florida? I got one a few years ago and caught some fish here and there at my neighborhood ponds but nothing great. I just can't get fired up about it for some reason. I may try to fish it some this year in the areas that I get a good crankbait bite on for schooling fish. Anybody else like or use them?
Walt is the only person I know that throws one. Maybe he'll chime in later.

-Barry-

~Barry~

Reservoir Runner

I have fished them down here, haven't really had any success with them. I think they work better where you have a lot of aquatic vegetation, just a thought.

cport

If you do decide to start throwing it, Matt at Tactical Bassin gives a clinic in this video, great info.
http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=140530.0
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Reservoir Runner

Quote from: Kris on March 01, 2018, 02:12:48 PM
I figure the Umbrella/A rig is too resistant to throw for any amount of time. Also, State of Maryland only allows two hooks on one line at any time. I bought a Live Target Baitball Spinner close to the end of last Season but have not really given it a fair shake at this point. I think for me it might be a hit during this Season.          Kris- you can put 2 baits with a hook on the outside arms and attach the inner baits with those bait attachment corkscrews. I had one I bought off EBay, I cut it down to 3 baits and rigged it in this manner when I would fish them up your way.

Kris

Quote from: Reservoir Runner on March 01, 2018, 03:02:21 PMKris- you can put 2 baits with a hook on the outside arms and attach the inner baits with those bait attachment corkscrews. I had one I bought off EBay, I cut it down to 3 baits and rigged it in this manner when I would fish them up your way.
I know a couple of people who modified them to use here without much luck. I figure this Live Target Baitball might just be an easy substitution. One hook, three spinners.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

SFL BassHunter

I used one for about 15 min and caught a fish, then I lost it. Haven't used one since, but like LMG says its very taxing especially if you have back issues. I have thought about throwing it again, just haven't gotten around to it. I need a new one.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Deadeye

Well I have and it has produced fish for me when nothing else was working.

Is it some kind of Magic Bait?  No.

Like any lure there is a time and place for it. Throwing it in Pad Fields or a place loaded with Kissimmee Grass or Hydrilla is not going to happen.

Using it along a ledge/edge line where there is a depth change works great.

Rolling through schooling or known schooling areas can be productive.

I've used it as a search bait along the pad line and caught fish. In a mouth area where two waters meet and caught fish.

Basically anywhere where a Predator Fish would be staged to catch an easy meal.

They are not hard to throw if you are set up correctly. I use an 8 ft Heavy Punching rod with a Lews Super Duty spooled with 65 lb braid.

Use a two-handed toss and sort of lock the butt under your rod arm as you retrieve. I've use it for 4-5 hrs non stop with no issues. And the problems with my back are well known on here.

I like using 1/8 or 1/4 jig heads. Heavier will run deeper. My best so far is 3 on one cast but I have caught 2 several times.

Best one so far for me is the Flash Mob Jr, however the rods break after being bent and rebent. I'm looking at the Strike King Titanium one for longer life. 

FlatsNBay

Thanks for the info fellas. I had a couple of times last year when I caught 2 at the same time on the same cast on a crankbait so I think that the A Rig would destroy them when that happens. I just have to remember to use it!

SteveTX

I actually tried running mine this year a little but nothing was working really good at that time. I have back issues as well but that isn't why I don't like it. I just hate casting it period. Its heavy and I don't like lob cast. Also it uses a lot of $ to keep one rigged. I have caught fish with it but no huge ones heck not even any real nice ones. Guess it kind a has a bad look to me in several categories.

Champriderz

When they first got popular I had a couple of really good days.  That was in cold weather and I really think it a better winter time lure. My best days have been when the lake was really pulling hard by fishing around current breaks.  I pretty much quit fishing it because it aggravates my wrists but when it is working it does catch em. It also can foul hook them and they end up with several hooks in their bodies.

I also agree with SteveTx, t ain't a lot of fun to throw and it aggravates my bad wrists so I don't throw it often for long periods.

big g

Too many problems, and too taxing on the body for a relaxing day on the water. ~rant
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Lipripper

Quote from: big g on April 11, 2018, 07:52:12 PM
Too many problems, and too taxing on the body for a relaxing day on the water. ~rant
I hear ya George I have enough trouble throwing a one hook lure all day long.  ~sweat

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Canesfan

What George said.  Too much work and usually too much vegetation.

WTodd

Ok I have one and throw it occasionally but I've never caught a fish on it🤬 And you better be in shape because it takes some effort to throw it for any period of time. I even changed out one of the white soft baits on it with a watermelon green to give the fish something to think about but so far no dice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk