Beginner Bass Fishing line

Started by SharkBaited, March 01, 2018, 03:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharkBaited

Hey guys!

I just started getting more serious about fishing and purchased my first reel(Okuma Inspira ISX30B) and have a solid 12lb test rod to go with it. Im looking to mainly fish peacock bass and largemouth bass from the bank and trying to decide what line to use. I am currently using 10 lb test mono on another reel before I spool my new one. Should I keep using 10lb mono or look into braid with a flouro leader? I was initially thinking about keeping the mono since im more of a beginner but im open to other options

Thanks

LgMouthGambler

I like braid on a spinning reel better due to line management. You can always tie on a leader.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Lee Smith

Yep, braid is the way to go on spinning reels, especially learning!

Welcome to UB!!  ~c~
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

SharkBaited

How would you go about deciding what lb test braid and lb test leader to buy? My reel has a 13lb max drag if that plays any part in deciding

Lipripper

I'm guessing since you said your going to be going after peacock bass and largemouth bass you must live in Florida so if this is true be sure to stop by here and introduce yourself to all the good folks down there and welcome to Ultimate Bass.
FL CHAT

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

LgMouthGambler

The drag rating is irrelevant to the line you would put on. I will say, the 15-30lb range is a really good diameter to be throwing on a spinning reel.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SFL BassHunter

I would go with mono 12lb is a good overall test. Reason I say mono is because you won't need a leader. It sounds to me like you are in South Florida since you are fishing for Peacock and Bass.

We have fairly clear water down here in most lakes and canals. I prefer clear lines for these types of places.
If you want to fish topwater treble baits, mono will be best because fluoro sinks. So youll be able to do a lot of different things with that 1 rod and reel.

An issue I have with Braid to Fluoro is break offs. I do not like adding an extra knot to my line. This is just my personal opinion. I also do not like my knot banging through the guides.

Also swing by the Florida section, on my signature you'll find a link to the Florida Reports. Lip already posted a link to FL Chat.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: SharkBaited on March 01, 2018, 03:12:53 PM
How would you go about deciding what lb test braid and lb test leader to buy? My reel has a 13lb max drag if that plays any part in deciding
Sharkbaited welcome to UB. If you are looking to hunt for pea's and LMB, the easiest line to work with on a spinning reel would be braid. 20lb braid has about a 8lb diameter mono equivalent. Lighter braid can handle pea's easier than running the risk of a break off on 10lb mono. As far as a leader... only you will be able to detemine if they make sense to use or not. But if you do decide to use a leader with 20lb braid as your main line, the minimum leader I would use would be 15lb FC. Good luck!! We love to see pics!!

Oldfart9999

I would go with 15 to 20 lb braid, truth be known you don't really need a leader. Buy a quality product, I use Power Pro and I'm starting to use their SLICK 8 but there are other very good brands also.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SharkBaited

Wow such great advice! Thank you all. I think im going to try out the braid and see what thats all about. If I use braid without a leader, wont the fish see the line and ignore it or not necessarily?

Lee Smith

Quote from: SharkBaited on March 02, 2018, 08:56:29 AM
Wow such great advice! Thank you all. I think im going to try out the braid and see what thats all about. If I use braid without a leader, wont the fish see the line and ignore it or not necessarily?

Don't listen to all that leader stuff!  ~roflmao  Some use it, some don't, it's a brain thing, if you think it will help use it, if not don't.  Personally, I feel like with all the grass in your part of the world, how would a fish differentiate?  I've never used a leader, but I'm a punching frogging flipping guy soooooo
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: SharkBaited on March 02, 2018, 08:56:29 AM
Like I said, depends where I am fishing. Certain lakes I fish that are crystal clear and are more open water (with clumps of grass) I use clear lines.
If I am fishing places with lots of vegetation then I find no need for clear lines.
The good thing about the braid is you can easily add the leader if you think you need it. Just make sure you find a good knot and practice it. It sucks when your leader breaks off with your favorite lure attached lol.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SteelHorseCowboy

I've come to form some opinions based on my very little experience and based on reading the posts of these far more experienced anglers here.

I'm not convinced that a leader is absolutely necessary when fish will bite some lures that look like a little stick wrapped in barbed wire and some have completely unnatural colors.
Maybe braid and leader benefits finesse fishing in clear water, but I don't think anything designed to get a reaction strike would benefit from a leader.
I've personally never seen a chartreuse worm, fish, or pretty much anything of such a bright yellow green color except in decorative aquariums and plants. Not that I can remember.
I've never seen a small purple fish covered in gold glitter, yet I've caught a fish with a lucky craft rattling lipless crankbait that looks just like that.
Never seen a critter that looks or behaves like a spook, but it's my favorite topwater lure because it's caught fish.

I HAVE seen an injured frog behave like a Hula Popper.

A couple of my opinions on lines are;
Yeah, braid on a spinning reel is a great choice, almost a necessity, and I can't imagine why anyone would use mono.
My favorite mono is Sufix Pro-Mix. It's worked absolutely great for me, is dirt cheap, and I've tried quite a few mono lines whose prices would make you think they'd be much better, including the more expensive Sufix lines. I haven't tried any of what I consider "really expensive" monos, most I've paid was about $18 for mono, and I returned the unused packages and used the money for more Pro-Mix. But I'd never put mono on a spinning reel after having experienced braid on a spinning reel. But if a newer bass angler insists on using mono, I'd recommend Pro-Mix as a cheap starting point rather than getting more expensive lines and possibly being dissatisfied like I did. It seems to cost around $5 for one of the regular sized spools, but I found a one pound spool (I think) of 12# test for about $7-$8.
My opinion on braid seems to be an anomaly, I'm probably the only person here who likes Daiwa J-braid, but I've only tried two other braids: Power Pro super slick, did not like. Only used it only on one outing then spooled it onto an empty spool and it went in my desk drawer, may use it for something else later. I replaced it with Sufix 832, figured I'd give it a try on a baitcaster. LOVE IT, but still have j-braid on my spinning reels cause Sufix 832 is a bit high for me to justify buying enough to respool everything at once.
For me, thinner seems to work better on spinning reels, thicker for BC reels. Makes perfect sense when you look at the manufacturer's recommendations for each respective type. Most braids are labeled something along the lines of "12# mono equiv." To denote it's comparative thickness to mono. If you find some not labeled as such (daiwa j-braid isn't if I recall correctly), just look for one that is and compare the thickness between them, I haven't seen any yet that don't list the measured thickness.
Haven't tried fluoro, so I don't have an opinion on it.

SharkBaited

Awesome! Braid is in the near future for my reel and ill figure out the leader later if I need it. Can the 15-20lb test also be used to catch snakeheads as well? I definitely want to try to snag some of them too

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: SharkBaited on March 02, 2018, 09:38:45 AM
Awesome! Braid is in the near future for my reel and ill figure out the leader later if I need it. Can the 15-20lb test also be used to catch snakeheads as well? I definitely want to try to snag some of them too

Shouldn't be an issue.

Of course with toothy critters you always run the risk of their teeth cutting the line. But no matter what line you use that's just a risk you take.

LMG might be able to tell you more about snakeheads, he fishes for them.
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: SharkBaited on March 02, 2018, 09:38:45 AM
No. You need "thickness" for them due to their teeth and the way they fight. Would be a good idea to run a 15 to 20lb mono leader for abrasion purposes.

<")))>{

SharkBaited

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on March 02, 2018, 10:02:56 AM
No. You need "thickness" for them due to their teeth and the way they fight. Would be a good idea to run a 15 to 20lb mono leader for abrasion purposes.

<")))>{

Alright, then ill have this setup for bass and eventually get something else for snakeheads

analfisherman

One and only suggestion/idea.
LMG is very correct....most think of leaders as a prevention to line detection.....in reality more folks who use a leader....it's for ABBRASION RESISTANCE.

Doing a braid to mono leader knot can be challenging.....ESPECIALLY if you decide to use some these newer "Slick' type braids.
They are 'SLICK' and line slippage at the knot point can and will 'slip'.

So, I recomend newer anglers to get a simple swivel.

You can tie your favorite knot easily and STRONG.
One end to braid...one end to leader line.

Swivels come in all sizes including very small.
Most have a Pound Test rating also.
You want the 'Barrel Swivels and yes the spendier ones have better swivels....hence latter you may want 'better' as opposed to 'cheapest' but none of them are very SPENDY.

Important thing is......you can try straight braid......then try a leader....then try different leader lengths....different TEST leaders.....ALL RIGHT ON THE WATER and you don't need to worry about or learn a NEW knot.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

SharkBaited

Quote from: analfisherman on March 02, 2018, 10:43:04 AM
One and only suggestion/idea.
LMG is very correct....most think of leaders as a prevention to line detection.....in reality more folks who use a leader....it's for ABBRASION RESISTANCE.

Doing a braid to mono leader knot can be challenging.....ESPECIALLY if you decide to use some these newer "Slick' type braids.
They are 'SLICK' and line slippage at the knot point can and will 'slip'.

So, I recomend newer anglers to get a simple swivel.

You can tie your favorite knot easily and STRONG.
One end to braid...one end to leader line.

Swivels come in all sizes including very small.
Most have a Pound Test rating also.
You want the 'Barrel Swivels and yes the spendier ones have better swivels....hence latter you may want 'better' as opposed to 'cheapest' but none of them are very SPENDY.

Important thing is......you can try straight braid......then try a leader....then try different leader lengths....different TEST leaders.....ALL RIGHT ON THE WATER and you don't need to worry about or learn a NEW knot.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

Interesting! I've never heard of such a thing before but this could potentially "bridge the gap" while i learn knots for leaders. The only knot i currently know is the palomar knot so this can be very useful

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Lee Smith on March 02, 2018, 09:21:33 AM
Don't listen to all that leader stuff!  ~roflmao  Some use it, some don't, it's a brain thing, if you think it will help use it, if not don't.  Personally, I feel like with all the grass in your part of the world, how would a fish differentiate?  I've never used a leader, but I'm a punching frogging flipping guy soooooo

I used a leader a lot, then after reading what Bo James was saying I started tying direct with braid, catch rates stayed the same even in clear water. I caught my personal best on my home water, 5.46 clear water with 15 lb Power Pro tied direct to a 3/32 ned rig.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.