Jigs

Started by MarkusBett18, March 02, 2018, 11:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkusBett18

Hey guys! Recently I've been wondering what weight of jigs you guys use. Personally I use 3/4oz Tungsten Flipping Jig mostly all time, whether its 2ft or 15ft of water, cover or not. How about you guys?!.  ~cf ~fff

-Sorry for posting in the wrong Sub-Reddit
><(((º>        <º)))><

LgMouthGambler

3/8 to 1/2 for me. Mostly swim jigs though, and less than 6ft of water.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SFL BassHunter

Bottom contact jigs 3/8 to 3/4oz mostly. I've thrown 1oz jigs here and there also.

Swimjigs 3/8 to 1/2oz
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Oldfart9999

1/4 to 1 ounce, I fish a lot of grass 12-20 feet deep. Shallow mostly 1/4 to half, deep 1/2 to 1 ounce.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

zippyduck

1/4 -3/4 0z, in all conditions.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Bassin_VA

Quote from: zippyduck on March 02, 2018, 01:35:55 PM
1/4 -3/4 0z, in all conditions.
I am with you on that one. Dont use anything over 3/4

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mygreenihc

I use 3/8 and 1/2 ounce.  Mostly because I have both and cannot tell the difference when looking at them.  My preference is 3/8 in most conditions.

Brad

SteveTX

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on March 02, 2018, 12:29:58 PM
Bottom contact jigs 3/8 to 3/4oz mostly. I've thrown 1oz jigs here and there also.

Swimjigs 3/8 to 1/2oz
Exact same answer for me except I throw 1/2 oz quite a lot when shallow also

merc1997

you have to let the bass tell you what speed will trigger them to strike.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

zippyduck

Quote from: merc1997 on March 02, 2018, 05:39:56 PM

bo

What do you know about jigs. lo

If you guys don't know this is the GODFATHER of Nu-Tech jigs. And a darn good jig fisherman. When Bo talks we listen.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

njpaulc

When I started bass fishing I really relied on books and magazines.  Back in the '80's in Brooklyn there weren't any fishing shows and there wasn't much "fresh water'.  Anyway, Bassmaster regularly said use the lightest jig that you can feel the bottom.  Every time I started fishing a jig I'd use a 3/16 oz Stanley casting jig and work my way up to a 5/8 oz flippin' jig.  Had a lot of trouble casting that jig were i wanted it.

One day, I'm reading the tournament results in Bassmaster, Denny Brauer, who, in an article 30 pages ago said ".....use the lightest jig...." won a tournament flippin'  a 1/2 oz jig in 18 in of water.

Match the conditions, the wind, the cover, etc., may make it necessary to go heavier then you think you should go.  If you can't get it to the fish, they can't accept or reject your jig.  Bo is right about speed and rate of fall but sometimes it doesn't matter because of difficulties presenting the jig.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: merc1997 on March 02, 2018, 05:39:56 PM

bo

Exactatively!!! Which is why I carry what I do.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

BigFitz

Fishing jigs is one technique I've never had much luck with but always wanted to master. So this year I am committed to learning. Looking through old posts on UB has already set me in the right direction. All I need now is a sensitive bottom contact rod and for the water to get warmer than 40*.

SteveTX

Quote from: BigFitz on March 03, 2018, 04:52:19 PM
Fishing jigs is one technique I've never had much luck with but always wanted to master. So this year I am committed to learning. Looking through old posts on UB has already set me in the right direction. All I need now is a sensitive bottom contact rod and for the water to get warmer than 40*.
You will love it when the jig bite is on its great. I enjoy fishing a jig but I use it for pitching more than the traditional sit on the bottom and do the hop drag or bounce. I really enjoy setting that hook knowing you just fooled another one.  ;D

68camaro

I have 3 gram finesse all the way up to 2oz to punch thick heavy matts. My absolute favorite is 1/2 oz swim jig, I have a lot of confidence in it, 1/2oz and 3/8 are my most used. Like others say, I let fish, conditions and cover or lack there of dictate.

Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass