Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What makes big bass bite?  (Read 637 times)

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
What makes big bass bite?
« on: March 05, 2018, 08:48:22 AM »

Something I have noticed is that some days you'll go out and catch numbers. Smaller fish decide they want to eat on certain days and you can do really well.
Other days nothing will bite.
Then there are fewer days where the bigger fish will bite and the smaller ones seem to be less interested in feeding. You may not catch a large quantity of fish, but the quality will be there.

So what makes those bigger fish decide to feed when the smaller ones don't want to?

Of course this is using the same body of water as an example to take the element of "well some waters have bigger fish in them".
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Pacific NW Ron

• Ultimate Basser
Re: What makes big bass bite?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 09:27:28 AM »

I don't have the answer but I'll be watching
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • IBASS 2017 4th place 374.50"
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 01:59:16 PM »

Ive seen days that would fit into your thought process of some days favoring bigger fish vs smaller fish. I am not so sure that it is a pattern so much. Well I haven't seen enough evidence data to back that claim up from my fishing.

To me its more of putting together the correct situation to elicit the bigger fish to bite.
1. Be where big fish are.
2. Correct lure/bait
3. Presentation of the correct lure/bait
4. All of the above offered at the time when big fish are in food seeking conditions or defense mode.
5. Having all the stars, moons, and planets align correctly. lo
6. And last but not least have Stairway To Heaven playing in the background.
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 02:31:31 PM »

Ive seen days that would fit into your thought process of some days favoring bigger fish vs smaller fish. I am not so sure that it is a pattern so much. Well I haven't seen enough evidence data to back that claim up from my fishing.

To me its more of putting together the correct situation to elicit the bigger fish to bite.
1. Be where big fish are.
2. Correct lure/bait
3. Presentation of the correct lure/bait
4. All of the above offered at the time when big fish are in food seeking conditions or defense mode.
5. Having all the stars, moons, and planets align correctly. lo
6. And last but not least have Stairway To Heaven playing in the background.

I've experienced this a few times in small lakes while bank fishing.

Number 6 is the most important one I think...lol
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lee Smith

• CM Chief Community Diplomat
  • Gotta Love It!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 02:58:25 PM »

They are more app to bite when they are mad, also when they are feeding up for something: Front, Spawn, Winter, etc...   

Bigger fish will look longer at slow moving baits, if your working slow movers, work them even slower, they will also be more apt to reaction strikes than smaller fish, it's a protection thing, opportunity thing.

I have seen most of my bigger bites come when I fish very slow or very fast, even flipping and punching, I want that lure to move fast when it's through the top, I am one of the guys that has only caught one fish on the hop after a punch through a mat, hard to believe in a system when that's your results LOL.

Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 03:00:51 PM »

great thoughts out there from Bill Murphy on the subject.

again, I read that book once/year.  cover to cover.

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 03:27:02 PM »

Good info there Lee! Thanks.
Florida Bass Fishing

FlatsNBay

• Ultimate Basser
  • Go Noles!
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 07:05:46 PM »

Great question Rick! I've noticed on super clear lakes that I used to fish growing up that you would hardly ever see big bass. Then all of a sudden multiple big bass would show up out of nowhere! It was weird. For some strange reason they appeared all at the same time.  My 2 biggest bass came from such a lake on back to back casts. When they are on, it's on!

big g

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 07:39:22 PM »

A couple of other thoughts:

There are probably a thousand small bass for each really big one out there.

Little ones are faster to the bait then the bigger ones, and may become a meal if they venture too close to a bigger one while attacking. Only a small percentage survive to get big.  That's why they drop so many eggs.

Big bass ambush living organisms, while smaller ones search for food, or starve.

Its a jungle out there, and only so many top predators.  Its like football, millions of optimist players, hundreds of thousands of high school players, a few thousand college players, and only five hundred Professionals!

Location, location, location, drop a bait where the big one hangs out and you got a shot.  Not so much the bait, but the location. :-*

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:08:27 PM by big g »
(Fish) - Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

hezekiahes

• UB Member
  • Spoonplugger: IN TRAINING
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 08:03:55 PM »

great thoughts out there from Bill Murphy on the subject.

again, I read that book once/year.  cover to cover.

Which book is that? 
1990 Ranger 374v
1996 Mariner 175 HP 2.5L EFI
It's now how fast you fish, it's how well you fish fast

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 05:25:01 AM »

A couple of other thoughts:

There are probably a thousand small bass for each really big one out there.

Little ones are faster to the bait then the bigger ones, and may become a meal if they venture too close to a bigger one while attacking. Only a small percentage survive to get big.  That's why they drop so many eggs.

Big bass ambush living organisms, while smaller ones search for food, or starve.

Its a jungle out there, and only so many top predators.  Its like football, millions of optimist players, hundreds of thousands of high school players, a few thousand college players, and only five hundred Professionals!

Location, location, location, drop a bait where the big one hangs out and you got a shot.  Not so much the bait, but the location. :-*
Yup thatís very true George! The small ones for sure outnumber the big ones. But thatís why Iíve found it strange that there have been days where Iíve caught just bigger fish.
A trip to vista view comes to mind. Throwing a spinnerbait I hooked up with 5 or 6 quality fish.
Lost 2 of them in the process including a possible PB. But the quality fish were biting. The smaller fish didnít seem to be in a feeding mood. Those days are the rare ones Iím talking about. But you are right it could be about location as they were all caught in areas in close proximity to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Florida Bass Fishing

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser

hezekiahes

• UB Member
  • Spoonplugger: IN TRAINING
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 05:27:07 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/Pursuit-Giant-Bass-Bill-Murphy/dp/0963312006

Roger that.  I have that one...just read it a few months back...

Thanks for the reply. 
1990 Ranger 374v
1996 Mariner 175 HP 2.5L EFI
It's now how fast you fish, it's how well you fish fast

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 06:34:42 AM »

Florida Bass Fishing

Sandman7925

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 06:43:08 AM »

Iíve noticed that the smaller ones start feeding first. Sometimes a couple hours before the big ones. So Iíll just keep hooking dinks until the bigger fish start to feed.

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 08:01:14 AM »

Dang it, no audio book. :-(

You Millenials...don't worry, soon they'll have an SD slot behind your ear, and you can just load it in  lo
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 08:28:01 AM »

You Millenials...don't worry, soon they'll have an SD slot behind your ear, and you can just load it in  lo

Audio book is convenient since I spend 2 hours of my day in traffic. I heard all the Game of Throne books like this in a short amount of time.
Florida Bass Fishing

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 08:47:23 AM »

Audio book is convenient since I spend 2 hours of my day in traffic. I heard all the Game of Throne books like this in a short amount of time.
I know a truck driver that has probably heard more books than I have ever seen. He listens to stuff for days strait either while driving or while sitting at random truck stops. I don't think I could handle over the road stuff day in and day out. I better be getting wealthy if I am but I don't see truck drivers on the fortune 500 list.  lo

Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here

analfisherman

• Charter Member
  • HOOKS, LIES AND ALIBIES
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 09:13:00 AM »

Just a thought on the Big VS Small bite.

When the Biggies are hungry and feeding they are VERY ACTIVE and territorial.

So they may be chasing and actually stiking/feeding on the smaller ones.......hence chasing them out of the 'ZONE'.

It's amazing how big a bait a hungry Bass will try and eat.
Look at the 8" and larger 'Swimbait' Anglers.

Simply a thought.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 09:18:10 AM »

Just a thought on the Big VS Small bite.

When the Biggies are hungry and feeding they are VERY ACTIVE and territorial.

So they may be chasing and actually stiking/feeding on the smaller ones.......hence chasing them out of the 'ZONE'.

It's amazing how big a bait a hungry Bass will try and eat.
Look at the 8" and larger 'Swimbait' Anglers.

Simply a thought.

Makes sense Anal. That could be  a reason.
Florida Bass Fishing

big g

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 10:42:37 AM »

Yup thatís very true George! The small ones for sure outnumber the big ones. But thatís why Iíve found it strange that there have been days where Iíve caught just bigger fish.
A trip to vista view comes to mind. Throwing a spinnerbait I hooked up with 5 or 6 quality fish.
Lost 2 of them in the process including a possible PB. But the quality fish were biting. The smaller fish didnít seem to be in a feeding mood. Those days are the rare ones Iím talking about. But you are right it could be about location as they were all caught in areas in close proximity to each other.

It doesn't matter as much the bait, or color, your using.   Pass it in front of a ambushing big bass, and she will sometimes take it.  Pass it in front of a bed and she was hit it out of anger.   Then you also have the fact that small bass don't hang with big bass, they become meals.  If your catching bigger bass, then smaller ones have moved off to safer locations.  If you have found a location with big bass don't leave it, they sometimes hang out by size with little threat from others of similar size.  Sometimes they are just loners. 

Location, and your presentation are more important then other factors, in my humble opinion.

(Fish) - Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2018, 11:20:48 AM »

It doesn't matter as much the bait, or color, your using.   Pass it in front of a ambushing big bass, and she will sometimes take it.  Pass it in front of a bed and she was hit it out of anger.   Then you also have the fact that small bass don't hang with big bass, they become meals.  If your catching bigger bass, then smaller ones have moved off to safer locations.  If you have found a location with big bass don't leave it, they sometimes hang out by size with little threat from others of similar size.  Sometimes they are just loners. 

Location, and your presentation are more important then other factors, in my humble opinion.
Now your talking. And even more proof is the underwater videos of tacticalbassin. The schools are of similar or like sized bass almost exclusively. And if you notice on the schools of large bass the biggest don't really school with them. As bass get to the really large size the become more and more loners. They will linger behind or below just out of the big schools.

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2018, 11:31:30 AM »

Now your talking. And even more proof is the underwater videos of tacticalbassin. The schools are of similar or like sized bass almost exclusively. And if you notice on the schools of large bass the biggest don't really school with them. As bass get to the really large size the become more and more loners. They will linger behind or below just out of the big schools.
how true Steve I have notice the same thing to be true with the biggest Crappies and catfish also. The biggest ones are loners and hang by themself most of the time.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

SFL BassHunter

• SFL BassHunter
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »

Good point George and Steve!

I suppose it's a power in numbers thing. The smaller ones feel safer together, while the biggest in the lake doesn't need others for safety.
Florida Bass Fishing

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Daiwa, LSCR, Dobyns, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 05:56:06 PM »

I will back up Lee's statement.
All of my big bass have come on a really fast or slow presentation.

Dead sticking any bottom contact bait has produced the most big ones.
Fast topwaters and slow topwaters have produced most of the rest. Whopper ploppers, frogs fast and sloooow, and Pop-Rs sitting still a looonng time.

Location has a lot to do with it also. In the North bass tend to school in size often. I know for a fact it can be different in Florida, sometimes you just have fish long enough for the big ones to get a chance to feed, Other times the big ones show their dominance.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 26 queries.