Whopper plopper 90/110 rod

Started by aaron_Rockwell, March 07, 2018, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaron_Rockwell

I'm looking for a rod to fish primarily the 90 and 110 whopper plopper.  I have been using  a mh fast abu garcia  villain and lose to many fish. What Dobyns would be best?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Smallie_Stalker

From my experience with ABU rods their actions and powers are heavier than what the rod says.

I'll let the Dobyns experts give you the best advice, but I would think you would want something with a softer tip for those treble hooks. The Dobyns Sierra models tend to have a softer tip for the rated action than other rods. And being a topwater bait IMO you don't need the sensitivity of a Champ or Extreme series rod.

That's just my opinion. Hopefully Gary will see this and give you an answer from the master himself!!!

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

aaron_Rockwell

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on March 07, 2018, 07:23:13 PM
From my experience with ABU rods their actions and powers are heavier than what the rod says.

I'll let the Dobyns experts give you the best advice, but I would think you would want something with a softer tip for those treble hooks. The Dobyns Sierra models tend to have a softer tip for the rated action than other rods. And being a topwater bait IMO you don't need the sensitivity of a Champ or Extreme series rod.

That's just my opinion. Hopefully Gary will see this and give you an answer from the master himself!!!
Yes your right my abu is a very stiff and fast tip. It tends to pull the trebles out of there mouth.

Mike Cork

I use the 735c Champion series. It is the perfect rod for both these baits. Plenty of back bone for casting and hook ups, yet enough tip to make for accurate casting.

I imagine the 735c in the Sierra Series would be just as good  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

aaron_Rockwell

Quote from: Mike Cork on March 07, 2018, 07:33:38 PM
I use the 735c Champion series. It is the perfect rod for both these baits. Plenty of back bone for casting and hook ups, yet enough tip to make for accurate casting.

I imagine the 735c in the Sierra Series would be just as good  :-*
Thanks for the input this is the info I'm looking for.

aaron_Rockwell

Quote from: aaron_Rockwell on March 07, 2018, 07:41:35 PM
Thanks for the input this is the info I'm looking for.

The backbone on my villain mh is fine the tip seems to be more of an extra fast. I tend to rip the bait away when setting the hook. How is the 735c for keeping them on the line?

Mike Cork

The 735 is a pretty fast tip, I would say if it's a problem for you to look at the Sierra series 735. It's a little slower than the Champions IMO. That should give you everything you're looking for and save a few dollars.

I don't have a problem with pulling a bait from a bass, however in my part of the country I fish a top water of some kind 11 months a year and stay very disciplined in letting them take it well before setting the hook. I like the faster tip action of the Champion Series because of the Whopper Plopper's hook size, I want fast power to drive the hooks home.

Cork's Reel Service

aaron_Rockwell

Quote from: Mike Cork on March 08, 2018, 10:08:28 AM
The 735 is a pretty fast tip, I would say if it's a problem for you to look at the Sierra series 735. It's a little slower than the Champions IMO. That should give you everything you're looking for and save a few dollars.

I don't have a problem with pulling a bait from a bass, however in my part of the country I fish a top water of some kind 11 months a year and stay very disciplined in letting them take it well before setting the hook. I like the faster tip action of the Champion Series because of the Whopper Plopper's hook size, I want fast power to drive the hooks home.
Thanks Mike. I tend to use the 90 wp most of the time due to so many smallmouth. The largemouth tend to stay buttoned smallmouth so acrobatic.  I may just get the Sierra 735 it will be my first Dobyns I have several  loomis and a bunch of St croix. But have been hearing  do much good stuff about the Dobyns want to give them a try.

Mike Cork

I used to love fishing for smallies, just don't have them down here. I do thing the 735 Sierra series will be just right.

Cork's Reel Service

Gary Dobyns

Yep I'm with Mike on this one. I throw the Champ 735C but many guys like the Sierra 735C too. It's a tad slower. I catch a lot of fish on this bait. Violent strikes!!!! 

I have found that I lose less fish by horsing them to the boat. I use braid, lean into them, and drag to the boat. I do same with big swimbaits. No finesse or playing I drag them to the boat. I know it goes against the grain for treble hook baits and this will probably not work for everyone. I have fished these baits a lot as well as good sized swimbaits. I lose less fish by being aggressive.

Also, if you watch youtube videos of really good big bass, big bait guys you'll notice they drag them to the boat as well. Bigger baits that fish can shake loose because of the weight of the bait get landed more often by horsing them to the boat. My 2 cents!!

zippyduck

I use the Sierra 734c with the 90 and it works great. Only lost one smallie on it during mid flight. :shocking:

Not bad for probably 25 smallies hooked up on it.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

aaron_Rockwell

Quote from: Gary Dobyns on March 08, 2018, 11:15:09 PM
Yep I'm with Mike on this one. I throw the Champ 735C but many guys like the Sierra 735C too. It's a tad slower. I catch a lot of fish on this bait. Violent strikes!!!! 

I have found that I lose less fish by horsing them to the boat. I use braid, lean into them, and drag to the boat. I do same with big swimbaits. No finesse or playing I drag them to the boat. I know it goes against the grain for treble hook baits and this will probably not work for everyone. I have fished these baits a lot as well as good sized swimbaits. I lose less fish by being aggressive.

Also, if you watch youtube videos of really good big bass, big bait guys you'll notice they drag them to the boat as well. Bigger baits that fish can shake loose because of the weight of the bait get landed more often by horsing them to the boat. My 2 cents!!
Gary thanks for the input. I do love those violent strikes! What you said makes sense about the heavier  lure making it easier for the fish to throw the hooks. I will give that a try. It looks the the 735 it is!

aaron_Rockwell

Quote from: zippyduck on March 08, 2018, 11:17:49 PM
I use the Sierra 734c with the 90 and it works great. Only lost one smallie on it during mid flight. :shocking:

Not bad for probably 25 smallies hooked up on it.
Good to know as I fish the 90 most of the time especially on smallmouth  lakes. Do you use braid?

zippyduck

20lb seaguar senshi tough line with some stretch. Floats great for topwaters.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

loomisguy

I'm not a Dobyns expert so I have no opinion on the rod.. The Plopper I fish a bunch.
The 90 size has always seemed kind of hit and miss as to the way they run. Some are fine but some are hard to get running and want to drag the tail.
  The 110 and 130 all seem to run well, and I've never noticed any difference in the 90 getting more strikes.
A lot of folks use braid. I use 16lb. Sunline super natural and a heavy/fast rod.

Chip Harm

I like the 734 with braid for the 110.  I think it has the backbone to get good hook penetration yet has some play so they won't rip the hook out.  I went with the braid because I sometimes make long casts ad it just seems to transfer the power of the rod to the bait better.  I have thrown the 90 on a 705CB with braid as well and it did ok...I just don't use the 90 very often
Chip

www.elitetungsten.com

aaron_Rockwell

Quote from: zippyduck on March 09, 2018, 06:29:54 AM
20lb seaguar senshi tough line with some stretch. Floats great for topwaters.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply.

aaron_Rockwell

Quote from: loomisguy on March 09, 2018, 11:52:31 AM
I'm not a Dobyns expert so I have no opinion on the rod.. The Plopper I fish a bunch.
The 90 size has always seemed kind of hit and miss as to the way they run. Some are fine but some are hard to get running and want to drag the tail.
  The 110 and 130 all seem to run well, and I've never noticed any difference in the 90 getting more strikes.
A lot of folks use braid. I use 16lb. Sunline super natural and a heavy/fast rod.
I have been mostly  using the  90  have had very good days with them I have not used the 110 much and 130 even less. All of my 90 seem to run fine. I definitely  will try the 110 more.

aaron_Rockwell

Quote from: Chip Harm on March 09, 2018, 03:27:27 PM
I like the 734 with braid for the 110.  I think it has the backbone to get good hook penetration yet has some play so they won't rip the hook out.  I went with the braid because I sometimes make long casts ad it just seems to transfer the power of the rod to the bait better.  I have thrown the 90 on a 705CB with braid as well and it did ok...I just don't use the 90 very often
I was thinking the same thing on the 734 I will never use this rod for a 130 wp mostly 90 and occasionally the 110. This will likely  be the only lure I will use it for.

zippyduck

Quote from: aaron_Rockwell on March 09, 2018, 05:00:14 PM
I was thinking the same thing on the 734 I will never use this rod for a 130 wp mostly 90 and occasionally the 110. This will likely  be the only lure I will use it for.

If you only use that rod for that lure you will be missing its magic. I use the Sierra 734c for so much.
It is a great skipping rod, along with throwing weightless senkos in grass lines.
it has power, sensitivity, and great control all in one special rod.
It is my favorite rod for it versatility And own several Champion series rods but most of those are for specific applications.

aaron_Rockwell

Quote from: zippyduck on March 09, 2018, 05:37:54 PM
If you only use that rod for that lure you will be missing its magic. I use the Sierra 734c for so much.
It is a great skipping rod, along with throwing weightless senkos in grass lines.
it has power, sensitivity, and great control all in one special rod.
It is my favorite rod for it versatility And own several Champion series rods but most of those are for specific applications.
That's good to here that it's that special of a rod. I need to try it out myself.

aaron_Rockwell

Ok I just ordered a sierra 734c .I think I will pair it with  a Daiwa tws sv.

zippyduck

Quote from: aaron_Rockwell on March 09, 2018, 06:37:46 PM
Ok I just ordered a sierra 734c .I think I will pair it with  a Daiwa tws sv.

That's my set up. You will really like it. Let us know how it performs for you.

aaron_Rockwell

Quote from: zippyduck on March 09, 2018, 07:08:23 PM
That's my set up. You will really like it. Let us know how it performs for you.
I will let you know it will  be a few weeks.

badgerbass