Hook size

Started by Msn26753, March 09, 2018, 12:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Msn26753

Ok.. Got a question and maybe im posting in wrong forum,  i donno,  but here it goes..
What size hook do yall use with a zoom mag ii worm.. 
Ive been using a 5/0 with no problems till last night.
Went fishing and had the best worst night fishing. Caught 2 bass in boat.  2 got off before i got to the boat i was using a zoom mag ii worm and bass seemed to be jumping on it..  Except i missed about 10.. I threw my bait in 2 ft water after about 5 seconds it would take off and i coukd feel the bass..  I go to set hook and pulled straight out the bass mouth or i would be 2 late and they done spit it out.  I thought maybe it was some bream playing with me,  but i seen 2 bass that got off,  and the 2 i caught were hooked at the edge of lip..  I thought maybe they wanted another color,  so i mixed it up and no bites.  Went back to original color and same thing.  Switched hooks to same size but a newer one thinking that was it..  Still missed hooksets...  I never tried a smaller hook..  But i never had that problem before..  Any ideas and what size hooks yall using?

LgMouthGambler

Trokar 5/0 EWG Super Line hook.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Msn26753

And i usually have problem with bream when i feel that tap, tap, tap, tap, tap like a machine gun and usually the bream like to eat my curly tails off..  Ive just never missed that many bass...  Seemed lije maybe they were spawning and full,  just wanted to suck in bait and spit it out... I donno... 

Msn26753

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on March 09, 2018, 12:43:57 PM
Trokar 5/0 EWG Super Line hook.

Thats what i was using..  5/0 gamakatsu evg hook..

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Msn26753 on March 09, 2018, 12:46:50 PM
Thats what i was using..  5/0 gamakatsu evg hook..

Gammy is not a Trokar.  lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Msn26753

I meant same size 5/0 ewg

LgMouthGambler

Not all hooks are created equal. If you wanna use a Gammy, you are gonna have to up the size.

Msn26753

Really...  Bigger then a 5/0.... I couldnt imagine going bigger on a worm...  I am using the skip gap ewg.. Ive heard people using anywhere from a 3/0 to a 5/0 but ive never heard abyone go bigger.. 
Seems fishy that ive never had this issue but last night it was upset stomach diarrhea kinda sick... 

LgMouthGambler

Skip gap, theres your problem....

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on March 09, 2018, 03:14:37 PM
Not all hooks are created equal. If you wanna use a Gammy, you are gonna have to up the size.

Excellent point (no pun intended). Like so many other things in the fishing world there is no industry standard on hook gap size. So one company's 4/0 may be the same as another company's 5/0.

To the OP, I'm gonna throw a suggestion out there. Try a straight shank hook. I slowly went back to using them a while back and have noticed that I lose less fish with them than I do an EWG. Not saying I don't lose any fish but noticeably less. Occasionally I still use an offset shank hook but i can't even remember the last time I threw anything on an EWG hook.

Just a thought.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Donald Garner

How often do you check you hook point?  It doesn't take much to bend that point just a nuf for it not to stick real good.  I would think that 5/0 EWG would be enough hook.   Straight up Texas Rigged Worm fishing I use either a 4/0 - 5/0 EWG depending on the length of the worm.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

zippyduck

I really don't like the skip gaps. A regular EWG works good for me.
But it may have been the spawn and the fish weren't inhaling the bait. In that case set the hook as fast as you can.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Msn26753

Quote from: zippyduck on March 09, 2018, 08:14:52 PM
I really don't like the skip gaps. A regular EWG works good for me.
But it may have been the spawn and the fish weren't inhaling the bait. In that case set the hook as fast as you can.

Went back for about hour tonight...  Caught. Nice 3 1/2 lb..  Bit same thing..  Missed about 5... I dont know if its bedded females or bream..  I threw a crawfiah in same spots and different colored worma with no bites...  But as soon as i go back to original then it picksup bait and i swing for the hills and nothing... Weirdest thing..  Usually bream eat the tail off them worms.

Msn26753

Quote from: Donald Garner on March 09, 2018, 05:51:28 PM
How often do you check you hook point?  It doesn't take much to bend that point just a nuf for it not to stick real good.  I would think that 5/0 EWG would be enough hook.   Straight up Texas Rigged Worm fishing I use either a 4/0 - 5/0 EWG depending on the length of the worm.

Yes..  I changed hook... It was sharp but i was out of options so i changed it and same thing.. 

Oldfart9999

If they are on beds you may miss a lot more fish, they tend to just grab the tail and take a bit outside the nest.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SteveTX

Get rid of the ewg crud and put a 5/0 strait shank hook in that worm and fish that worm the way it was meant to be fished.  ;) If it's a Bass and it's in his mouth you will hook him. Bream or any other little mouthed critter probably ain't gonna happen just due to hook size vs mouth.

I often tell a friend to get a bigger hook so he can eliminate the little critters.

Eww =  :fart2:

SFL BassHunter

I use 5/0 hooks. But I've fished at night with a big worm and had the same issue. Fish were picking it up by the tail. You could see the line moving but hookset and no fish.

The color change in the case you pointed out should be a slight change not a drastic one. So if you used watermelon red then maybe watermelon. Or green pumpkin red. Something similar.

Some days they are just finicky though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

ItsJason

Might be going against the grain here, but try downsizing both hook and bait. Works well for me when the fish are acting like this. My guess is it's not the hooks fault, the fish just aren't fully engulfing the bait, therefore the hook may not even be in the fishes mouth when you set.
Stay with the same size style and color if possible, but downsize a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Princeton_Man

Like most of the others, 5/0. Sometimes a Trokar Big Nasty, sometime a Trokar EWG. It doesn't happen often, but if I'm missing decent fish, I'll run the hook a little further down the worm and use a lighter weight.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

loomisguy

I try to avoid EWG hooks as much as possible. Unless it's on some sort of beaver style bait that can ball up in the gap.
On the ol Monster and most other worms,  I like the Trokar TK 130 flippin hook in 4/0 or 5/0.

Msn26753

Im wondering if im getting some bedding females..  I went last nite and couldnt get a bite..  But 2 nights in a row i was getting bites but no hooksets.. Weirdest thing to miss that many..  But its better then not getting any bites.  Lol.. Im gonna try a straight shank hook or a shakey head,  and drag it around to see what happens...

JDV

I typically use a 2/0 and don't even need to set the hook as the bass usually do it for me. 

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Msn26753 on March 11, 2018, 02:50:21 PM
Im wondering if im getting some bedding females..  I went last nite and couldnt get a bite..  But 2 nights in a row i was getting bites but no hooksets.. Weirdest thing to miss that many..  But its better then not getting any bites.  Lol.. Im gonna try a straight shank hook or a shakey head,  and drag it around to see what happens...
Have you tried down sizing the worm instead?

merc1997

Quote from: Msn26753 on March 09, 2018, 12:39:58 PM
Ok.. Got a question and maybe im posting in wrong forum,  i donno,  but here it goes..
What size hook do yall use with a zoom mag ii worm.. 
Ive been using a 5/0 with no problems till last night.
Went fishing and had the best worst night fishing. Caught 2 bass in boat.  2 got off before i got to the boat i was using a zoom mag ii worm and bass seemed to be jumping on it..  Except i missed about 10.. I threw my bait in 2 ft water after about 5 seconds it would take off and i coukd feel the bass..  I go to set hook and pulled straight out the bass mouth or i would be 2 late and they done spit it out.  I thought maybe it was some bream playing with me,  but i seen 2 bass that got off,  and the 2 i caught were hooked at the edge of lip..  I thought maybe they wanted another color,  so i mixed it up and no bites.  Went back to original color and same thing.  Switched hooks to same size but a newer one thinking that was it..  Still missed hooksets...  I never tried a smaller hook..  But i never had that problem before..  Any ideas and what size hooks yall using?
go to NuTech Lures you tube channel and look up the video titled guide arms, hooks and pull lines.  you might learn why you are not hooking your bass.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

merc1997

here is the you tube link

bo

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fjImoCfe98&t=194s
On Heaven's Lake