Lifted Garage Storage

Started by Bassin_VA, February 18, 2018, 10:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassin_VA

Just curious on what people are using to lift and store their kayaks in the garage off the floor. Right now mine are sitting on the garage floor, but wanting to make more space and am looking for some type of lift system to get it out of the way.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

analfisherman

Well I currently have a Hobie PA-14.......and I trailer it.

But I have, but don't use a CARGOLOC CEILING MOUNT GARAGE HOIST.
It will hold 150 lbs.
Easy installation.
Cheap.....$18

Pulls kayak up to the ceiling....hence can walk under and frees up floor space.
Google it or go to any hardware store, Walmart, Fleet Farm, Farm Fleet, Tractor Supply....they all have something similar from $18-$40 bucks.

Really see no actual increase value between less priced and higher priced Hoists.

"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Princeton_Man

It's somewhere, on my project list, just not real high on the priority list. I came up with the idea of using a small electric winch along with steel cables and pulleys to create a 4X8 platform the I can raise and lower from the garage ceiling. Primarily for the Christmas decorations.

Similar to how some of the pop-up campers work.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

PECo

I use a cheapo bicycle lift like this one from Harbor Freight:

I modified it by spreading the two pulleys until they're about two feet less than the length of my kayak apart, using a longer rope and replacing the two hooks with rope slings that have foam-padded PVC pipe spreaders. I also have a rope joining the bottoms of the two slings, so that they can't spread apart when the kayak is in them. It was cheap and works fine. I'll post a photo, later, if you'd like to see it.

analfisherman

PECo, ya we're talking the same basic set up.....Cargoloc just had a 150 lb. capacity (the one in Pic has 100lb. but my Kayak is !50lbs. empty...so had to step up the weight capacity on mine) and came with the straps included plus all installation materials and this all for $18...oh and had installation instructions too.  lo

I have ZERO 'HANDYMAN ABILITIES'...so simplicity was a PRIME GOAL of mine!  ~roflmao
Heck, I struggled just to learn how to use my 'velcro shoe fastners'.  ::)

"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

PECo

Yeap, the photo on the Cargoloc box is like what I did. I'd recommend tying a rope (I used orange poly string) between the bottoms of the two slings to keep them from spreading out and sliding over the ends of the kayak. My kayak has a Swedish form hull that tapers at the ends and the slings tend to want to slide off of it. I sized the slings to raise the kayak above the open garage door.

Bassin_VA

Those are what I was kind if thinking. Just reading reviews I see a bunch of.. oh it fell from the lift or it wont hold and last and will fall. So figured I would gather some opinions. Thanks!

PECo

Quote from: Bassin_VA on February 27, 2018, 02:44:35 PM
Those are what I was kind if thinking. Just reading reviews I see a bunch of.. oh it fell from the lift or it wont hold and last and will fall. So figured I would gather some opinions. Thanks!
Hey, if you miss a joist when screwing in the lift or fail to replace a frayed rope, that's on YOU!  ;)

Bassin_VA

Quote from: PECo on February 27, 2018, 08:24:48 PM
Hey, if you miss a stud when screwing in the lift or fail to replace a frayed rope, that's on YOU!  ;)
Haha. Literally