Good bank fishing locations?

Started by gr4474, March 11, 2018, 04:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr4474

Hello,
I'm looking for some good spots to bank fish for bass. Preferably somewhere I can move around, and not be stuck.  Even better would be no pleasure boats.  A man can't be picky though, so any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

edit: I live in Shreveport, so anything about an hour away is good. 

SteelHorseCowboy

I think we have a few members from your area, the head honcho being one of them. I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions, but in the meantime, consider google maps/earth your friend. That's how I've found nearly all my bank fishing spots (west monroe). The rest I found by word of mouth or happened to be driving by.

SteelHorseCowboy

We're actually about to pass through the area on our way home from Dallas, we're about 50 miles away. Got my UL in the back along with Connie's favorite combo, just in case we happen to drive by a likely looking spot.

Mike Cork

Shore fishing is tough around here. Most of our lakes are large swamps and getting close to the water is difficult at best. Some time spent on google earth and following roads near the red river will produce some quiet areas that you won't see others anglers. However, wait for the river to get back to normal first.

Caddo, Cross Lake, and Bistineau are all lakes with limited shore access. Your best bets are around public boat launches with these.

Cypress and Black Bayou again, public boat launches or the Park on Cypress. But you'll have a lot of boat traffic during the summer months.

A kayak will really improve your fishing, this gives you access to the lakes and any of the thousands of ponds in the area. Just be sure to find the owner of the ponds before attempting to fish them.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

BiggestBear

Cross Lake has a bunch of shore fishing spots along the shore both in Ford Park, The twin span bridges, and Fleming Park.  Caddo Lake you can fish by the Mooringsport Drawbridge or Horace Downs Park Dam.  Bistineau is a bit hard when it comes to shoreline fishing either at the north Hwy 164 or south end Hwy 154 bridges.  Hopefully, this helps.

gr4474

I appreciate the ideas.  I was looking at boats for the past few weeks, then my transmission went out.  I was seeing several pretty decent options around $800 and up...then all the best deals almost are gone.  I think people with tax returns wiped out most of them.  I do keep seeing kayaks, and am interested in that.  I want to be able to bring my family in something larger, but they would be good for solo fishing.  I may end up with a kayak for cheap until I save up again for something bigger. 

I'll check out some of those spots, and keep them coming!

SteelHorseCowboy

Look on craigslist, there's a fella in N.LA selling cypress pirogues and jon boats for $300. I'm not sure about the Shreveport area, but around West Monroe that's about the best deal going for a small boat. Not sure how big your family is, but you can fit 2-3 people in one of the jons.

livemusic

A 'pond boat', as they are sometimes called, is an option. I have two. Pelican Raider 10 footer sold by Academy is a good one. Basspro also sells a brand, might be called Sun Dolphin. You can fish two and they are remarkable stable. Just need a troll motor and battery. You sometimes find these used. They are light enough you can handle them yourself if you are in good shape. They fit in a pickup bed. A regular jon boat will work, I fished out of one for decades.

Mikeydidit

So this may help. About 45 minutes north is Caddo Lake. Go through Oil City and go to Shady rest. I know Steve passed away but they used to still have some John boats for rent up there with trolling motors for around $25.00 per day.. Not bad a lot of fish up that way.
Cutting grass is a no win proposition. Might as well go fishin.