Line Backing

Started by cport, March 08, 2018, 09:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cport

When u guys spool mono line backing, do you use the cheapest line you can get? And do you get an eight or ten pound test, or something stronger? Spooling my new Rocket Hyperspeed with some fifty lb power pro for frogging (the weeds and muck I fish isn't that thick), and wondering how much and what kind of backing I should put on it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Bassin_VA

I am using some cheap Zebco mono in I think 10lb. I figure it is just used to help fill the spool before I put on my 75yds or so of braid, so I wont spend alot of money on backing. There may be other reasons, but this is my thinking

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cport

Quote from: Bassin_VA on March 08, 2018, 09:34:30 AM
I am using some cheap Zebco mono in I think 10lb. I figure it is just used to help fill the spool before I put on my 75yds or so of braid, so I wont spend alot of money on backing. There may be other reasons, but this is my thinking

That's funny. I am at Wal-Mart looking at that same line, which prompted me to write this post LOL. I was thinking the same thing you were

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Bassin_VA

Quote from: cport on March 08, 2018, 09:38:31 AM
That's funny. I am at Wal-Mart looking at that same line, which prompted me to write this post LOL. I was thinking the same thing you were

YUP! Seems to work for me, but there may be other opinions. I figure I am fishing for fun and have not had any issues using it, so why change.

LgMouthGambler

Straight braid, dont be cheap like Rick.  ~roflmao
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

cport

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on March 08, 2018, 09:56:32 AM
Straight braid, dont be cheap like Rick.  ~roflmao
Dude, I shot my wad on the new rod and reel, gotta cut corners somehow LOL

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: cport on March 08, 2018, 09:58:27 AM
Dude, I shot my wad on the new rod and reel, gotta cut corners somehow LOL

Honestly, the best backing is old braid. Keeps the spool weight down to cast better.  ;)
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

cport

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on March 08, 2018, 10:17:07 AM
Honestly, the best backing is old braid. Keeps the spool weight down to cast better.  ;)
I didn't think of that, thanks

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: cport on March 08, 2018, 09:38:31 AM

Unless you are getting all the way down to your backing, it won't matter. That line will never see the light of day...hopefully.
Cheapest line! In my case I use whatever mono I have around the house that's cheap.

Anyone who suggests using expensive line for backing needs to reassess their life decisions lol.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

analfisherman

I'm a straight Braid user too.

My major reason is sometimes the mono to braid 'knot' would cause hank ups on the cast.
now maybe it's just my 'knot tieing abilities' but I'm not the worst knot tier.

Next challenge was getting the proper amount of backing.
Seemed I frequently would end up with 'braid' left over on the spool.
To short to really be of any use......so ended up wasting expensive line.

When I would only put on like 75 feet or less of braid.......after numerous outtings and switching lures the braid to mono knot would show it's ugly head again and being a 'long caster I'd start getting the mono coming out on the cast...now you have a potentially new 'weak link' PLUS I'd end up with like 20-30 feet of braid left......unless pitching.......that amount is worthless....hence I'd end up cutting off the 'short' remaining braid off and respooling....again wasting the expensive braid cut off. >:D

Spinning gear the above challenges were even worse.

The ability to reverse the braid on a reel.......can give you 2-5 years or better on a single spool of braid.

just seemed more cost effective and less on water surprises FOR ME to go straight braid.

But if I WERE to use backing........I'd go CHEAP mono.
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

WTodd

I just fill up my spool with braid and when it gets low just fill it back up tying on new braid using what's there as a backer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kris

I have been using mono backing for years. Sometimes I even use it, double uni knotted to a different mono, fluoro or braid. I have always used Trilene XT Green for backing in 12 lb.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

fishandkamp

I always use good quality mono, but I do fish on the Chesapeake Bay where it is not uncommon to get bit by a 20 plus pound blue catfish or a 36 inch rockfish. i have had the backing go out through the guides several times. If I take my time and make sure the wraps do not criss cross when tying my double uni knot then that knot will go right out the guides with ease.  I use 14 pound Stren Clear Blue mono. I get it from Wally World for about $8.00 for the spool, it works out to about 3 cents a yard. That is cheap enough to use and I have the confidence it is quality line.

pjl63

I use Trilene Big Game 10# for backing, five or six passes to make a nice bed for the braid to anchor to, and splice it with an FG knot.  It was a couple bucks for a 1500 yd spool.

zippyduck

Quote from: pjl63 on March 08, 2018, 03:13:13 PM
I use Trilene Big Game 10# for backing, five or six passes to make a nice bed for the braid to anchor to, and splice it with an FG knot.  It was a couple bucks for a 1500 yd spool.

I have the same spool just for backing. Has lasted me a few years now.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Pferox

I'm using 8 to 12lb CXX because that is what I have laying around in abundance.  I use just a short piece, couple of wraps around the spool for grip and the rest is braid, for a few reasons.

I deal with fish that can run and actually strip most of the line on a hi capacity spool so I want as much braid on the reel as possible.

I deal with fish that can run and actually strip ALL the line off of the reel and take the spool with them (I have had this happen) and total out a decent reel and rod, by using the lighter line, it will snap and not damage the reel.  The sudden jerk from 40 or 50 lb braid is enough to damage many good reels, because they are designed for more even or subtle stresses, not the slam of line coming to the ummmm end of the line. Mono also stretches before it breaks so it acts like a shock absorber lessening the blow to the spool.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Oldfart9999

I run a wrap or 2 around the spool then it's braid all the way. I use what I have hanging around mono, flouro, don't seem to matter which. I soak a rag in  line conditioner and the new line through it, cleans the dust and stuff off the new line form the manufacturing processes.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

cport

Thanks guys, knew I could count on UB members for input.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Blacknredflake

I use either 10lb or 12lb Big Game as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BITE THE DAMN WORM!

SteelHorseCowboy

I have another question myself.
For those who run their line onto another reel to recycle it, do you go from one reel to another of about the same size, or send it to one with a lower capacity to compensate for some of the line lost due to snags and changing lures?
Or does it just depend on the needs at the moment?

Pferox

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on March 09, 2018, 07:51:36 AM
I have another question myself.
For those who run their line onto another reel to recycle it, do you go from one reel to another of about the same size, or send it to one with a lower capacity to compensate for some of the line lost due to snags and changing lures?
Or does it just depend on the needs at the moment?

I usually go smaller reel because I'm usually changing it out because of cast ability, which is because it is so low in the spool.

I have a couple of bait rods that have pieces spliced together to make a full reel, that is the last resting place before it becomes sewing thread or something like that.  Looks kind of funny with 20 to 50 lb line stretched across the water.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

SteveTX

I usually use some 12lb Big Game as I have a abundance of it as well. 10lb would probably be better as it would make  finer (smoother) layer. To me that line will never see action so 8lb would work as well I am sure. My using 12 lb also makes for the tying of a blood knot easier. That is what I use to connect my backing to my main line. It lays down well and is pretty small.

The line capacity is 12/145 so if you buy 150 yard filler spools you may want to make a few layers so you can split the 150 yard spool and get 2 reels out of one spool, cutting the braid cost in 1/2 basically. This is how I do mine but I am looking at a 30 to 40 yard cast generally.

Seriously a 75 yard cast with a frog is a pretty sweet toss. ::) But useless to me. I've found that in my heavy lily pads that is not a wise move to catch a fish at that distance in the pads. 7 out of 10 times you will never get it to the boat. Oh the 1 lbers maybe a 2 lber you will get back regularly. But the fish of a lifetime or even just a decent 5 lber will wrap you up. You can get its head up and keep it up at that distance. 

FlatsNBay

I try to match the diameter of the mono backing with the braid. If the braid is the same as say 12 lb. test, I use 12 lb. mono backing. I just try to keep it simple and consistent.