Need Some Help.

Started by Lipripper, March 14, 2018, 06:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lipripper

OK I'm posting this down here cause y'all use this more than any other members other than the Louisiana folks. I'm going to try punching or pitching ( not sure which one you would call it)  this year. It's not the real heavy stuff like y'all fish and with some effort I can work my GY Senko through it with out a weight but this year I decided to try punching my way through it.I have some bobber stops and weights on the way and I have and I was going to use my 4/0 EWG worm hooks and I wanted to order some baits from Doc Irv and Steve made these suggestions with a hardness of  Medium Hard. So after looking at Doc's website he has so many choices I was more cornfused on what to get before I went there.  lo lo So I knew y'all do a lot of this type of fishing down here so I thought I would ask y'all which ones should I pick?

P Craw 3.75 Inch
Kodiak Craw aka Beaver 3.5" or 4.25"
Cra Z craw 3.75 Inch
C Craw 4 Inch
Maniac Craw 4.25 Inch

Here's the kind of stuff I will be using it in. Thanks

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Antrigen

Remember that whatever you chose the bigger the bait and the more appendages the harder it is to get through  the cover and so will require more weight. I often use super glue to help keep the baits set on the hook.

As I am sure you know set the hook fast and try to get them up and surfing across the top to you.
Tight lines.

SFL BassHunter

Ok lip you threw me for a loop here, because
1. I could have sworn we talked about punching 
2. this post is from the 14th...so I must have missed it. Sorry bud!

Had to go looking for the previous post about punching over in the lure presentation side to convince myself I'm not crazy. Honestly I think I'm crazy, but at least not with this post lol.

Anyways back to your post.

Antrigen is right, the more appendages the harder it is to get through and the heavier your weight should be.
In your case you are fishing what looks like duckweed which should not take much weight or effort to get through as it is just a layer of plant that isn't attached to anything. More appendages probably will not negatively impact what you are doing.

"Common duckweed is a very small light green free-floating, seed bearing plant. Duckweed has 1 to 3 leaves, or fronds, of 1/16 to 1/8 inch in length. A single root (or root-hair) protrudes from each frond." - https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/alphabetical-index/common-duckweed/

- My advice for baits is get yourself a small 3" bait and then something in the 4" range as well.
Some days fish just want a smaller presentation.

- Get a creature type bait with lots of action and one with very little action
Some days they want something moving fast, others something that isn't very active.

- Your stick baits will work just fine in this duckweed.

- Worms will work, Lizards will work. Hell any type of soft plastic will get through duckweed with the proper weight.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

Thanks Rick and Antrigen.
The way I have been fishing it and caught them fish I posted here  is with my GY Senkos on a 4/0 EWG worm hook Texas rigged and no weight. I had to work it from side to side several time until it would find it's way through weeds and if it didn't get hit after it broke through and reached the bottom I would pull it back up and then back down in the same spot a couple of time then move on to the next spot close by that I could work it through. I decided that this year I was going to try this punching stuff with a weight to make it a little better at getting it through the weeds without so much effort. Beside in some spots I couldn't get that senko to get through. I will look and see what baits come in that pack of sample baits I just won from Doc and see what is in there that I might be able to use. I think I have some beaver type baits around somewhere I will just have to see what I can find and then have Doc make me some in the 3 and 4" size that don't have a lot of  appendages on them. thanks again. 

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Lipripper on March 19, 2018, 04:51:21 PM
Thanks Rick and Antrigen.
The way I have been fishing it and caught them fish I posted here  is with my GY Senkos on a 4/0 EWG worm hook Texas rigged and no weight. I had to work it from side to side several time until it would find it's way through weeds and if it didn't get hit after it broke through and reached the bottom I would pull it back up and then back down in the same spot a couple of time then move on to the next spot close by that I could work it through. I decided that this year I was going to try this punching stuff with a weight to make it a little better at getting it through the weeds without so much effort. Beside in some spots I couldn't get that senko to get through. I will look and see what baits come in that pack of sample baits I just won from Doc and see what is in there that I might be able to use. I think I have some beaver type baits around somewhere I will just have to see what I can find and then have Doc make me some in the 3 and 4" size that don't have a lot of  appendages on them. thanks again.

Good stuff! Again anything will work, as long as you get it through the thin layer of duckweed.

If it's a shallow lake, don't be scared to throw a frog. The frog will move the duckweed and leave a trail. Bass will come through the duckweed and hit the frog. Though they may miss. So be patient. If you get a topwater strike and they miss have another rod with you and follow it up with one of your "punching" baits.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on March 19, 2018, 06:05:41 PM
Good stuff! Again anything will work, as long as you get it through the thin layer of duckweed.

If it's a shallow lake, don't be scared to throw a frog. The frog will move the duckweed and leave a trail. Bass will come through the duckweed and hit the frog. Though they may miss. So be patient. If you get a topwater strike and they miss have another rod with you and follow it up with one of your "punching" baits.
Throw a frog what's that  ~shade  lo lo That's how I work spots like that I throw a Frog to see if there are any real active one in there under the duck weed then if not I start working my senko through it and they hit it most of the time as soon as it breaks free of the duck weed.

Antrigen

Quote from: Lipripper on March 19, 2018, 06:20:49 PM
Throw a frog what's that  ~shade  lo lo That's how I work spots like that I throw a Frog to see if there are any real active one in there under the duck weed then if not I start working my senko through it and they hit it most of the time as soon as it breaks free of the duck weed.

I also use a frog to find fish under the mat and often use a 4" z man pop frog. They pop, have great action and will gurgle on a steady retrieve (Buzzing it) and float flat on the water. They are also very good rigged Carolina style behind a 3/4 oz egg sinker floating up off the bottom. I hate the price but they are very soft and super strong.

Lipripper

Quote from: Antrigen on March 20, 2018, 05:50:50 PM
I also use a frog to find fish under the mat and often use a 4" z man pop frog. They pop, have great action and will gurgle on a steady retrieve (Buzzing it) and float flat on the water. They are also very good rigged Carolina style behind a 3/4 oz egg sinker floating up off the bottom. I hate the price but they are very soft and super strong.
My GY Senkos are very soft and don't last a long time but dang them fish sure do love them and that's why I keep buying them.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Lipripper on March 21, 2018, 04:59:56 PM
My GY Senkos are very soft and don't last a long time but dang them fish sure do love them and that's why I keep buying them.

Lip I don't use them cause they are so damn expensive.

Save some money, get some BPS Sticko's. Trust me the fish will eat them just as much.

The Yum Dingers are also inexpensive and work well.
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on March 21, 2018, 06:41:21 PM

Save some money, get some BPS Sticko's. Trust me the fish will eat them just as much.

Rick I have tried several different brands but for me anyway I have found that the GY Senkos catch me more fish. So when I catch them on sale I stock up on them.  ;D

big g

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on March 21, 2018, 06:41:21 PM

I agree with Rick, stick-o is just as good as senkos, don't tear up so fast, and a lot cheaper.  Worth a good try, Lip.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Lipripper

Quote from: big g on March 22, 2018, 07:03:44 PM
I agree with Rick, stick-o is just as good as senkos, don't tear up so fast, and a lot cheaper.  Worth a good try, Lip.
Now that I'm on a fixed income I might have to give some of them other brands another try. I still have some of Doc's around somewhere.