Floor drain

Started by Truck57, March 18, 2018, 06:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truck57

The plastic floor drain cover in the console area of my 2000 Lowe 170 bass boat broke/cracked. I removed it for the replacement I got and am amazed that there is no visible drain tube or opening for water to run into the bilge. I just seem to have a four inch wide opening that is about 3 inches deep down to what appears to be the hull. The sides of the drain hole are unprotected foam sandwiched between the aluminum deck and the hull.
There's a slight groove in the base of the "drain", but nothing evident like a drain hole/tube/hose...
I've had a couple of inches of water in the console area before (can you say no plug and/or livewell overflow?) and the water cleared out fairly quickly with the bilge pump kicked on.
I did a quick test with a small cup of water poured into the open floor drain and it just seemed to very slowly drain through the foam sides in the drain hole. Is this a normal floor drain "system"?
What am I not getting here? Anyone else replaced a similar floor drain and know what I'm talking about?
Photos are attached to better explain my question. Sorry close up photo is blurry. Thanks.

Oldfart9999

I'm no help, never had a boat that had a floor drain but the water finds it's way to the bilge. The real problem is when the boat is left level or bow down without the water being allowed to drain or be pumped out. I believe most foam now is closed cell.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Truck57

Thanks Rodney. Someone suggested this might just be a vent, not a drain. Water (hopefully all of it) clears out somehow like yours, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Inquiring minds want to know...

Kris

IMHO it is probably a drain. I know it's a different boat but my old Ranger has two floor drains in the driving compartment into the bottom that does not have foam in it of course.
The foam is probably closed cell foam which is a plus for you. It is flat out amazing how much water a piece of open cell foam can absorb.
Curiosity wise I would try your glass of water again if you can see the drain plug area to make sure it gets back there. Make sure the bow is high and boat relatively level to be sure all water gets to the drain. I store my boats with bow high and leave the plug out of course.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Truck57

Thanks Kris. Good idea to check if the water makes it to and out the transom drain hole. The back of my boat is one big storage area mess right now squeezed into my garage and I didn't even look for puddling the first time. I'd hate to think the foam is absorbing a lot of water; it's quite "crumbly" in the drain hole...

Princeton_Man

I don't think my Tracker had any plumbing, just a channel for the water. I think the lockers probably had tubing that ran to the center of the boat.

As you suggested, it probably serves to ventilate as well. I never thought much about it.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Princeton_Man on March 19, 2018, 10:13:12 AM
I don't think my Tracker had any plumbing, just a channel for the water. I think the lockers probably had tubing that ran to the center of the boat.

As you suggested, it probably serves to ventilate as well. I never thought much about it.

And stored bow up, plug out it works fine. Most like mine just drain to the bilge anyway.
Rodney

Kris

Quote from: Truck57 on March 19, 2018, 09:48:44 AM
Thanks Kris. Good idea to check if the water makes it to and out the transom drain hole. The back of my boat is one big storage area mess right now squeezed into my garage and I didn't even look for puddling the first time. I'd hate to think the foam is absorbing a lot of water; it's quite "crumbly" in the drain hole...
I don't think your boat's flotation is absorbing the water. But, it would not be the first one I have seen where the drainage from bow to stern is clogged up. If that is the case, the next step is a little tricky.

Truck57

Quote from: Kris on March 20, 2018, 12:24:30 PM
I don't think your boat's flotation is absorbing the water. But, it would not be the first one I have seen where the drainage from bow to stern is clogged up. If that is the case, the next step is a little tricky.

Roto-Rooter? Not borrowing trouble with that situation, yet...
Yesterday 60 and sunny to look over the boat; today 28 and snowing big time, ugh!

Kris

Welcome to Spring in Maryland. People who never lived here don't understand. I have lived here most of my life and know the old saying,  "Don't like the weather? Wait five minutes or drive five miles."
It probably is working as designed but never hurts to check. A lot of boats just allow the water to flow past where it can which sometimes takes awhile.
BTW,  I'm in Westminster, where are you?

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Truck57 on March 20, 2018, 05:21:04 PM
Roto-Rooter? Not borrowing trouble with that situation, yet...
Yesterday 60 and sunny to look over the boat; today 28 and snowing big time, ugh!

Run a long skinny rod from the drain hole to the bow, not an easy job at all, you'll probably make up a few new cuss words if you try.
Rodney

Truck57

Definitely will be checking for proper draining and do the drain hole to bow check with a couple of flexible fiberglass wire pull rods I have (may be a few feet short to reach the bow but it's a start.)
Kris, I'm nearby in Fredneck County :) Middletown area. Instead of readying the boat, will be cranking up the snow blower later today...  ~xyz