Jason lees fishing line

Started by outdoorsman_3, March 19, 2018, 02:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsman_3

Anyone know what kind of line Jordan Lee was fishing with on his spinning reels at the classic?  He was fishing a high vis line in that clear water. It peaked my interest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outdoorsman_3

Quote from: outdoorsman_3 on March 19, 2018, 02:34:52 PM
Anyone know what kind of line Jordan Lee was fishing with on his spinning reels at the classic?  He was fishing a high vis line in that clear water. It peaked my interest!

Meant to state Jordan in the title!

Mike Cork

I knew who you were talking about, I wish I had the answer, going to be interesting to find out.

If you go to your first post and edit it, you can change the title ;)

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

Seaguar, probably flourocarbon.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

analfisherman

You talking about this line?

Asked why he spools his Quantum spinning reels with uniquely colored pink braid, the 24-year-old responded with an honest grin, "Because they were out of fluorescent yellow."  :)

And based on his remarkable Top 10 finish in this season's Toyota Bassmaster Angler of the Year standings, apparently the bass aren't as picky as most of us think they are.

He said "Whether it's yellow or pink, I just want to be able to see it," says Lee. "It's something I figured out early last spring at the Bassmaster Central Open on Lake Amistad. We were drop shotting really finicky bass in that deep, clear water, and I could hardly see the green braid I was using. And that's a problem because you can't tell nearly as well if your line moves when a bass grabs your Dream Shot as it's falling."
Lee soon switched to fluorescent colored braid – and it's increased the number of finesse bites he's connected with ever since.
"The other thing I really like about fluorescent braid on a spinning reel is that I can tell where a bass is headed once I've set the hook. That helps a lot as they're coming out of deep water, and you're fighting them on light line," adds Lee.

"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Smallie_Stalker

I don't believe in the theory that line size or color spooks fish. Just about all I use is hi-vis braid and I fish gin-clear glacial lakes.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Lipripper

Anal thanks for the info I knew if you saw this post you would research it till you found the answer.  ;D
As I ge tolder and my eyes get worse I've been thinking about switching to fluorescent colored braid so I could see it better.   

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

outdoorsman_3

It was a hi vis yellow.  It very well could be braid. I was hoping it was a fluorocarbon but it is very interesting.

Donald Garner

anal, tks for the input.  I watched his after weigh in press conference and one of the guys asked him that same question.  He told them just about what anal had printed.  Makes since if you're into that type of fishing.  You got to be able to see your line to set the hook.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Fun4me

Yep. According to the press conference he was throwing 8lb. Tatsu leader to 30lb. smackdown braid.

D.W. Verts

Man, this sport is gettin' complicated.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

SteveTX

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on March 19, 2018, 05:27:19 PM
I don't believe in the theory that line size or color spooks fish. Just about all I use is hi-vis braid and I fish gin-clear glacial lakes.
I agree people give fish way more credit for smarts than they deserve sometimes. 

SFL BassHunter

Bet he's using a leader though.

That negates any color you put on your main line. Even with green braid you'd use a leader for dropshot I think or am I wrong?

Sorry I don't dropshot here in my 4 feet of water lakes lol. So I'm not 100% familiar with the ins and outs of the technique.

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Deadeye

I've been thinking of trying a Color Braid for my outfits here in Florida. Why? Well I noticed that I could see the line so much easier with the ones that had older and thus more faded braid on them. Several times the only indication of a hit I had was the line moving off. With the lighter braid I can see it better than the darker braid.

I would still darken the first 3-4 ft with a sharpie like I do now, although I'm starting to think that this too is an Old Wives Tale. I use Straight Braid for swimming a worm and I almost never color the braid and the fish just don't seem to care.

jocko

He does use a fluorocarbon leader.  The fish are line shy in clear deep water. 

I use Yellow Braid and use a 6lb leader on my spinning gear on Lanier.  Perfect for Ned rigs, shakeyhead worm, drop shot.  The trick is - you can SEE the take before feeling it.  The line takes off or jumps on the slow fall.  Read about this on FLW. 

I hate braid....   but it's what I'm doing now.

cojab

Quote from: D.W. Verts on March 19, 2018, 10:15:12 PM
Man, this sport is gettin' complicated.

I have to agree. It's either simple mono or braid for me, no leaders, no special colors.
But I haven't made it to fish the classic yet either.
TTK has spoken.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on March 20, 2018, 05:53:50 AM
Bet he's using a leader though.

That negates any color you put on your main line. Even with green braid you'd use a leader for dropshot I think or am I wrong?

Sorry I don't dropshot here in my 4 feet of water lakes lol. So I'm not 100% familiar with the ins and outs of the technique.

I can only speak for myself here but I use straight hi-vis braid for dropshotting - no leader whatsoever. The only reason I use hi-vis braid is because I'm older and my eyes are not what they used to be. Even with prescription glasses I still need the high-vis line to see when it moves off so I know it's time to set the hook.

Again, just what works for me.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on March 20, 2018, 05:12:14 PM
I can only speak for myself here but I use straight hi-vis braid for dropshotting - no leader whatsoever. The only reason I use hi-vis braid is because I'm older and my eyes are not what they used to be. Even with prescription glasses I still need the high-vis line to see when it moves off so I know it's time to set the hook.

Again, just what works for me.
I hear you you Smallie and I'm not knocking it. If it works for you that's awesome! I just highly doubt the pros with money on the line are doing that. When you get to that level you want to have every advantage you can get. Even if in reality it's insignificant the mental aspect of it can be very significant.

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

analfisherman

Just a thought, MANY pros who use Flouro leaders DON'T use them to decrease 'VISIBILITY'....rather due to abrassion resistance of Flouro as opposed to the abrassion resistance of straight braid.

Quote from Hackney, Hackney has always used 65-pound braid, regardless of the water clarity. He rarely ties on a fluorocarbon leader and doesn't worry about the line spooking fish.

BUT TO BE FAIR  lo (man my debate team coach would be pissed at me...he always said, "Only present the information that BACKS YOUR SIDE of the debate!")  8) lo

https://www.bassmaster.com/gear/high-visibility-braid
So the Pros JUST LIKE OUR MEMBERS all have thier own thoughts on using Braid.
Guess you would have to ask them individually to understand thier own thoughts.

And different waters may give them different reasons WHY they used it there.

But as always, there is more than ONE reason for doing ANYTHING fishing related.

BUT confidence is ALWAYS a MAJOR contributer to success......whether the 'facts' actually back up your own REASONS for using or doing whatever BRINGS you CONFIDENCE.  ;) ;D
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

Oldfart9999

I'm using more and more straight braid for bottom bouncing and brighter colors so I can see the line better and the results so far are good.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.